Questions

edited March 2012 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
I know this may sound trivial but are all your services on Saturdays and if so why?  Through the link below there is a church listing.  What is the difference in a Coptic Community and a Church?

http://www.suscopts.org/churches.html

Comments

• [quote author=jerry link=topic=13060.msg153404#msg153404 date=1332288688]
    I know this may sound trivial but are all your services on Saturdays and if so why?  Through the link below there is a church listing.  What is the difference in a Coptic Community and a Church?

not really. The main day of services is Sunday, the Day of the Lord. Whatever is done on saturday is part of the preparation for Sunday. Other churches (of the coptic church) has other services on others days.
  • [quote author=jerry link=topic=13060.msg153404#msg153404 date=1332288688]

http://www.suscopts.org/churches.html

There may be a service/liturgy any day of the week.  However, the main day is Sunday: And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. Acts 20:7.

I have no idea what a Coptic community vs church is. Someone from the us should know
  • A "Coptic Community" is a grouping of people that are not fully set-up as a parish.  In other words, gatherings that working towards the full establishment as a parish.
  • And the reason your community has Liturgies on Saturday is because they do not have their own priest yet. A priest has to travel from another church.

All communities start out that way in the beginning :)
  • And as in Egypt Sunday is a weekday, most people in Egypt went to mass on Friday (now they have Friday and Saturday as the weekend so I am not sure if that has changed)