What to do in spare time?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
I am now approaching summer and school is near over. I will have a lot of spare time that I do not want to waste with xBox again...

So, what are some things that a high school student can do during his spare time on the computer at home? Are there any suggested things to read, great learning sites, or spiritually beneficial for growth sites/things that I can attend to during my spare time?

Thanks!

Comments

• Ahaha you can pray for me!!!
    Please pray for me.
  • I would gladly tell you my long list of options, but for the sake of time I'm gonna keep it limited. ;)

1. READ books by Pope Shenouda, philosophers, novels (should be rated G lol), Ladder of Ascent, the Bible or a list made by your teacher for next year

2. VOLUNTEER at your hospital, library, hospice, animal shelter

3. SERVE summer camp, hymns camp, homeless shelters W/ your church

4. LEARN coptic hymns, how to play the piano or guitar, the mechanics of a car, cooking, learn how to build things with your hands

5. TEACH yourself control; things you never worked on before, other people things you have already mastered

6. ONLINE go on tasbeha a lot :), listen to sermons

I am not sure if this applies to the state or country that you lived in, but you may take classes online to finish credits.

PHOTOGRAPHY! One thing I am sure that I will do a lot of this summer is taking pictures of nature and editing them online.

Also every single day, what I am doing is making sure that I learned 1 new thing, do 1 different thing than the day before, make the day count.

PRAYER: one of the reasons why I am distant is because during the summer I faded away from prayer, I will be well sure to pray everyday during the summer and not forget to talk to God, no matter what the day brought.

Good luck! :))
  • [quote author=CopticStrength link=topic=13343.msg156143#msg156143 date=1338249111]
    1. READ books by Pope Shenouda, philosophers, novels (should be rated G lol), Ladder of Ascent, the Bible or a list made by your teacher for next year

Any suggested reading material (with links) for high school students in New Jersey, United States?
  • Read books written by Pope Tawadros
    Prepare and study ahead for the cirricuul ahead.
    I have decided to prepare for my Bio 222 course by reading over material and answering questions from the study guide posted online.
    You can also try attending more liturgies.
    Please don't waste your day "Watching Jersey shore". I say this because i watch the show a lot, because I have a belief anba David might accediantely filmed becasue he lives in New Jersey.
  • Praise the LORD, my friend! Do nothing but PRAISE GOD ALMIGHTY, for HE has delivered us, and we owe him due thanks!
  • [quote author=So Minute, So Lonely link=topic=13343.msg162085#msg162085 date=1355841147]
    Praise the LORD, my friend! Do nothing but PRAISE GOD ALMIGHTY, for HE has delivered us, and we owe him due thanks!

I agree with most of what you have said, but with do nothing but praise Him, no. Our Lord is the bread of life and we are to live a full life. To do what is good for our life as an example to others.
      Everything has movement and our Lord has given us direction. A spiritual direction in which those who don't follow are the ones who stay. They truely do nothing.
  • [quote author=Joshuaa link=topic=13343.msg162092#msg162092 date=1355872611]
    [quote author=So Minute, So Lonely link=topic=13343.msg162085#msg162085 date=1355841147]
    Praise the LORD, my friend! Do nothing but PRAISE GOD ALMIGHTY, for HE has delivered us, and we owe him due thanks!

I agree with most of what you have said, but with do nothing but praise Him, no. Our Lord is the bread of life and we are to live a full life. To do what is good for our life as an example to others.
      Everything has movement and our Lord has given us direction. A spiritual direction in which those who don't follow are the ones who stay. They truely do nothing.

But you don't understand man! I was saved! I was going to commit the most horrific sin that is available to humans! God stopped me! PRAIS HIM , The God Complex survives!
  • [quote author=So Minute, So Lonely link=topic=13343.msg162112#msg162112 date=1355960459]
    [quote author=Joshuaa link=topic=13343.msg162092#msg162092 date=1355872611]
    [quote author=So Minute, So Lonely link=topic=13343.msg162085#msg162085 date=1355841147]

But you don't understand man! I was saved! I was going to commit the most horrific sin that is available to humans! God stopped me! PRAIS HIM , The God Complex survives!

Sorry if I was mistaken in anything. I am glad you did not commit the sin, but I don't veiw God as a complex as I see it as a pyscological term; one that tries to qualify God's behaviour. He wants us to go back to Him and He helps us do it. I don't see much more as truth is simple so everyone knows it whether they accpt it is another matter but the more complicated the truth is the harder to accept. It is accepted by those who seek a high level or closeness to God, and then God chooses those people.

• I pray you are coping so lonely. It is one of the hardest things in life to be alone. My prayers are for you as you are a brother and as we are all adopted to God, who are our true brothers and sisters? God says that we are to each other when He says to love one another.
  • I wasn't aware that Pope Tawadros had written any books?
  • [quote author=Joshuaa link=topic=13343.msg162114#msg162114 date=1355971124]

I pray you are coping so lonely. It is one of the hardest things in life to be alone. My prayers are for you as you are a brother and as we are all adopted to God, who are our true brothers and sisters? God says that we are to each other when He says to love one another.

Thank you for your prayers. Truly, I try to cope but it's just so hard! Maybe. I'll explain my name:

So Minute, So Lonely, So Blue

1. So Minute: This is to signify how small I am, and how small the earth is. It's so minute, and I'm just minute with respect to it. It's exponential minute. You can probably perform a Taylor expansion to estimate how minute I am within the minuteness of the earth.

2. So Lonely: Just like the earth is on its journey tumbling completely, I repeat, entirely, randomly; tumbling around a star which tumbles around a galaxy which is moving at great speeds away from the source; tumbling. No extra-terrestrial life has found us, or has been found, and no interstellar or interplanetary human missions have taken place to expand the human domination. I'm exponentially lonlier than that. If you're talking about true friends, well, I think I have a few, but their not religious or they are of another religion and do not frown upon premature sexuality and immorality, thus I may become influenced by them, even though they are good friends. I used to have a friend in one of the final years of high school who was a very good friend and brought me closer to God but I ruined our friendship so drastically and hurt her and life wasn't the same from then. All down-hill. Then I got influenced and befriended people that weren't bringing me closer to God. I hold on to my faith with rope but that's totally me and what influence the church has upon me! Without the church I know I'd totally be lost and die.

3. So blue, so self-explanatory, the earth is blue, it is a pale blue dot in the vastness of dark. I am exponentially bluer on the inside; so so sad, not outwardly but inwardly for many reasons. One of the reasons I strive to do my best in school and make it my priority is because I want to fix my sadness and I know that doing something I love with all my heart should do the trick... even if my heart desires for human love, since I cannot get human love, science is the way to go! Life is science after all!

That's my anonymous name explained. No one would know who I am, but they would know who I claim to be, because if one of you knew who I really am and knew me very very well in person, and read this post which I never ever told anyone about, they would deeply feel something, I don't know what but what they see in person will not match what they thought.

That is all, Signing out for the end of the world!
    Lettuce!