Morsi picks a woman/Christian as his VP?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Anyone else find it completely ridiculous that leader of the Muslim Brotherhood is going to pick a Christian as his Vice President?

What do you think?

Comments

• He's not the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood. And it's probably just a show. Just to show people the fake side and then screw everybody over the next day.
  • Actually, quite ingenious.

VP's are there for appearance. They do nothing.
    She would not be able to become president because she is not Muslim.
    It appeases the dim minds of the western liberals.
    It takes away our ability to claim no representation.

They generally make overture to the Protestant or catholic denominations.
  • They usually get a coptic woman, who never set foot in an Orthodox church before, to have a two-in-one package.

The Coptic individuals that are suggested to be part of the government are usually pathetic and do not represent the Copts in any way.  Usually traitors and sell-outs, like Nabil Luka Bebawy and Gamal As3ad.

For all those who think there was a change of heart of the brotherhood, please think again. 84 years of terrorism and fanaticism cannot be undone in a day.   
  • [quote author=Stavro link=topic=13443.msg157114#msg157114 date=1340730424]
    They usually get a coptic woman, who never set foot in an Orthodox church before, to have a two-in-one package.

What do you mean by usually? Has this happened before?
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=13443.msg157112#msg157112 date=1340729212]
    He's not the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood. And it's probably just a show. Just to show people the fake side and then screw everybody over the next day.

Wait a second everyone...

Take a step back.

First of all, I know that the Church, or most Christians at least, picked Shafik. Understandable enough.

I know that the Church fervently prayed for God's will and for God to protect Egypt.

I know that some prayed for Shafik.

It turns out now that Morsi has been elected as President.

WHY ARE YOU SAD FOR?? DID YOU NOT PRAY????????!!!

When the results or outcomes of your prayers do not turn out as you wanted, why be upset for??? Maybe this is God's will????

Why are you putting down Morsi for?? He is trying to bring all Egyptians together - and you are not helping this.

That just makes us look bad.

It makes also our faith look bad: what's the point in praying if you start to complain about the outcome of your prayers????

Another point I wanted to make is this:

I live in a secular country - and frankly speaking, its gone to the extreme of being so aggressively secular, that respecting God , or anything Godly or Holy is so uncool. Respecting God is not supported by my government, respecting anything Holy is not supported by society, and respecting ANYTHING Godly is definitely not respected by any public institution in the European countries where I live.

So, why are you sad for that an Islamic group has won? At least the people that voted for them respect their religion and God!!

That's commendable.

I urge you all to start finding stuff in common with your fellow Egyptians and build on what you have in common. This type of rhetorical dialog against the elected President does you no favors whatsoever, nor the Church.

Let us pray , AT THE VERY LEAST, that God guides Morsi in being a good President!

• [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=13443.msg157121#msg157121 date=1340736771]
    When the results or outcomes of your prayers do not turn out as you wanted, why be upset for??? Maybe this is God's will????
    Zoxsasi,

I agree that we should all pray and have faith, but we still have to DO. When you pray that you do good on a test, and you fail, aren't still kind of upset? People in Egypt prayed that Shafik would win, but didn't they still go and vote?

I don't like how we just say pray and forget about everything else.

Why are you putting down Morsi for?? He is trying to bring all Egyptians together - and you are not helping this.

No he's not. It's all an act. This is just how he's gonna "ease in" the persecution.

• Why are you putting down Morsi for?? He is trying to bring all Egyptians together - and you are not helping this.

So if the leader of Al-Qayeda became the president of the United States you would be alright? It's the same thing in Egypt with the Muslim Brotherhood. Islam is bad enough, but now you have these radicals running the country. I don't know about you Zoxasi, but i am a little upset.
  • It really makes me sick how gullible/desperate Egyptians are. The man 'promises' some stuff, and everyone votes for him. That's if the elections were even legitimate.

• Sasi,

You cannot extrapolate the Western system of building a coalition to that of Egypt.

Once a terrorist...always a terrorist.

There were no elections.  It was a baked affair.
  • I don't agree with any of you. The message I got after the election was that now Eygpt can move on. So what happens now should be taken as face value and that it is moving on. I would not let cynicism because of what happened in the past be the message coming from the members in our church. Their message, put the past behind. Our message? Are we experts on forgiveness? Maybe, let them judge.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=13443.msg157131#msg157131 date=1340746700]

There were no elections.  It was a baked affair.
    I wouldn't go that far to say that there were NO elections. Were they rigged? Absolutely. Did shafik get most of the votes and should have won? Most probably.
  • Gents,

What makes me mad is that YOU all prayed, right??!

OK.. So why worry now for?!

What's the point in prayer if you end up worrying? How do you know that this is not God's Will?
  • I am not worried for Christians in Egypt because God is our protector and if we suffer persecution...so what?? what will He do that Our Church as a whole has not endured? We are Gods people because of our Faith and suffering we endured and will endure for His name.

The Extermist Muslims taking over is actually a good thing for Egypt, because when the Secular ideology is in charge the Muslims drooled for an Islamic leader and did terrorism vs the state just for power... Now that they have the power the Muslims will hate them for their suffering and will blame the Islamist for everything that goes wrong.  Just look at Iran Thousands are leaving Islam and coming to Christ because of the Islamist state.

The ones who will really suffer are not the Christians in Egypt, it will be the moderate Muslims.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=13443.msg157141#msg157141 date=1340761917]
    What's the point in prayer if you end up worrying? How do you know that this is not God's Will?

The fact that it happened doesn't necessarily mean it's His will. The Great Tribulation must happen, but I highly doubt that it's because God WANTS it to.
  • [quote author=George_Mina link=topic=13443.msg157146#msg157146 date=1340775059]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=13443.msg157141#msg157141 date=1340761917]

The fact that it happened doesn't necessarily mean it's His will. The Great Tribulation must happen, but I highly doubt that it's because God WANTS it to.
    I bet most people prayed for Shafik winning rather than for Gods will be done
  • There is no such thing as a moderate or liberal muslim.
    They are all the same.  Don't fool yourself.

Whether it is God's Will or not, this is the situation.

A Christian Woman as a VP is a gimmick--nothing more.
    She will be expected to make mahshee and moulokhiya for
    her masters.
  • I agree that things don't look great now but honestly how can it get worse? I know
    the brotherhood are the biggest liars and hate Copts but with the Internet age we
    are in which has expanded into Egypt and the world's eyes fixed on Egypt, they can't
    actively oppress Christians.

What they can do though is passively let mobs burn down Churches, arrest Copts for
    protecting themselves, restrict Church construction, releasing criminals who attack
    Christians, let Islamists kidnap Christian girls and restrict high positions from
    Copts, blame Copts for what's wrong with the country, etc. which is basically what
    the military and Mubarak have been doing for the past decades. Don't forget this is
    the same military that ran over Copts who were protesting at Maspero and had soldiers
    tell national TV to come kill the "Coptic dogs. This is also the same military that
    shows up a week after a Church burns down to calm the situation but never convicts
    anyone but Christians. I don't know what you guys think but that pretty much sounds
    like Shariah law to me (which btw, is already mentionned as the source of law in
    Egypt's old constitution).

Right now, I think it's best we count our losses and try to be at peace with the
    situation and try to establish prominent Copts in the gov't. I still can't trust a
    Muslim Brother but Morsi so far has said all the right things; his
    speeches have had secular tone and he even said he would appoint a Copt as VP. I
    know it's probably all for show and I doubt even if he will do it that this VP will
    have power to do anything (it's not like Morsi has that many powers either), but
    it's more than the "beloved" military or Mubarak ever did. There needs to be trust
    in God that he will make this an opportunity for us. If Morsi is willing to receive
    help from Christians, liberals and seculars and maybe the Lord has unhardened his
    heart, we should take him at his word for now and see the results because as I said,
    it clearly cannot get worse for Copts than how it was under Mubarak.

I think the MB is using this situation to group together Copts and seculars to
    defeat the army and then after push us aside when the military has backed down. So I
    say, let's take advantage of this situation and take Mr. Mursi at his word and let's
    have Copts in his gov't who will push, lock in and ensure as many minority rights as
    possible. If he truly is doing it for show or just to use us, we'll know pretty
    quick.

After all, the military and regime we are crying for is the same group that jails
    people for blasphemy, sends military expeditions with tanks against monks building a
    wall in the middle of the desert, allows attacks against Christians to go
    unpunished, conspires with Islamists groups to blow up Churches, hires Islamist
    governors, hires thugs to attack people,...
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=13443.msg157112#msg157112 date=1340729212]
    He's not the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood. And it's probably just a show. Just to show people the fake side and then screw everybody over the next day.

AGREED!