Will we ever see God?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi guys, I hope everyone had a blessed Nativity and a new year and I wanted to bring up a new topic to discuss!

First I will post some quotes from the Bible and the Fathers to bring us to the understanding of "Will we ever see God"

1.  John 1:18
No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like.

2. 1 Timothy 6:16
Only God lives forever! And he lives in light that no one can come near. No human has ever seen God or ever can see him. God will be honored, and his power will last forever. Amen.

3. 1 John 4:12
No one has ever seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us, and his love is truly in our hearts.

{ So from my understanding according to the Bible No one can ever see God - Not any Man, but we saw God through the Son who was Incarnated but never seen Him in His true Nature, but when we Love God lives in us.}

Lets move on to the Fathers.

Saint John Chrysostom says:

When you hear the seraphim are flying around the throne, in its highest and dignity covering their faces with two wings, hiding their legs with two, and shouting with a trembling voice, do not think that they have feathers, legs and wings for they are invisible powers... Even for those orders, God is truly beyond reach. They cannot approach Him. Therefore, He condescends in the way mentioned in revelation, for God is not limited to a place and does not sit on a throne. Yet his sitting in the throne and being surrounded by the heavenly powers is out of love for them...

-- So One we Have never seen God in His full Glory! We have seen Him incarnated and appeared to us in forms such as Angels with Abraham, Jacob and in the burning bush to Moses... Now St. John Cry. says "Even for those orders, God is truly beyond reach"  Does that mean that they don't see God?  Or does God only reveal Himself through the Holy Spirit to Angels, and through the Incarnate Son to us?

Does that mean also if Angels dont see God.. we will also not see God?? Because Christ said we would be like Angels in Heaven glorifying God..  (Mark 12:25, Matthew 22:30, Luke 20:36)

Does that mean that the Angels only feel God's presence through Love but not actually see Him?? if so How do they recieve their orders from Him?? Do they see God as Adam and Eve saw God through His presence and voice only?

I would like to further discuss this, please bring quotes from the Fathers and the Bible for Proof!

Comments

• yes. after death, if we remain in the Christian faith.
    1 corinthians 13:12.
    there is much more to say, but i'll leave it for others.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12808.msg150471#msg150471 date=1326642250]
    yes. after death, if we remain in the Christian faith.
    1 corinthians 13:12.
    there is much more to say, but i'll leave it for others.

the Quote talks about seeing Christ right?

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

it is not talking about seeing God in His true form or full glory.