Talmudic law

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I was reading an article about the Talmudic law lately and it seemed to me to be pretty disgusting. When exactly did it come about? Did the Prophets in the old testament follow it? Why is it superior to the Mosaic law for the Jews?

Comments

• [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13280.msg155333#msg155333 date=1336434125]
    I was reading an article about the Talmudic law lately and it seemed to me to be pretty disgusting. When exactly did it come about? Did the Prophets in the old testament follow it? Why is it superior to the Mosaic law for the Jews?

Well, I can write you an article on anything and make everything sound disgusting. I personally haven't read the Talmud, but you should probably be checking the references that the article is telling you about. If there aren't any references cited, then something sketchy is going on  ;D.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=13280.msg155337#msg155337 date=1336442120]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13280.msg155333#msg155333 date=1336434125]

Well, I can write you an article on anything and make everything sound disgusting. I personally haven't read the Talmud, but you should probably be checking the references that the article is telling you about. If there aren't any references cited, then something sketchy is going on  ;D.

It was cited and also had pictures...
  • Then explain exactly what ur problem(s) is/are with it so that one can know how to help you.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=13280.msg155386#msg155386 date=1336521294]
    Then explain exactly what ur problem(s) is/are with it so that one can know how to help you.

This is not my question. Here are my questions:[quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13280.msg155333#msg155333 date=1336434125]
    When exactly did it come about? Did the Prophets in the old testament follow it? Why is it superior to the Mosaic law for the Jews?
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13280.msg155394#msg155394 date=1336527521]
    [quote author=geomike link=topic=13280.msg155386#msg155386 date=1336521294]
    Then explain exactly what ur problem(s) is/are with it so that one can know how to help you.

This is not my question. Here are my questions:[quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13280.msg155333#msg155333 date=1336434125]
    When exactly did it come about? Did the Prophets in the old testament follow it? Why is it superior to the Mosaic law for the Jews?

Sorry for misunderstanding, and thanks for clarifying. Somebody with knowledge of this matter should comment soon.
  • Talmudic law in general is ethnocentric and disgusting. I have a suspicion that it existed around the time of Christ, which would explain His harsh treatment of them. The talmud is not a book like the bible, it is a collection of writings, most of which were passed down through the generations. What it says about Christ, St. Mary, and Christianity in general is too blasphemous to even repeat. I actually quoted from the talmud in Reasonable Christianity to show that the jews accepted the existence of Christ and attempted to explain away the miracles of Christ.

Judaism of today is a far cry from that of the OT. What we do know is that there was a consistent theme of the jews going astray. When Christ came, that was just another example. There were many sects of judaism, like today there are many sects of Christianity. I could go on for a while about the jews, but I will spare you all.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13280.msg155397#msg155397 date=1336541460]
    Talmudic law in general is ethnocentric and disgusting. I have a suspicion that it existed around the time of Christ, which would explain His harsh treatment of them. The talmud is not a book like the bible, it is a collection of writings, most of which were passed down through the generations. What it says about Christ, St. Mary, and Christianity in general is too blasphemous to even repeat. I actually quoted from the talmud in Reasonable Christianity to show that the jews accepted the existence of Christ and attempted to explain away the miracles of Christ.

Judaism of today is a far cry from that of the OT. What we do know is that there was a consistent theme of the jews going astray. When Christ came, that was just another example. There were many sects of judaism, like today there are many sects of Christianity. I could go on for a while about the jews, but I will spare you all.

That is good enough for me. Thank you.
  • Talmudic law is effectively post-temple interpretations of the Laws of Moses.

Since the Temple was destroyed the Jews had to reinvent their faith as there was no more Temple to Sacrifice at so the Rabbis of the time wrote commentaries on the Torah, these were Talmudic texts, they had the Rabbinical Interpretations of the Law for Post-Temple Judaism.

As Ioannes said, it was very different to Temple Judaism. It was not seen as superior, just more appropriate to the Post-Temple Jewish faith.