The blessing water

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
What is the significance of the priest spraying water on the congregation after the end of the liturgy. Did they not already take communion and have the Holy Body and the Blood in them? Also, why does the priest spray water behind his back to dismiss the angel of the sacrifice? In other words, why does he use water?

Comments

• The priest is dismissing the Angel of the Sacrifice and then dismissing the congregation.

To dismiss the Angel of the Sacrifice the priest has water poured into his hands by a deacon and the priest breaths on it three times while saying the three signings of the cross. Then sprinkles the water on the alter and up in the air saying, "O angel of this offering who ascends to the highest with this praise, remember us before the Lord that He may forgive us our sins."

Then is the dismissal of the congregation. The priest puts his wet hand on the Throne of the Chalice and then on his own beard and then on the deacons heads with his hand. Then if there are only a few in attendance he will do the same, but if there are many people, he will sprinkle the dismissal water on them.

• Thank you Joshuaa for the information, but what is the significance of water?
  • The water that is being sprinkled over you after d prayer gets over is very pure and spiritual. This is d sole reason I attend d morning prayer as well as d evening prayer. Even a little water being sprinkled will diminish all your sins. I suggest every1 should observe d  difference therefter.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13529.msg157743#msg157743 date=1342447867]
    Thank you Joshuaa for the information, but what is the significance of water?

The water is an offering (aka pour offering) that has been offered along with the wine and the bread. After communion, the water is a thanksgiving offering to the Lord for the Eucharist. 

It should not be sprinkled but should be put on the believers' forehead. However, because of the number od people attending, it is quicker to sprinkle it.
  • [quote author=Claudioren link=topic=13529.msg157817#msg157817 date=1342613256]
    The water that is being sprinkled over you after d prayer gets over is very pure and spiritual. This is d sole reason I attend d morning prayer as well as d evening prayer. Even a little water being sprinkled will diminish all your sins. I suggest every1 should observe d  difference therefter.

Using "d" instead of "the" gives u an extremely powerful accent lol

• To add, this water washed the body after it was selected and before it was mixed with the blood, then at the end it is mixed with the water that gets springled over the believers.
  • [quote author=drilago99 link=topic=13529.msg157822#msg157822 date=1342633258]
    [quote author=Claudioren link=topic=13529.msg157817#msg157817 date=1342613256]
    The water that is being sprinkled over you after d prayer gets over is very pure and spiritual. This is d sole reason I attend d morning prayer as well as d evening prayer. Even a little water being sprinkled will diminish all your sins. I suggest every1 should observe d  difference therefter.

Using "d" instead of "the" gives u an extremely powerful accent lol

It's a bot
  • Sorry, all these answers are not why we use water.

The reason why is this:

In the old times the Priests never sprayed water on the congregation, they would put their hands on them and give them the blessing and dismissal.  Over-time the church congregation grew very large and that is why the priest who Held the Body ONLY can put the same hand that he touched Christ with into water and sprinkle it on the congregation. You will also notice that the Priest will sometimes touch all the Deacons instead of spray water on them.  So simply the Water is just a quick way to receive the blessing without the Priest going around and around touching everyone on their head.

Note* - Only the Priest who gives out the Holy Body can give the blessing through the touch or water.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=13529.msg157818#msg157818 date=1342618126]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13529.msg157743#msg157743 date=1342447867]
    Thank you Joshuaa for the information, but what is the significance of water?

The water is an offering (aka pour offering) that has been offered along with the wine and the bread. After communion, the water is a thanksgiving offering to the Lord for the Eucharist. 

It should not be sprinkled but should be put on the believers' forehead. However, because of the number od people attending, it is quicker to sprinkle it.

Thank you Imikhail. This is what I was looking for.

• I think Pharaoh714 is right Copticandproud and the water is not an offering because why you you recieve an offering at the end of the liturgy, but it would be that the water is blessed and that you have recieved the blessing.
  • It makes sense that the church would allow the poor to make water offering since they can not afford the bread or the wine. The water is exactly like the blessed bread (loomt el baraka) that Abouna passes out after the liturgy. The blessed bread is left-overs, so to speak, from the lamb offering. This is exactly the same case with the water.

These were all pre-assumption from what Imikhail's answer. Feel free to correct me, if I am wrong.
  • The water offering is mentioned in the Old Testament in Genesis (offered by Jacob), and in first Samuel (offered by David)

At the end of the liturgy, we do pray a thanksgiving prayer, when Abouna pours the water on his hand) and  then the prayer of the laying of hands where he is supposed to lay the water on the forehead as explained.

By the way, Abouna does pour little water on the altar, the deacons should not dry it out, for it is a pour ( not poor) offering.

• [quote author=imikhail link=topic=13529.msg157838#msg157838 date=1342677600]
    The water offering is mentioned in the Old Testament in Genesis (offered by Jacob), and in first Samuel (offered by David)

At the end of the liturgy, we do pray a thanksgiving prayer, when Abouna pours the water on his hand) and  then the prayer of the laying of hands where he is supposed to lay the water on the forehead as explained.

By the way, Abouna does pour little water on the altar, the deacons should not dry it out, for it is a pour ( not poor) offering.

Oh... What is a pour offering?
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13529.msg157900#msg157900 date=1342745513]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=13529.msg157838#msg157838 date=1342677600]
    The water offering is mentioned in the Old Testament in Genesis (offered by Jacob), and in first Samuel (offered by David)

Oh... What is a pour offering?

Please read Genesis 35:14

• What happens to the water Abouna has put on the alter. When I've wrappped on the Paten, napkins, etc, I put in the front of the alter and that is where the water is. Can't remember if I've wiped this water before hand. Hope not and if so I won't now.
  • So where is the oil? Why does not Abouna pours oil too on the altar?

So as Deacons we should leave the water dry on its own, right?
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13529.msg157903#msg157903 date=1342752324]
    So where is the oil? Why does not Abouna pours oil too on the altar?

The oil and water are separate and have different purposes. The oil supposedly has been poured through the holy Myron and is done only once for consecration. The offering on the other hand, is offered repeatedly on the consecrated altar.

It should be left to dry on its own.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=13529.msg157905#msg157905 date=1342759337]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13529.msg157903#msg157903 date=1342752324]
    So where is the oil? Why does not Abouna pours oil too on the altar?

The oil and water are separate and have different purposes. The oil supposedly has been poured through the holy Myron and is done only once for consecration. The offering on the other hand, is offered repeatedly on the consecrated altar.

It should be left to dry on its own.

Thank you.

I was reading 2 Timothy 2 yesterday and I read in verse 6 about the St. Paul being offered as a pour offering. Why pour and not any other type of offering?
  • Dear Copticproud,

There are several offerings in the Bible. The pour drink offering is one of them.