Saturday Vespers

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
During the vespers prayers on Saturday, why do we sing the Verses of cymbals in the Watos tune? Since the vespers is considered part of Sunday's prayers and we read Sunday's reading, why do not we sing them in Sunday's tune (Adam)?

Comments

• I think Vespers is still considered the day before. Because even the Vespers Praise (before Vespers) is prayed in the Watos tune (when it's Saturday). We say the Watos Psalis, the Saturday Theotokia, chant the Watos Antiphonarium, and the Watos Conclusion to the Theotokias.

but then Midnight Praise comes along (should be after midnight...) and it's Adam because it's after midnight.

This isn't based on any factual information. Just my guesses :P
  • [quote author=morcousw link=topic=13736.msg160219#msg160219 date=1348979526]
    I think Vespers is still considered the day before. Because even the Vespers Praise (before Vespers) is prayed in the Watos tune (when it's Saturday). We say the Watos Psalis, the Saturday Theotokia, chant the Watos Antiphonarium, and the Watos Conclusion to the Theotokias.

but then Midnight Praise comes along (should be after midnight...) and it's Adam because it's after midnight.

This isn't based on any factual information. Just my guesses :P

So yesterday, we should have prayed the verses of cymbals and the doxology for the cross?
  • I wonder the same thing. Raising of Vesper incense is part of the liturgy so it should be following the rite of that liturgy. For example, if the Feast of the Transfiguration is tomorrow, we would pray festive tune and the rites for the feast.  But on Saturdays, we pray saturday up until Tasbeha. It confuses me.
  • on saturday night there are a few things that are supposed to happen first tasbehat asheya ( a mini tasbeha before the asheya) this is said  in watos tune and thus signifies the end of the watos days. the asheya or vespers then are all in adam tune and so are the midnight praises. all of these prayer are supposed to happen well and truly into the night but because alot of people cannot make it the time for the end of the coptic day is the sunrise.
  • [quote author=kahraba13 link=topic=13736.msg160297#msg160297 date=1349316011]
    on saturday night there are a few things that are supposed to happen first tasbehat asheya ( a mini tasbeha before the asheya) this is said  in watos tune and thus signifies the end of the watos days. the asheya or vespers then are all in adam tune and so are the midnight praises. all of these prayer are supposed to happen well and truly into the night but because alot of people cannot make it the time for the end of the coptic day is the sunrise.

So why do we pray tenooshot emefiot instead of amoini maranooshot in the vespers?
  • because during saturday vespers its considered as early sunday morning and so is adam and thats why we dont say amoini
  • [quote author=kahraba13 link=topic=13736.msg160297#msg160297 date=1349316011]
    on saturday night there are a few things that are supposed to happen first tasbehat asheya ( a mini tasbeha before the asheya) this is said  in watos tune and thus signifies the end of the watos days. the asheya or vespers then are all in adam tune and so are the midnight praises. all of these prayer are supposed to happen well and truly into the night but because alot of people cannot make it the time for the end of the coptic day is the sunrise.

Right on the mark  ;)