views of Hell?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Does the Orthodox Church teach that hell is a separation from God or is hell seen as being in God's presence but since the person has rejected him it becomes unbearable?

Comments

• Hi Kalsam,
    The Eastern Orthodox church teaches that it is "being in God's presence but since the person has rejected him it becomes unbearable".  I have read references to Psalm 138:8 "If I ascend to heaven you are there; if I descend to Hades, you are present.", and the statement "God is everywhere and fills all things" (even Hell) used to confirm this position.

In Christ,
    Margaret

• [quote author=Margaret link=topic=13226.msg154984#msg154984 date=1335456194]
    Hi Kalsam,
    The Eastern Orthodox church teaches that it is "being in God's presence but since the person has rejected him it becomes unbearable".  I have read references to Psalm 138:8 "If I ascend to heaven you are there; if I descend to Hades, you are present.", and the statement "God is everywhere and fills all things" (even Hell) used to confirm this position.

In Christ,
    Margaret

Wow you took the words right out of my mouth! I was thinking of those quotes and everything! Yes, our church believes that God is everywhere, even in Hell. The reason why Hell is so horrible is because Hell is a place where God's mercy is not present, since those who are in Hell have rejected God's mercy by their own will.

Pray for me