Going to Church is good but I stopped

edited February 2012 in Faith Issues
This is to my dear priests who have been kind to me and never judged me. I really loved going to church and seeing you and all but I have stopped going. I do not feel like forcing myself to go when I do not see the point and I am busy. I do not believe I need to go to church every week to go to heaven. I know my parents would take me if I want to go but I feel condemned in myself for not taking care of other things in my life and some weeks are so busy when I felt I should use my sunday to do some other stuff I want to do. This is why I am not going to church tommorow.When I drive I will go more likely
(I got into a non injurious car accident)
And I feel possibly people in church feel like I am extremist for going every week or they think I am crazy trying to change the world, so I am not going.
I do not like having feelings of low self esteem when I see others talking alot and I can not, so I do not want to go. As the weeks go by you will possibly see me hardly ever attend :( because life is hard. I am no superhuman. And these forces are too strong for me
Thankyou for listening

Comments

• I am a little lost.....so you will STOP going to church every sunday and skip sundays?!

• user157, how old are  you?
  • Matthew 6:33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

SEEK FIRST the Kingdom of God AND His righteousness
    AND ALL these things shall be ADDED to you.

It's a package deal... Go to church, SEEK God FIRST, and you will find the time and effort and everything else needed to get on with your life.

Buddy, whoever in the world told you that life wouldn't be hard? It's never not...
  • I try to go when I can but sometimes life is very hard and I can not be a slave, always doing important things

• [quote author=user157 link=topic=12899.msg151672#msg151672 date=1328972564]
    I try to go when I can but sometimes life is very hard and I can not be a slave, always doing important things

The best year i had (till this day atleast) was junior yr of high school where really did nothing in school (yet still got As in all classes). The reason: i was spending every free minute in church. I live next to Saint Mark's Jersey City, NJ. I am close to the church.....let me rephrase that: I am VERY CLOSE to the church to the point that when it snows, it's faster to walk to church-5 min walk. Lent that year was the best: we had a group led by 2 servants, one teaching alhan and the other rites. We would have late liturgies wednesdays and fridays, followed by rites and tuesdays and thursdays we would have alhan. Of course being in church Saturday and Sunday is a must, no question about it. I have learned alhan and rites in those 55 days more than I have learned in the past 5 yrs (being in college). Just being in church while being hungry, thirsty, tired and yet not feel that in liturgy (we finish late liturgies at 7 pm so most older people fasted from midnight) was just the best. I truly experienced that when the body is weak, the spirit is strong.

GOD, and being in his Church, must be the priority. If you have time to waste writing on this forum than you have time to do other things. If you don't have that time, than stop writing posts and go be in church.Now I am not asking you to leave the forum because i don't like you or because you are invaluable... I just want to make it clear that being on this forum is secondary to begin with God and Church....IN FACT, it is secondary to many other things you may have in your life. you can never be toooo busy for God or Church. It is simply your choice t what to do with your time.

• I was going to name this topic originally to "I want to say something but you will use it to embarass me" and it seems this is what has happened

The same reason I have stopped going to church is why I stopped fasting so much. I believe Jesus died so we can enjoy the things of life moderately and He came to make our lives easier not harder. Fasting is only important if you want to receive something from God, not for no reason so you never get to be free to live. I know fasting is not a ceremonial law but St Paul said we are free from the burden of commandments. He who observes a day observes it to the LORD and he who does not, to the LORD he does not observe it. I don't want to go to church as a son of fear and it is not correct to go to a place which does not seem on fire enough to change the world and my life. I am waiting for a sermon which finally tells me yes this is the place which is the light of the world giving light to the darkness of a despairing world which does not know how to serve God. It must be a church in which daily those are entering who are being saved. It needs to be a place I can witness to others to join it. I probably had more to say but I do not know now

Sorry for my rambling, please forgive me
  • [quote author=user157 link=topic=12899.msg151675#msg151675 date=1328975576]
    I was going to name this topic originally to "I want to say something but you will use it to embarass me" and it seems this is what has happened

embarrass you?! I don't even know you.....

The same reason I have stopped going to church is why I stopped fasting so much. I believe Jesus died so we can enjoy the things of life moderately and He came to make our lives easier not harder.

which life are we talking about. this temporal life that we have on earth that can end at ANY MOMENT or eternal life that Christ will grant us?........

Fasting is only important if you want to receive something from God, not for no reason so you never get to be free to live.

wow. who told you that?! who deceived you and told you that God is into that relationship(need-based relationship)? so we are our own selves when life is good but when it's bad we go to God....but than leave Him when it's all cozy?! in what manner is this fair to God (atleast in our human understanding)?

I know fasting is not a ceremonial law but St Paul said we are free from the burden of commandments.

wrong. Christ did not come to destroy the commandments put to PERFECT THEM.....to bring them to higher standards since He is sacrificing Himself for our salvation. don't you think that that's the least we can offer Him for doing that?

He who observes a day observes it to the LORD and he who does not, to the LORD he does not observe it.

???

I am waiting for a sermon which finally tells me yes this is the place which is the light of the world giving light to the darkness of a despairing world which does not know how to serve God.

The Bible is not good enough when it says " YOU ARE THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD"?? you as a Christian is a reflation from the true Light. But you cannot get to that true light without the Church which leads to Him.

It must be a church in which daily those are entering who are being saved. It needs to be a place I can witness to others to join it.

Why are you so attached to other people? will they save you? will you go to heaven because others are being saved and taking you with them?! wait....are you bring people to Christ and thinking that you will be saved because of that?
    Sorry to tell you, that's not how it works. We will gain our salvation based on the struggle we may have. doing good will keep us to the way of heaven but it will not guarantee it because anyone can do good. even thieves do good to cover sins. SINS are what we will be judged on, not good deeds because  as Christians, is expected of us. When a professors has homework for me to do, I do it. I don't get extra credit for that hw because it is simply part of the grade; part of what I am required to do in class and succeed at it to pass the class.
  • wow. who told you that?! who deceived you and told you that God is into that relationship(need-based relationship)? so we are our own selves when life is good but when it's bad we go to God....but than leave Him when it's all cozy?! in what manner is this fair to God (atleast in our human understanding)?"

I don't mean if we want something worldly. I mean if we want to stop a sin or if we want God to help us understand something. If we want God to bring back a sinner to Hi bosom etc

Jesus said if you put new wine in old bottles they will brake. Do you really think God wants you to fast nearly every day of the year and meat was not made for human beings?

Jesus says when you fast to annoint your head with oil, he wants us to appear to be always happy. He does not want us to give the impression that we do not enjoy our life

I know Jesus did not die to destroy the moral law but all that does not help a human being

Isaiah speaks like this "Is it a fast to bow down your head like a bulrush and to afflict your souls? "

You said being good will get us to heaven. Pope Shenouda III says a man can resist the Holy Spirit all his life but before he dies he starts to accept him and repent he will be saved and so he has not blasphemed the Holy Spirit. But people can die any time you say and if you know to do good you must do it. So all the people who are going to heaven will be those who are extremely religious who obey all the laws and hardly any room is left for those who slumber and delay in repenting
    So really only the righteous will be saved. Those who have strived and I guess I agree

I am convinced I should go to church and hope to benefit but I am weak

BTW peter saad I am 27 and also forgot to mention I am allergic to fish
  • I believe you are taking many verses and lessons out of context

[quote author=user157 link=topic=12899.msg151678#msg151678 date=1328976922]
    I don't mean if we want something worldly. I mean if we want to stop a sin or if we want God to help us understand something. If we want God to bring back a sinner to Hi bosom etc

but who said we are not sinners....we are always sinners. It doesn't matter how many times we confess, we repent.....we still sin. I think it was Abba Makarious disciple who saw Abba Makkerious spirit ascending heaven and the devil telling him (on the way up) "are you now saved Makarious?" Abba Makarious didn't answer until he got to heaven and said "Now I am saved".....even after death, our spirits may sin.

Jesus said if you put new wine in old bottles they will brake. Do you really think God wants you to fast nearly every day of the year and meat was not made for human beings?

meat was NOT made for human beings to eat. they were created under man's authority but not for food. only when man disobeyed God killed animals (sacrificed living things) to use their skin to cover man's nakedness. please read genesis.

Jesus says when you fast to annoint your head with oil, he wants us to appear to be always happy.

WHAT?! verse says that? the verse is:
    Matthew 6:16-18
    16 "Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

self explanatory....

He does not want us to give the impression that we do not enjoy our life

but we can only enjoy our life with HIM in the picture. the things that we do are not supposed to give us joy....they simply bring us to Him and from Him, the source of all joy, happiness, comfort, love...etc, we partake. It is as it was posted before:
    Matthew 6:33: But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

I know Jesus did not die to destroy the moral law but all that does not help a human being

please elaborate on this statement.

You said being good will get us to heaven.

I didn't say that directly.

So really only the righteous will be saved. Those who have strived and I guess I agree.

so if you agree, than what are we still arguing about??

I am convinced I should go to church and hope to benefit but I am weak

I am sorry, but i just don't get it.....
  • you seem to have many questions.
    so it is best to go to church and hear the reading of the Bible and the preaching as this can answer your questions.
    you need to be patient though. maybe the questions you have this week will be answered next week, so you have to attend often.
    may God bless u.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12899.msg151692#msg151692 date=1328982944]
    you need to be patient though. maybe the questions you have this week will be answered next week, so you have to attend often.

you are just too smart for us here on the forum....and I am not being sarcastic.
  • User, we are all weak. The church is a hospital and we all go to be treated for our weaknesses and through it we become stronger.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12899.msg151686#msg151686 date=1328980974]

even after death, our spirits may sin.

Mina, I am not challenging you by any mean, but may you please clarify?
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12899.msg151702#msg151702 date=1328986948]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12899.msg151686#msg151686 date=1328980974]

i was talking concerning the story i posted about Abba Makarious.....he was still being tempted by the devil on his way to heaven.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12899.msg151703#msg151703 date=1328987585]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12899.msg151702#msg151702 date=1328986948]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12899.msg151686#msg151686 date=1328980974]

i was talking concerning the story i posted about Abba Makarious.....he was still being tempted by the devil on his way to heaven.

I know. I have always took this story as moral lesson for us to not trust in ourselves, but never literally though. So Abba Makarious could have lost his place in heaven even after he died?
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12899.msg151705#msg151705 date=1328988745]
    I know. I have always took this story as moral lesson for us to not trust in ourselves, but never literally though. So Abba Makarious could have lost his place in heaven even after he died?

what does the 'moral lesson' says that answers your question?

I am not saying take it literally....just consider the difficulty of our life on earth and our struggle to get eternal happiness. nothing on earth is 'easy'.....even those who will 'come to God' on their deathbeds, only if they have true repentance will they gain salvation....but what ends up happening is many of those end up having regret rather than repentance....which God alone can differentiate (not us).
  • I plan on going to church much more often but I know it may not happen
  • This Gospel comes to mind when I thought about your problem user157.

From Luke Chapter 8 verses 4 to 18. To me it says something about someones position in life especially how close he is to God. The last verse to me sums it up and it is about listening. To me what you are doing user157 is listening to more of the things of this world. What strength can you get when it is full of sin and lies? It's being that way since satan. Your not willing to hear Jesus's words to strengthen yourself?
      Your not willing to do what is right because those around you seem weak as well? It's a cop-out. An excuse for whatever addiction or thing you feel compelled to do in this world, for this world.

My prayers are for our Lords Mercy.
  • my dad says not to talk about religion all the time or people will get tired
    That is in real life
    He says to know about cars people like and to know the streets when I am driving
  • [quote author=user157 link=topic=12899.msg151745#msg151745 date=1329028024]
    my dad says not to talk about religion all the time or people will get tired
    That is in real life
    He says to know about cars and to know the streets when I am driving

I think your home environment may be affecting your spiritual life. This is very bad advice, all due respect to your father of course, but this isn't right thinking. YOU WANT a wife that will help you in your spiritual life. If she doesn't like what you talk about (church, religious things) then she isn't right for you. The worst thing to do when looking for another spouse is to act like a different person. The person you marry will like you the way you are and it will make it easier for you in the future unless you like to have multiple personalities for long periods of time.

Secondly, I am getting the feeling that you are feeling over righteous. Especially from your previous threads i get this vibe from you that you are feeling bad for being "over righteous". I just want you to know from the beginning that this is the work of the devil. As long as you are going to church to praise your Creator then all is fine, but when you go to church to show off your alhan skills and knowledge and find yourself going to church for the people then you should worry. Other than that you aren't over righteous. We all go to church to build our spiritual lives, this is our goal when we go to church. The goal is to walk out with a new lesson that you didn't have when you walked in.
  • I don't think my original post was written very well because I am supposed to show why I should be understood and excused. Do you really like the idea that all those people that do not go to church every week are headed to eternal damnation? when the main thing for a person is his relationship with God and keeping the commandments. Those who go to church have no right to judge those who do not and those who do not go to church also have no right to judge those that do. Only those who willfully refuse what is good for them ought to be judged, even them which refuse church. He who observes the day not to the LORD in order that he may use the time to his discretion is accepted by Jesus Christ for the sabbath was made for man and not man for the sabbath.

• [quote author=user157 link=topic=12899.msg151747#msg151747 date=1329033595]
    Do you really like the idea that all those people that do not go to church every week are headed to eternal damnation? when the main thing for a person is his relationship with God and keeping the commandments.
    i like the idea and truly believe that I AM NOT THE JUDGE OF who's going to heaven or hell.....we can only comment and judge on what we see.....because let's face it you are asking us to judge. anytime you are asking someone for their opinion on ANYTHING, that is judgement of some sort.

you are playing a dangerous game; taking verses out of context to just give yourself a reason to do what you want.... whether to go to church or not....or any other matter that has to do with THE CHURCH.

Those who go to church have no right to judge those who do not and those who do not go to church also have no right to judge those that do. Only those who willfully refuse what is good for them ought to be judged, even them which refuse church.

if I have understood this correctly, you are playing with words and just contradicted yourself. forget the judging part because I am tired of people misunderstanding the concept of 'judging'....I am not discussing that here. so you are forgetting something, THOSE WHO DO go to church or even those who DON'T, it's all based on their choice. they took judgment upon themselves to make the choice that fits their wants. therefore the latter sentence you wrote just contradicts the former two.

He who observes the day not to the LORD in order that he may use the time to his discretion is accepted by Jesus Christ for the sabbath was made for man and not man for the sabbath.

do you just copy and paste these things from some kind of a protestant site?! really......because i don't think you understand everything that you are posting here.
    Yes, the Sabbath was made for man for him to be united with God in a way (since in the old testament they were separate). Jesus Christ did not destroy the Sabbath but He set its new standard where He choose to do a good deed, PART OF GOD's commandments. doing that deed, in a way, is part of the Sabbath inw hich we become close to God.

Peter, you said you are 27.....may I ask what country are you from...better would be what church do you go to.
  • I am not Peter
    The pope says we can not blame the priests for not showing us the way at st Anthony found the way himself and the world is full of books

Yesif u see there are good deeds to do on a Sunday at church by all means go
  • i will try to go to church more often. for some reason it does not happen but i must change that
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12899.msg151748#msg151748 date=1329034739]
    Peter, you said you are 27.....may I ask what country are you from...better would be what church do you go to.
    lol :)
  • [quote author=peter_saad link=topic=12899.msg151774#msg151774 date=1329084757]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12899.msg151748#msg151748 date=1329034739]
    lol :)

okkkk....maybe this is an effect of writing the post around 3 am after a long day of work.
  • Do you go to hell for missing a week of church? no. People go to hell for not repenting of their sins and becoming closer to God. The Sacraments are what enable us to do this. As for it not being the Priest's responsibility regarding our salvation, at the end of the day its not. However the Priests do have a responsibility to teach us the way and truth, which they do. What we do then is up to us.
  • [quote author=lankyknight1990 link=topic=12899.msg151793#msg151793 date=1329101202]
    Do ............ What we do then is up to us.

EXACTLY!!!! what we do is up to us....it's our choices that we will be judged/condemned on.
  • Please tell me what sin you accuse me of, on this topic of fasting. We are always sinners you say. Okay perhaps you are right. I will go to church to find out what my sins I have done and if I find no sin I will not fast when I do not need to. Thankyou. Some people think by their fasting they can convert a soul to God, one who otherwise who would never have converted to God. So you think God does favors for some people, just because they fast and pray for them?  therefore anyone not fasting definitely should not be allowed to take communion.
    Do you think God wants us to burden ourselves with other peoples souls?
    you have not addressed the concept that I am allergic to fish so I am disadvantaged. For my sake please stop eating fish on fasting days!!!
    the sad thing is I think you will say you must fast so you can find out what your sins are!
    what a concept indeed and silly too,sorry

so if I user157 do not care about anyone then God does not care or want that soul even though that soul could change and God changed him by your prayers

• Besides my dad thinks my situation is different to others because I am allergic to fish and my foc said I was too skinny but he fasts all the church fasts

I guess I may fast the church fasts if my health is not getting bad