Why did YOU convert to the Coptic Orthodox Church?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
As an Eastern Orthodox Christian, I am interested in finding out why all of you converts out there converted to the Coptic Orthodox Church, and not any one of the Eastern Orthodox Churches readily available in so many parts of the world.

I think if I was introduced to Orthodoxy at a Coptic Orthodox church and was friends with many Copts (or members of a local Coptic church), I would have converted to Oriental, Non-Chalcedonian Orthodoxy.  But since my first experience was with Eastern Orthodox Christians and the first parish I visited was in the Orthodox Church in America, I converted to Eastern Orthodoxy.

What say ye?

Comments

• As a fellow EO it was a case of falling for the bride's sisters. I only heard of OO after I joined the Russian church!
  • [quote author=aidan link=topic=13574.msg158206#msg158206 date=1343476761]
    As a fellow EO it was a case of falling for the bride's sisters. I only heard of OO after I joined the Russian church!

So you converted to a Russian Orthodox church?  What was your background before becoming EO?

What was it about the Oriental Orthodox Church that drew you in?

I really wish there were more reasons to make me start attending the local Coptic Orthodox church, but I don't know that there is.  Are 7 ecumenical councils a reason to stay in the EO?  I dunno!  I guess?
  • What was it about the Oriental Orthodox Church that drew you in?

I really wish there were more reasons to make me start attending the local Coptic Orthodox church, but I don't know that there is.  Are 7 ecumenical councils a reason to stay in the EO?  I dunno!  I guess?

arsenios,
    attend and start participating in Vespers and midnight psalmody on Saturday night, as much as you can, it is difficult and uncomfortable at first. I don't believe there is anything comparable in any Orthodox Church, or in any other church . Hopefully you can read along with the verses. Before long, you'll be able to join in, more and more. Eventually even in Coptic. Then, you'll be hooked. I was, and still am.
  • I do not think it is right for any of us to try and convince you either way. If you are satisfied with Byzantine Orthodoxy, then stick with it. If you just want to participate in certain services with OOs to fellowship, pray, and learn more about us, then I see nothing wrong with this. However, you should talk to your Priest first to get his approval.
  • [quote author=irishpilgrim link=topic=13574.msg158235#msg158235 date=1343540877]

What was it about the Oriental Orthodox Church that drew you in?

arsenios,
    attend and start participating in Vespers and midnight psalmody on Saturday night, as much as you can, it is difficult and uncomfortable at first. I don't believe there is anything comparable in any Orthodox Church, or in any other church . Hopefully you can read along with the verses. Before long, you'll be able to join in, more and more. Eventually even in Coptic. Then, you'll be hooked. I was, and still am.

I may just do that.  Believe it or not, I live only 5 minutes away from the only Coptic Orthodox parish here in Colorado:  St. Mark's in Denver. 
  • [quote author=Severian link=topic=13574.msg158239#msg158239 date=1343577290]
    If you just want to participate in certain services with OOs to fellowship, pray, and learn more about us, then I see nothing wrong with this.

This is my primary motivation right now.  Like I said in another post, there's just not enough to convince me that I absolutely NEED to come into communion with the OO right now, but I wish there was!
  • I chose the Coptic Church and Oriental Orthodoxy because it is the purest form of Christianity. It brings people close to the foundations of the Christian Church and its worship reflects what it meant to be Christian in the first centuries of Christianity, before the divisions. The Oriental Orthodox Churches never accepted compromise with temporal rulers or kings. Unfortunately, the other Churches (Eastern Orthodox & Roman Catholics) were very close to their respective governments and they didn't mind incorporating new doctrines or practices to the faith that suited the political needs of their time. Rather than accepting these compromise, the Oriental Orthodox fathers suffered martyrdom and persecution. Another aspect that characterizes Oriental Orthodoxy is its native character: Syriacs, Copts, Indians and Armenians are natives in their lands, distincs from those that arrived later and attempted to impose their cultures (Greeks, Russians, Arabs). However, they do not behave like "National Churches", the way Eastern Orthodox do. This means that Oriental Orthodoxy (Copts, Ethiopians & Syriacs in particular) are better as misionaries, as they do not act with the European concept of colonization which has made very difficult for Eastern Orthodoxy to grow among natives of other cultures who are not inmigrants from Orthodox countries. Eastern Orthodoxy often takes the shape of a group of angry ex-Catholics who despise almost every aspect of the Christian tradition of their own non-Orthodox country. On the other side, Syriac Orthodoxy in Brazil and Coptic Orthodoxy in Bolivia, appear to be more succesful. The existance of holiness outside the Church is not a subject of discussion (unlike the Greeks, who totally deny it). No time is wasted in hating Westerners, Calendar schisms or fanatical discussions about things which are not found in the Bible and which create unnecessary speculation (Purgatory, Toll houses, etc.). In Oriental Orthodoxy there is no problem with ethnicities and languages, no phyletism implied and no separation among Christians. This is what maked Oriental Christianity the best option for those who come from a Latin-American background or an African-American one. Anglo-Americans can also benefit from the peaceful environment and the way the faith is taught in Oriental Orthodoxy, they can benefit from the intense studies of Scripture in oriental Orthodoxy without loosing the sacramental life of the Church that the Protestants deny to their followers.
  • [quote author=venado link=topic=13574.msg158355#msg158355 date=1343780420]
    I chose the Coptic Church and Oriental Orthodoxy because it is the purest form of Christianity. It brings people close to the foundations of the Christian Church and its worship reflects what it meant to be Christian in the first centuries of Christianity, before the divisions. The Oriental Orthodox Churches never accepted compromise with temporal rulers or kings. Unfortunately, the other Churches (Eastern Orthodox & Roman Catholics) were very close to their respective governments and they didn't mind incorporating new doctrines or practices to the faith that suited the political needs of their time. Rather than accepting these compromise, the Oriental Orthodox fathers suffered martyrdom and persecution. Another aspect that characterizes Oriental Orthodoxy is its native character: Syriacs, Copts, Indians and Armenians are natives in their lands, distincs from those that arrived later and attempted to impose their cultures (Greeks, Russians, Arabs). However, they do not behave like "National Churches", the way Eastern Orthodox do. This means that Oriental Orthodoxy (Copts, Ethiopians & Syriacs in particular) are better as misionaries, as they do not act with the European concept of colonization which has made very difficult for Eastern Orthodoxy to grow among natives of other cultures who are not inmigrants from Orthodox countries. Eastern Orthodoxy often takes the shape of a group of angry ex-Catholics who despise almost every aspect of the Christian tradition of their own non-Orthodox country. On the other side, Syriac Orthodoxy in Brazil and Coptic Orthodoxy in Bolivia, appear to be more succesful. The existance of holiness outside the Church is not a subject of discussion (unlike the Greeks, who totally deny it). No time is wasted in hating Westerners, Calendar schisms or fanatical discussions about things which are not found in the Bible and which create unnecessary speculation (Purgatory, Toll houses, etc.). In Oriental Orthodoxy there is no problem with ethnicities and languages, no phyletism implied and no separation among Christians. This is what maked Oriental Christianity the best option for those who come from a Latin-American background or an African-American one. Anglo-Americans can also benefit from the peaceful environment and the way the faith is taught in Oriental Orthodoxy, they can benefit from the intense studies of Scripture in oriental Orthodoxy without loosing the sacramental life of the Church that the Protestants deny to their followers.

Hmm, thank you.  All very good points to consider.

Thank you for responding with such thoughtfulness.
  • Of course, the last thing I want to do is to start attending a Coptic Orthodox church that is overrun by crypto Protestants.  :-\  But we shall see; Fr. Yacob Soliman at St. Mark here in Englewood seems to be very solid in an Orthodox way.
  • Well, my Priest actually blessed me to go to St. Mark Coptic Orthodox church for Vespers, Midnight Praises, and Divine Liturgy.  Boo yaa.

:D
  • venado,
    Thank you for your thoughtful, understanding points. I am also really attracted by the OO's spirit of freedom from reliance on and subservience to governments. I don't mean disobedience, just independence from. It is hard to state precisely, but the spirit is discernible. No list is complete, but I think the monastic traditions of Coptic and Ethiopian/Eritrean liturgies and fasting are special. The Coptic life gives us an opportunity to strive for a spiritual option for every minute of day and night. And the tradition of seeming endless Our Father's and Lord have mercies, and etc., etc. Only here.
  • I chose the Coptic Church. I came from a Russian ORthodox church. THe Coptic church is more spiritual and its piety and beauty drew me in. There is an atmosphere of spirituality that is vacant in a lot of EO churches. I also reviewed the 4 ecumenical council and came to realise that the Oriental orthodox had the more correct formula. Overall i think it is more beautiful and spiritual than EO orthodoxy. But I do love both regardless. Oriental orthodoxy has a beautiful diverse ancient tradition and very stable ancient tradition. It is more conservative than EO