His Holiness should be called Theodorus II

2»

Comments

• This thread needs to die lol.. He was ordained as Tawadros, therefore everywhere in the world he should be called Tawadros. If he went to Japan they would NOT translate his name into the Japanese equivalent.

His name is Tawadros.
    End of story.
  • [quote author=caji link=topic=13840.msg164019#msg164019 date=1364489530]
    If he went to Japan they would NOT translate his name into the Japanese equivalent.

The name of the Bishop of Rome or Constantinople Patriarch is translated at local equivalent  :)

For example, in Serbia we call todays Bishop of Rome Фрањо, and Constantinople Patriarch we call Вартоломеј.
  • [quote author=Servos link=topic=13840.msg164020#msg164020 date=1364503415]
    [quote author=caji link=topic=13840.msg164019#msg164019 date=1364489530]
    If he went to Japan they would NOT translate his name into the Japanese equivalent.

The name of the Bishop of Rome or Constantinople Patriarch is translated at local equivalent  :)

For example, in Serbia we call todays Bishop of Rome Фрањо, and Constantinople Patriarch we call Вартоломеј.

Hmmm interesting... I'll keep calling him Tawadros though. I think because our church has a large attachment to Egypt itself and even the Arabic language, that any other name like Theodore or Theodoros won't be accepted by the people. It might just be a matter of culture.
  • Dear caji,
    Tawadros has nothing to do with Arabic language
    oujai
  • This thread has went too far. Yet I will add my two cents.

The argument that the name Tawadros should have a variant depending on the local variation does not hold water if the usage is within the same Church.

In other words, the name Tawadros is the Coptic way of saying the name. So, within the Coptic Church, the name should stay the same wherever the local Coptic church is located. Otherwise, we should change all the names of the congregation of saints depending on the local variation. This would be silly.