Friendship

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Can someone give me the true meaning of Christian  friendship

Comments

• A true Christian friend is a friend who does all the normal things a normal friend would but bring you closer to Christ at the end of the day. Which includes bringing you to church, warning you when you do wrong, supports you etc.

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up.” Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
  • True Christian friendship is found in a true friend who is unwilling to accommodate you in any of the normal sins you like to commit when "hanging out" with "friends". 

For example:  Do you find that you typically gossip or slander people when hanging with friends and casual conversation ensues?  A true friend will not do that with you, and will either change the subject or ignore you when you get on one of your "rants".

A true Christian friend will not be "cool" with you if you say you want to go get drunk, or do drugs, or anything like that.  You will find that a true Christian friend will prefer dispassionate conversation to any kind of conversation that includes belittling, condemning, slandering, or encouraging any of the aforementioned things in preference to talk of godly, holy things.
  • [quote author=Athanasius1 link=topic=13643.msg159172#msg159172 date=1345619448]
    A true Christian friend is a friend who does all the normal things a normal friend would but bring you closer to Christ at the end of the day. Which includes bringing you to church, warning you when you do wrong, supports you etc.

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up.” Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

I like this reply, but I just wonder sometimes 'who' is a true Christian?-- As in like when Christ asked, "Who is my Mother, brother, sister?" Meaning: As in the story of the Good Samaritan, who was the one who did pick up the wounded, helpless man and showed him true Christian friendship.

And to this quote:

[quote author=arsenios link=topic=13643.msg159173#msg159173 date=1345621294]
    True Christian friendship is found in a true friend who is unwilling to accommodate you in any of the normal sins you like to commit when "hanging out" with "friends". 

For example:  Do you find that you typically gossip or slander people when hanging with friends and casual conversation ensues?  A true friend will not do that with you, and will either change the subject or ignore you when you get on one of your "rants".

A true Christian friend will not be "cool" with you if you say you want to go get drunk, or do drugs, or anything like that.  You will find that a true Christian friend will prefer dispassionate conversation to any kind of conversation that includes belittling, condemning, slandering, or encouraging any of the aforementioned things in preference to talk of godly, holy things.

Does this kind of frienship really exist?? Where? I'm coming to live there  ;D

• Purity2,

I guess if you're fortunate enough to have some friends like that, then you can count yourself blessed!  :D

I am blessed to have quite a few friends like I described, and they are good examples for myself and show me how to improve.
  • Aghapy:

PeterA thank u 4 that beautiful post! No wonder John Chrysostom was so eloquent....he got it from his Mother. Lol
    But seriously it is a very beautiful piece of writing. And I know it is right.
    I had a true friend and even though they died many years ago; I am still strengthend by the memory of true friendship!
    But also saddend that true friends are so hard to find where I live. Everyone is too caught up in following the world to have time for true friendship.
    Still, I have been told to have a good friend, one has to first be a good friend.

arsenios I am really glad for u that u have such good relationships. U r blessed! Guess ur not going to tell me where u live, so I can move there...Lol.
    Come on...B A Friend......hahahaaaaaaaaaahaaa

God bless
  • [quote author=Purity2 link=topic=13643.msg159654#msg159654 date=1347113878]
    arsenios I am really glad for u that u have such good relationships. U r blessed! Guess ur not going to tell me where u live, so I can move there...Lol.

God bless

Denver!  8)
  • PeterA
    Thank you for your posting, it is beautiful. I pray that I can be the friend that it describes. 
  • Arsenios
    You are welcome to come to Bermuda at any time. You can be assured you have friends in Bermuda :)
  • [quote author=arsenios link=topic=13643.msg159661#msg159661 date=1347139092]
    [quote author=Purity2 link=topic=13643.msg159654#msg159654 date=1347113878]

God bless

Denver!  8)

O.K. Kool! Thanks! No wonder Ethiopians go there to live! Truthfully I was thinking of journeying more in the Eastern part of the world. Thinking about Spain....or somewhere like that.
    Anyone know of any true friends there?