5 names of the nominees to the Papacy announced

May God choose for us the righteous and just shepherd according to his heart's desire

Comments

• Well, at least the Diocesan Bishops have been removed. :)

May God's will be done!
  • Does this mean that HG Anba Rofail is still a candidate? I read an article a few days ago saying that him and HG Anba Kyrillos of Milan dropped out for health reasons,
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=13770.msg160474#msg160474 date=1350187692]
    Does this mean that HG Anba Rofail is still a candidate? I read an article a few days ago saying that him and HG Anba Kyrillos of Milan dropped out for health reasons,

HG Bishop Rofail is still a candidate, he cancelled his withdrawal. There's an article in it on copticworld's website. Gb!
  • Can we get bios?? Or YouTube vids? Or anything??
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=13770.msg160488#msg160488 date=1350254068]
    Can we get bios?? Or YouTube vids? Or anything??

• Here are brief bios in order of monastical age:

Fr. Rafael Ava Mina:

HG Bishop Tawadros:

HG Bishop Rafael:

Fr. Pachomius el Souriany:

Fr. Seraphim el Souriany:
  • ^Thanks guys!!
  • The dates have changed! The last three candidates will be named on October 29th and the Altar Ballot will be on Nov. 4th. Time to fast and pray like we never have before!

https://www.copticworld.org/articles/1313/

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Ephesians 6:18

In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; Romans 8:26

May God's name be glorified!
  • [quote author=Tishori link=topic=13770.msg160515#msg160515 date=1350417069]
    The dates have changed! The last three candidates will be named on October 29th and the Altar Ballot will be on Nov. 4th. Time to fast and pray like we never have before!

https://www.copticworld.org/articles/1313/

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Ephesians 6:18

In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; Romans 8:26

May God's name be glorified!
    I guess the sooner the better. May the will of the most-Holy Trinity be done!
  • please update us when the new fasting dates are announced.
  • Everything has been moved up very quickly.

Oct. 29th: will be the election process (to narrow to 3 persons)

Nov. 4th:  The Divine Liturgy (for the Altar Lot)

HG, Bp. Bula announced.

It will be finalized by His Beatitude, Metropolitan Bakhomious (the Patriarchal Locum Tenens) on Thursday.

I guess those from the Diaspora who will be voting need to get plane tickets quickly.

Supposedly, they are going to allow for proxy voting by Power of Attorney.  Power of Attorney would be obtained from the embassies or consulates at the proxy vote delegated to someone (assumingly in Egypt).

There is definitely a wind that forced this hurried change from the Nov 24-25 to December 4th timeframe that was originally announced.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=13770.msg160522#msg160522 date=1350425730]
    There is definitely a wind that forced this hurried change from the Nov 24-25 to December 4th timeframe that was originally announced.

What wind?
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=13770.msg160525#msg160525 date=1350428842]
    No comment.

Lol!

Is it:

1) Rumblings from inside the Egyptian Govt.
    2) Certain people unhappy with the final 5 names
  • I have many mixed feelings at this time! I'm excited to see our new Pope, but I'm a bit sad cuz i can't imagine anyone in Pope Shenouda's place  :-\ May God's Will be done!
  • Does anyone know anything about a fast? Can we fast 3 extra days just for the safety of those attending the Liturgy on Nov 4th?

Muslims scare me.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=13770.msg160541#msg160541 date=1350440798]
    Does anyone know anything about a fast? Can we fast 3 extra days just for the safety of those attending the Liturgy on Nov 4th?

Muslims scare me.

The church is going to fast two sets of three-day one degree fasts: Oct. 22-24 for the voting process and Oct. 31- Nov. 2 for the Altar Lot.
  • edited September 2014
    Thank you.

But how are we supposed to eat chocolate on October 31st with a fast? They should change it. (Sarcasm)
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=13770.msg160544#msg160544 date=1350443393]
    Thank you.

But how are we supposed to eat chocolate on October 31st with a fast? They should change it.

Lol, I am very happy that you are back. I am still hoping that one day Fr. Peter would come back too...
  • OH YEAH! TITL WELCOME BACK!
    Thank you.

But how are we supposed to eat chocolate on October 31st with a fast? They should change it.

Well either way it's a Wednesday so we'd be fasting anyway :P

Plus, Halloween is a satanic, pagan holiday that we do not celebrate :P
    Thank you.

I couldn't resist commenting, but....

Collect the candy that night but save them for the Nov 4 liturgy, munching them down like popcorn, in anticipation for the suspense of the casting of lots.

:-P
  • [quote author=minasoliman link=topic=13770.msg160562#msg160562 date=1350529456]
    [quote author=TITL link=topic=13770.msg160544#msg160544 date=1350443393]
    Thank you.

I couldn't resist commenting, but....

Collect the candy that night but save them for the Nov 4 liturgy, munching them down like popcorn, in anticipation for the suspense of the casting of lots.

:-P
    LOL this is genius
  • Fr. Rofael looks just like Anba Karas in your prof pic TITL
  • Hi,

thanks for posting these interviews.

im so happy to see our choices. I love them all.

I admit, and have to agree with Bishop Paula, that we are going to know the bishops more than the monks; but the monks who have been shortlisted are so nice. So cute.

I think the Church will be in safe hands.

It was my first time to see Anba Tawadaros - he seems such a beautiful and softly spoken man. The monks are just so adorable and so genuinely modest in their behaviour.

Regardless of this, Im interested in policies. Anba Paula spoke too much, and didnt ask the right questions:

The questions we need answers to are as follows:

* The charismatic movement in the CHurch, what do you think about this?
    * The unity between the CHurches, what will you do?
    * The rise of Islamic fundamentalism - how will the Church behave towards this? How will the church fight for the rights of COpts in Egypt??

We need answers to these questions. I think everyone is nice, but this isn't a popularity contest.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=13770.msg160582#msg160582 date=1350710782]
    Hi,

I admit, and have to agree with Bishop Paula, that we are going to know the bishops more than the monks; but the monks who have been shortlisted are so nice. So cute.

It was my first time to see Anba Tawadaros - he seems such a beautiful and softly spoken man. The monks are just so adorable and so genuinely modest in their behaviour.

Regardless of this, Im interested in policies. Anba Paula spoke too much, and didnt ask the right questions:

* The rise of Islamic fundamentalism - how will the Church behave towards this? How will the church fight for the rights of COpts in Egypt??

We need answers to these questions. I think everyone is nice, but this isn't a popularity contest.

Is it me or we are making it more and more like a secular election. We do not need answers for these questions from the pope candidates, but we need them from the church as a whole. It should not matter who the pope is. The answers should be all the same. They have always been the same, and I hope they will always be the same.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13770.msg160585#msg160585 date=1350770083]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=13770.msg160582#msg160582 date=1350710782]
    Hi,

Is it me or we are making it more and more like a secular election. We do not need answers for these questions from the pope candidates, but we need them from the church as a whole. It should not matter who the pope is. The answers should be all the same. They have always been the same, and I hope they will always be the same.

I see what you mean. You made a good point.

However, I do beg to differ.

There could be a candidate who is more zealous towards Church unity than another candidate.

I know, AS A MATTER OF FACT, that there are Coptic Bishops (and priests and servants UNDER these Bishops) that are very charismatic in nature.

So, I do not entirely agree.

There could be a bishop who is more zealous towards integration with the Catholics. That does NOT mean that he will compromise the Orthodox faith, but unity will be so high on his agenda that he may formulate a framework in which our differences can be seen as semantical rather than dogmatic (for example).

Look at the question that Bishop Paula asked: "What would you do about Ethiopia using the river nile's resources?"

What the heck does this have to do running a Coptic Church? The point is this - each candidate will have different views, and their thinking or reasoning is not the same.

A bishop, who is well travelled, MAY have noticed that there are Copts living in the Diaspora who have NO Coptic Church. What should he do? he may be more inclined to make bridges towards the catholic church (maybe?!)