Keeping the Lord always before your face

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
"I foresaw the Lord always before my face,
For He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken."
(Acts 2:25)

How can I keep the Lord always before my face? Surely, if this was done, it would be impossible to fall into sin. This is my main problem. When I remember the Lord, I want to pray, go to church, and live the spiritual life in full communion with Him. However, when I go to school, I forget the Lord. When I go home, I forget the Lord. When I'm on the computer, I forget the Lord. When I'm anywhere outside of Church, it is very difficult to keep the Lord ALWAYS before my face. I wish I can do this, but there are too many distractions and when I forget the Lord for a while, I weaken before satan.

Any advice on learning to keep the Lord ALWAYS before me that I may not be shaken?

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Hello, I must tell you that that's happened to the Christian life, maintaining a spiritual battle between the flesh and asks you what God asks you to do with you. It is a struggle ... your carnal life asks one thing and your spiritual life another. I read a book called the Philokalia of Jesus, trying to maintain a life of prayer and pilgrimage ... repeated incessantly: "Jesus son of David have mercy on me a sinner" was all that Bartimaeus  need to Jesus heal him ... There are other prayers monological "Kirye eleyson, Christe eleison" ... "Maranatha" ... among others. You no need to ask around, God knows all your needs.

Living in constant prayer closes the door to the devil and his temptations.  Remember, Jesus asks us the spirit to live and die to the flesh.

Ora et labora,
  • perhaps go to the reason why you keep forgetting about God in places such as school, and on the computer. the reason God is forgotten is not because you dont have the capacity to remember him, but because the desire to sin overpowers. what is it about schoolor the computer that makes you forget God?

OR, maybe youre too distracted in life and have too many things going on. in that case, make sure you somehow make time for God because a day without Him is a day spent in vain.

i know that regarding this topic of always remembering god, many will bring up the verse, "pray without ceasing". but the type of prayer that can actually be done 24/7 is an awareness and mindfulness of God's presence.
  • [quote author=ForeverYours link=topic=13591.msg158432#msg158432 date=1343970158]
    the type of prayer that can actually be done 24/7 is an awareness and mindfulness of God's presence.

And THAT is exactly what I'm asking for help with. How can we always be aware and mindful of God's presence.

By distractions, I mean just living normal life at home, going on facebook, doing homework, studying, etc. All of this is distracting. And it's hard to always have God before you in thought.
  • Like everything else in the spiritual life it comes gradually with practice. You're not gonna suddenly wake up tomorrow and focus on God the whole day. It requires many years of spiritual growth to attain such a high level at all times, but you can read and hear stories of saints who would be so absorbed in meditation on God that they would appear to switch off in mid-conversation or seemingly phase out from their surroundings because they were contemplating.

By regularly praying, and by making yourself accustomed to rising in the morning to pray and praying before sleeping for example, you are setting a good foundation to build upon under the guidance of your FOC. If you are used to waking in the morning and praying first thing then already you have set a spiritual tone for the day; you are reminded of the presence of God at the beginning of the day, and are thus more spiritually aware.

I've frequently heard father monks referring to any aspect of our spiritual lives as being of three stages: first you have to force yourself, then you practise and grow, and then you come to love it.

For example, you begin by forcing yourself to pick up the Agpeya. For a while you may not enjoy it - you might find the effort requires you to force yourself to stick with it. But there will come a point where you have become accustomed to it as a routine. You will find yourself doing it out of habit. Even though you're tired and want to drop into your bed and sleep, you will find yourself praying Compline because you're used to it. Eventually, you will come to love the prayers, come to love contemplation, come to love reading the Bible. And that's when you'll be able to always be contemplating on God; you will have grown sufficiently.
  • I agree with the previous comment, life lies between freedom and discipline, and it only comes with practice.

God be your inspiration, look to Jesus in all people, act like Him in all you do, love as He would.
  • [quote author=JG link=topic=13591.msg158459#msg158459 date=1344030507]
    Like everything else in the spiritual life it comes gradually with practice.

Any practical advice on how I could practice? Thanks!
  • He just told you.  :D
  • [quote author=arsenios link=topic=13591.msg158502#msg158502 date=1344123830]
    He just told you.  :D

Thank you! I just realized and your emphasis was actually very helpful!
  • Well practically i found that the perfect way for me was to always be reciting the Jesus prayer when i am idle or walking at school in my head.it takes a month our so to get in that habit but you will eventually start doing it subconsciously. This method has helped me a lot.
  • ^That's also an option^

Though it would be assumed that you're living the life of an Orthodox Christian in addition to saying the Jesus prayer.
  • [quote author=drilago99 link=topic=13591.msg158457#msg158457 date=1344029374]
    [quote author=ForeverYours link=topic=13591.msg158432#msg158432 date=1343970158]
    the type of prayer that can actually be done 24/7 is an awareness and mindfulness of God's presence.

And THAT is exactly what I'm asking for help with. How can we always be aware and mindful of God's presence.

By distractions, I mean just living normal life at home, going on facebook, doing homework, studying, etc. All of this is distracting. And it's hard to always have God before you in thought.

Read "the way of the pilgrim"
  • "Way of the Ascetics" is another great book that might help you. It is not really a guide to a 24/7 prayers, but it is more of a guide to an ascetics life in the world.
  • drilago99, I love you for posting this topic! Just what I need to read at the beginning of the school year!  :D

God Bless You Guys!! +++