Fasting rules

Hi Guys,

I've noticed that there is a difference between the fasting rules as adhered to by Copts in America to how I'm used to doing it in Australia.

On Wednesday/Friday outside of the major fasts, the Americans I met only fasted until sunset.  In Australia we don't eat for the whole of Wednesday or Friday (night and day).

I was wondering if anyone knows why this is and what the correct practice should be?

God Bless,

LiD

Comments

• there is really no difference in fasting rules based on region in the world....that is the first time i hear about this....weird.

liturgies in my church, New Jersey USA, we have liturgies on fridays and wednesdays in the morning 9-11. Only during Lent and Advent do we have liturgies later int he day to fast more without any food. most of the church in the areas follow egypts' tradition of praying liturgies from Noon to 3pm...my church does 4-7 pm just for those who get out of work later.
  • Wait, you're supposed to fast (not eating at all) all day on wednesdays and fridays? Now, we're talking! That's my style. I barely eat all week! Yes! It's like I'm a saint now. But I'm not, boohoo, I'll go dig myself a hole and hide in it now.
  • [quote author=So Minute, So Lonely, So Blue link=topic=14146.msg162615#msg162615 date=1358005522]
    Wait, you're supposed to fast (not eating at all) all day on wednesdays and fridays? Now, we're talking! That's my style. I barely eat all week! Yes! It's like I'm a saint now. But I'm not, boohoo, I'll go dig myself a hole and hide in it now.

nononoo....and yesss. there is different kind of fasts. abstaining from food is en extra step we take in Advent and Lent. how many hours abstaining from food?...that depends on the person. also, this is different than EVERY WEEK's wednesday and friday fast that never changes (accept on the Fifties or if Easter, Christmas or Epiphany come on it)
  • Lol its as if there are "fasting time zones". I never heard of fasting only till sunset either, I believe the Wednesday and Friday fasts should be the entire day.
  • [quote author=Monasticsx link=topic=14146.msg162627#msg162627 date=1358025281]
    Lol its as if there are "fasting time zones". I never heard of fasting only till sunset either, I believe the Wednesday and Friday fasts should be the entire day.

you are confusing vegan fasting with abstaining from food fasting....
  • Are you telling me we are supposed to abstain from food ALL day on Wednesdays and Fridays?! This is honestly the first I heard of such practice. . .

Is there a rule you can refer us to, LiD? I was under the impression the duration of the period of abstaining from food depended on each person's ability and instruction of his/her FoC. . .
  • [quote author=Andrew link=topic=14146.msg162630#msg162630 date=1358052811]
    Are you telling me we are supposed to abstain from food ALL day on Wednesdays and Fridays?! This is honestly the first I heard of such practice. . .

Is there a rule you can refer us to, LiD? I was under the impression the duration of the period of abstaining from food depended on each person's ability and instruction of his/her FoC. . .

nooo......i am saying for the whole day, we fast vegan.....for the as much as we can, we abstain from food.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=14146.msg162628#msg162628 date=1358028260]
    [quote author=Monasticsx link=topic=14146.msg162627#msg162627 date=1358025281]
    Lol its as if there are "fasting time zones". I never heard of fasting only till sunset either, I believe the Wednesday and Friday fasts should be the entire day.

you are confusing vegan fasting with abstaining from food fasting....

For the sake of confusion, I meant we should have a vegan fast the entire day, but abstaining is a decision made personally, mainly with your FOC.
  • Mina and Monasticsx, it seems we are on the same page, but LiD's original post indicates he was talking about abstaining from food: [quote author=LoveIsDeep link=topic=14146.msg162590#msg162590 date=1357909333]
    In Australia we don't eat for the whole of Wednesday or Friday (night and day).

Maybe I misunderstood?

Assuming I did, I can see the logic in people switching their diet after sunset, since this is considered the end of the day according to the ajbeya hours and early church, correct?
  • RO has not posted on this thread.  Monasticsx just has the same picture.
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=14146.msg162664#msg162664 date=1358155839]
    RO has not posted on this thread.  Monasticsx just has the same picture.

My mistake. I edited my post to correct it.
  • What we do on Wednesdays, Fridays, Advent, etc. is actually two things: fast from food and abstain from food. Fasting literally means eating nothing. The word "breakfast," reserved for the first meal of the day, literally means "break fast," meaning break your fast since you had dinner or whatever.

We also abstain from different foods, such as no meat during all fasts and no fish during the Great Lent and the Wednesday and Friday fasts.

As far as I was taught, the "strict" fasting days such as Wednesday, Friday, Jonah's Fast, and the Great Lent are all supposed to be fasted on until the evening, while on the other days, we only actually abstain from food (and fast until after the Divine Liturgy).
  • [quote author=Michael Boutros link=topic=14146.msg162686#msg162686 date=1358225540]
    As far as I was taught, the "strict" fasting days such as Wednesday, Friday, Jonah's Fast, and the Great Lent are all supposed to be fasted on until the evening, while on the other days, we only actually abstain from food (and fast until after the Divine Liturgy).

Abstinence usually means eating nothing at all too.  Anyway, keeping with your terminology, I have a point which diverges from LiD's question (I've never heard of not eating at all for day and night EVER).

The point is: I disagree with what you said above - there is fasting on every day of any fast except Saturday and Sunday.
  • Medical assistants are usually assigned a variety of administrative and clinical assignments. Their daily tasks are determined by their office type, placement and size of company. The mean medical assistant salary in Vermont is $45,000 annually.  Medical Assistant Salary in Vermont
  • Hi Guys,

I was a little vague with my wording, I meant abstaining from non-vegan foods not total abstinence.

Thanks for the replies, you've answered my question.

Please pray for me,

a.