Books about Coptic Monasticism

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello,

I have been on the search for books about Coptic Monasticism but I've hit a brick wall! So far the only one I have found is Sublimity of Monasticism by H.G. Anba Mettaous.

Also, any books about the cornerstones of monasticism (obedience, chastity, poverty)  would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly!

Comments

• Paradise of the Desert Fathers - Volume 1 and 2 are both amazing! If you've heard of 'بستان الرةبان' (bustan al rohban), this is the English translation.

Pray for me.
  • The Paradise of the Desert Fathers that is translated into English is the Syriac version translated by Budge. The Arabic "Bustan al rohban" has never been translated into English because there are multiple versions of it. The English translation of the Apophthegmata Patrum, The Sayings of the Desert Fathers, is a translation of the Greek. There is a small Coptic (Sahidic) version that is different than all of these with some similarities to the Greek version. I thought it would be a good idea to clarify what you would actually read.

Regarding finding sources, I suggest you start with Rev. Tim Vivian's books. They are English translation of Coptic texts for St Antony, St Macarius the Spirit-bearer, St Macarius the Alexandrian, the Monks of Upper Egypt (St Phib and St Apollo, known in the Coptic commemoration as St Abib and St Apollo), St John the Short (The Workshop of Virtue) and my absolute favorite St Daniel of Scetis (Witness of Holiness). He is working on St Maximus and St Dometius and St Bishoy (but he tells me that these will come years later)

Additionally, you can read the Symposium series by Gawdat Gabra and Hany Takla. These include "Christianity and Monasticism in Upper Egypt: Akhmim and Sohag", "Christianity and Monasticism in the Fayoum Oasis", "Christianity and Monasticism in Wadi Natrun", and "Christianity and Monasticism in Aswan and Nubia".

I would start out with some of these. If you want more, I can get your more suggestions.
  • Thank you guys for the recommendations!

[quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=13781.msg160624#msg160624 date=1350924148]
    The Paradise of the Desert Fathers that is translated into English is the Syriac version translated by Budge. The Arabic "Bustan al rohban" has never been translated into English because there are multiple versions of it.

That makes so much sense! I downloaded the English translation of the Syriac version and the Arabic "Bustan al rohban" previously but I noticed that they didn't match so I wasn't sure whether to trust them or not since I downloaded them from 4shared. This explains a lot!