Different "Lord have mercy endings"

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
So there are multiple endings to responses (Usually Ke to Epnevma tisoo and Lord have mercy).

The 2 obvious ones are the annual and the joyful. But there is another one that is said annual but it is longer. When do we say this and why?

Comments

• The only two I can think of in addition to your two are:

1. The "short" joyful, not sure if any other church does this.
    2. The special Lord Have Mercy for the Litany of the Oblations during Feasts that's also said after Eklinomen taghonata and Nefsenti during the weekdays of Lent.
  • I know exactly what you're talking about copticuser20.

I'll offer the ones I can think of:

1) The short annual one prayed in vespers, matins, and the long litanies during liturgy
    2) The longer annual one prayed in vespers, matins, and the long litanies during liturgy (this one has a pause, the other one doesn't). I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which of these two you chant, just depends on the time.
    3) The annual one prayed in the Prayer of Reconciliation (after "Pray for perfect peace love and the Holy Apostolic greetings")
    4) The annual one prayed in the seven short litanies (near the end of liturgy).
    5) The annual one prayed after the Litany for the Sacrifices (Oblations) in the seven short litanies in the Liturgy (before the commemoration)
    6) The annual one prayed during the commemoration (after "Pray for our fathers and brethren who have fallen asleep...") - also the same one used after "Amen Amen Pray"
    7) The Lord have mercy prayed during the Fraction (idk if you count those)
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    8) The joyful tune (as you mentioned)
    9) The special one prayed after long Tovh ejen, and I believe also after long Tovh Hina. Also, during Great Lent after the metanias.
    10) The Gregorian Lord Have Mercy
    11) The third Gregorian Lord Have Mercy (long version of number 10)

I've never heard the short joyful (unless I have and don't recognize it), but that gives us 12!
  • DEar morcousw,
    There is no special tune for Kyrialayson after the litany of peace in proper Coptic liturgy.. it may have been an Arabic intention that transferred to English, and probably other languages too..
    Oujai
  • [quote author=morcousw link=topic=13225.msg154981#msg154981 date=1335420395]
    5) The annual one prayed after the Litany for the Sacrifices (Oblations) in the seven short litanies in the Liturgy (before the commemoration)
    I want to bring your attention to this kerie leison. it has everything to do with the commemoration and NOT the response for the oblations. simply because in St. Gregory's, the litany of the oblations is said in the middle of the Short Litanies and not before the commemoration. almost all the time, the deacon responds in that way and the people respond with that kerie leison wrongly.

9) The special one prayed after long Tovh ejen, and I believe also after long Tovh Hina. Also, during Great Lent after the metanias.

I am not sure which one is this.....the one that is supposed to be said after the metania's of great lent is Kerie Leison in the tune of the oblations because it is originally the kerie leison said after the litany of the oblations in matins (or whenever it is said long).

I've never heard the short joyful (unless I have and don't recognize it), but that gives us 12!

it's just a quicker way of the normal joyful one.
  • [quote author=morcousw link=topic=13225.msg154981#msg154981 date=1335420395]
    2) The longer annual one prayed in vespers, matins, and the long litanies during liturgy (this one has a pause, the other one doesn't). I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which of these two you chant, just depends on the time.

This is the one I am talking about. Are you sure there is no specific time? Why would we say it then?