Giving Tithes

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi All,

I have small question concerning the paying of tithes:

a) Who should your 10th's go to? Does this have to go to a priest, to the Church, to someone needy?

b) What if you are needy - what if you happen to actually be in need, could you donate to yourself?

Thanks

Comments

• [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=14047.msg162143#msg162143 date=1356128728]
    Hi All,

a) Who should your 10th's go to? Does this have to go to a priest, to the Church, to someone needy?

I think you can decide where your tithes go - if you wish you can donate to particular churches, or give to particular charities, or to particular individuals who are in need. I think the only point to mention is that if you have needy relatives, you should give a portion of your tithes to them (1 Tim 5.8].

b) What if you are needy - what if you happen to actually be in need, could you donate to yourself?

I don't think so. The idea is that the tithe is not your own, but rather belongs to the Lord. That money is not yours to keep - keeping the tithe is tantamount to stealing from the poor, because it is their money and not your own. The widow who gave her two mites (Mark 12 and Luke 21) to the treasury of the Temple was blessed more than all who gave to the treasury "...for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.” (Mark 12:44). Though a person may be needy, giving the tithe is still a duty, and God will reward that person many times over for giving from their need.

Just my own thoughts.
  • [quote author=JG link=topic=14047.msg162145#msg162145 date=1356131170]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=14047.msg162143#msg162143 date=1356128728]
    Hi All,

I think you can decide where your tithes go - if you wish you can donate to particular churches, or give to particular charities, or to particular individuals who are in need. I think the only point to mention is that if you have needy relatives, you should give a portion of your tithes to them (1 Tim 5.8].

I don't think so. The idea is that the tithe is not your own, but rather belongs to the Lord. That money is not yours to keep - keeping the tithe is tantamount to stealing from the poor, because it is their money and not your own. The widow who gave her two mites (Mark 12 and Luke 21) to the treasury of the Temple was blessed more than all who gave to the treasury "...for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.” (Mark 12:44). Though a person may be needy, giving the tithe is still a duty, and God will reward that person many times over for giving from their need.

Just my own thoughts.

OK JB,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts.
    I see what you mean.
    I guess that seeing you quoted the Bible then that probably answers my question.

Thanks
    ps.. great to see u again here bro.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=14047.msg162154#msg162154 date=1356160925]
    Thanks
    ps.. great to see u again here bro.

Great to see you around here too bro, hope to see more of your edifying topics  :D