Video

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
A few people from my church (youth) have posted this video.

I am disgusted that people accept this. This is a product of the foolish protestant tradition that is entering our church. Our youth cannot tell how stupid this person is! This is crazy. He bashes the church, and preaches (covertly) Sola Gracia. This is pitiful, and I am extremely saddend by how our youth are so foolish as to see this as OK. What is even worse is that they see the Orthodox Church as being opposite to the message of Christ and it is a man made invention.

I can stand Protestantism being taught in church. Satanic Heresy!

ReturnOrthodoxy

Comments

• A poor attempt of aligning with being a rapper and other things.
    A wannabe.
    Some issues.

How is that for a poem?
  • A few of my friends have posted this as well. Any suggestions on how to politely comment on their wall post?
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=12798.msg150304#msg150304 date=1326336617]
    A few of my friends have posted this as well. Any suggestions on how to politely comment on their wall post?

Wait anyone up for making a video like this, in favor of the Orthodox view??

We can write an awesome poem and film it, like a collab video!
  • My friends and I have already written massive responses. A few of us are almost done writing essays about what the problem with this is (mine to be finished tonight) and we are talking t our parish priests about things that need to be done.

My essay deals with the problem of Protestantism creeping into our church, and the effect it has. Let me add a sneak preview to get some of the ideas of my Tasbeha.org brothers and sisters, (AND FATHER PETER!)

The church has
    A. Minimized in its teaching of comparative theology.
    i. Causing lack of understanding of self-identity
    ii. Causing lack of understanding of what ideologies are acceptable and what are not
    B. Wielded Protestant methods to teach the youth Orthodox concepts
    i. Making the youth open to Protestant methods
    ii. And by comparison, the youth are un-interested in Orthodox methodology because the Protestant method is more interesting.
    Essentially what I am saying is this: The first indicator that the youth should have against standing up to Protestantism is the method they use. The youth should see this method and then be warned about the nature of the message, but because the church has wielded these methods, the youth are confused, and are no longer on guard for protestant message. In the form of an analogy, instead of the wolf coming in sheep’s clothing, the sheep have worn wolf’s clothing. The poor and helpless youth now cannot tell the wolf from the sheep. The second indicator that they youth should have against Protestantism is a knowledge of theology. And since the youth evidently do not have this, they are at a terrible loss, and they cannot by ANY means distinguish between the wolf and the lamb.

As for the video, one of my many responses goes as follows:

Concerning the recent viral video: This is a heresy. It is the protestant heresy of "the Five Solas" with absolutely satanic implication. You may have missed them, but to anyone who understands comparative theology, this video is equal to saying Jesus is not God. To say Jesus is against the church is a gross misinterpretation of scripture, or rather (as I see it), it is a Satanic attempt at dodging the difficult components of religion in order to permit and feel good about one's hedonistic lifestyle. This fool decides not do do what the church commands (such as the sacrements and the motions) because he would rather sit around and say that Jesus is good, and I'm following his command. Wasn't it Christ who said, "Salvation is of the Jews!" Does that not show that Jesus supported only one kind of religion? Where does the Old testament call Religious people Whores as this fool generalized?! The Bible says, "Israel has gone a-whoring."(Hosea 5:3) The reason God said this is THE EXACT OPPOSIT REASON that this fool quoted it. God said it because they started following other religions. So this man has taken the verses grossly out of context. Just because is sounds nice in a rhyme, doesn't mean it has any truth. if you have a problem with one church, that is fine, but do not say that "Jesus and Religion are two separate clans." In fact, Jesus fully established the church by telling his disciples, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." (Matthew 28:19) This guy is mistaken and has lied to all of us! Jesus never said, "It's all good Bro! Just love me, then sit around and be good. No need for that body I came to give you by dying, that stuff is not needed. I hate religion too!" (Random Guy, 1:1)

"Awake, O Lord! Why do you sleep? Rouse yourself! Do not reject us forever." (Psalm 44:23)

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • Ok, I look forward to reading your essay. But please don't use "Satanic" or "heretical". Just offer good evidence from Biblical scripture and writings of the church fathers and let us evaluate the arguments and come to the conclusions ourselves.
  • Well, Heresy is Satanic, but I agree with you, and I will try to calm down.
  • I think people are interpreting it differently. I was talking with some friends today and someone interpreted it as the church is corrupt and we aren't following Jesus, we are just marked as Christians (kind of like what Ghandi said about how he likes Christ but not the Christians). Someone else interpreted it as you don't need religion, you only need a strong relationship with Christ and  that is it (Protestant beliefs). Others liked it because of the rhyme which is stupid.

He contradicts himself quite a few times. The thing that got to me the most was when he was comparing Christ's words on the cross to the end of religion. Yet, he did have nice analogies that sparked many to contemplate their identity as Christians, including myself.
  • This is horrible! The first thing he said is a complete contradiction with what Jesus himself thaught us. Jesus, himself started the church:"And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I (Let me emphasize that I is refering to Jesus when he himself said this verse) will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Matthew 16:18. If you didnot notice heresies like this are the gates of hell that Jesus is refering to here. Not only did Jesus assure us that he is going to build the church but also going to be with it forever "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18. To say Jesus is against the church is a horrible misinterpretation of scripture. Another point that showes that he is a fool is when he said that religious people whores as this fool generalized?! The Bible says, "Israel has gone a-whoring."(Hosea 5:3) The reason God said this is THE EXACT OPPOSITE REASON that this fool quoted it. God said it because the were worshiping idols. So this man has taken the verses COMPLETELY out of context. This guy is mistaken! Yes, people are corrupt; yes, people call themselves christians and they donot even know christ; yes, Jesus didnot come so we can vote for Republicans (but guess what the republican party didnot exist when Jesus lived... Moving on) but the over all message contradict Jesus's teachings...
    And what make this video even worse is that he says he loves the church and he loves the bible yet contradict their teaching. What a hypocrate!

Here is a reply that I send to one of my COPTIC ORTHDOX friend who posted this video. Please tell me if I am made any mistakes so I would be aware of it next time around.

P.S I hope RO doesnot mind me using a part of his post in my reply.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12798.msg150331#msg150331 date=1326404597]

This is horrible! The first thing he said is a complete contradiction with what Jesus himself thaught us. Jesus, himself started the church:"And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I (Let me emphasize that I is refering to Jesus when he himself said this verse) will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Matthew 16:18. If you didnot notice heresies like this are the gates of hell that Jesus is refering to here. Not only did Jesus assure us that he is going to build the church but also going to be with it forever "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18. To say Jesus is against the church is a horrible misinterpretation of scripture. Another point that showes that he is a fool is when he said that religious people whores as this fool generalized?! The Bible says, "Israel has gone a-whoring."(Hosea 5:3) The reason God said this is THE EXACT OPPOSITE REASON that this fool quoted it. God said it because the were worshiping idols. So this man has taken the verses COMPLETELY out of context. This guy is mistaken! Yes, people are corrupt; yes, people call themselves christians and they donot even know christ; yes, Jesus didnot come so we can vote for Republicans (but guess what the republican party didnot exist when Jesus lived... Moving on) but the over all message contradict Jesus's teachings...
    And what make this video even worse is that he says he loves the church and he loves the bible yet contradict their teaching. What a hypocrate!

Here is a reply that I send to one of my COPTIC ORTHDOX friend who posted this video. Please tell me if I am made any mistakes so I would be aware of it next time around.

I think a mistake you made was being negative right off the bat. You want to start with positives and see the good in the video and then move on to why it is not appropriate for an Orthodox Christian to post on their FB.

This is what Christ did when speaking with people - He found the good in them and went on to correct the bad.

• [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12798.msg150333#msg150333 date=1326407483]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12798.msg150331#msg150331 date=1326404597]

This is horrible! The first thing he said is a complete contradiction with what Jesus himself thaught us. Jesus, himself started the church:"And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I (Let me emphasize that I is refering to Jesus when he himself said this verse) will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Matthew 16:18. If you didnot notice heresies like this are the gates of hell that Jesus is refering to here. Not only did Jesus assure us that he is going to build the church but also going to be with it forever "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18. To say Jesus is against the church is a horrible misinterpretation of scripture. Another point that showes that he is a fool is when he said that religious people whores as this fool generalized?! The Bible says, "Israel has gone a-whoring."(Hosea 5:3) The reason God said this is THE EXACT OPPOSITE REASON that this fool quoted it. God said it because the were worshiping idols. So this man has taken the verses COMPLETELY out of context. This guy is mistaken! Yes, people are corrupt; yes, people call themselves christians and they donot even know christ; yes, Jesus didnot come so we can vote for Republicans (but guess what the republican party didnot exist when Jesus lived... Moving on) but the over all message contradict Jesus's teachings...

I think a mistake you made was being negative right off the bat. You want to start with positives and see the good in the video and then move on to why it is not appropriate for an Orthodox Christian to post on their FB.

This is what Christ did when speaking with people - He found the good in them and went on to correct the bad.

Thanks for the advice. I will make sure I do this next time but I guess I was blinded by my anger. It was so, I donot even know how to describe it. Coming from that friend just made it even worse.
  • Here is a great response which I found.

When I get the time I will try to work out an explanation of this video in light of some realizations that have been brought to my attention.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • I just saw something else in this video that I thought I should bring to you guys' views if you didnot notice. This video has an ad at the beginning; this whole thing was made for money. He know that many people would watch it. I think that alone would make a good argument againist the video if you supported it with verses from the bible reveling the flaws in the video...
  • "It's become far too fashionable to criticize religion these days. Many people want to claim Jesus for themselves and interpret Him according to their own individualistic needs, desires, and interests. They conveniently (and erroneously) condemn the very Church that Christ instituted so that we would be able to correctly interpret and understand His word, His message, and His will. It seems like these anti-religion Christians are the new Pharisees, self-righteously judging and condemning the traditions and practices of the Church simply because those within the Church fail to be perfect in their Christian practice.” +GMK+
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12798.msg150336#msg150336 date=1326408807]
    I just saw something else in this video that I thought I should bring to you guys' views if you didnot notice. This video has an ad at the beginning; this whole thing was made for money. He know that many people would watch it. I think that alone would make a good argument againist the video if you supported it with verses from the bible reveling the flaws in the video...

Yeah, he is also advertising for that watch company at the bottom. And you know it all might be a conspiracy by the democratic party of america haha.

[quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=12798.msg150335#msg150335 date=1326408743]
    Here is a great response which I found.

When I get the time I will try to work out an explanation of this video in light of some realizations that have been brought to my attention.

ReturnOrthodoxy

Great article! And thanks for the responses. Have any of you posted this on your facebook walls? Did you get any negative responses from Protestant friends? I would like to post this but I fear it will only antagonize my relationship with all the Protestants I have met and won't achieve anything.
  • I had a long argument with one of my protestant friends but you may say I won... He had no bases for his argument whatsoever and the article helped alot too
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=12798.msg150348#msg150348 date=1326424266]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12798.msg150336#msg150336 date=1326408807]
    I just saw something else in this video that I thought I should bring to you guys' views if you didnot notice. This video has an ad at the beginning; this whole thing was made for money. He know that many people would watch it. I think that alone would make a good argument againist the video if you supported it with verses from the bible reveling the flaws in the video...

Yeah, he is also advertising for that watch company at the bottom. And you know it all might be a conspiracy by the democratic party of america haha.

[quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=12798.msg150335#msg150335 date=1326408743]

ReturnOrthodoxy

Great article! And thanks for the responses. Have any of you posted this on your facebook walls? Did you get any negative responses from Protestant friends? I would like to post this but I fear it will only antagonize my relationship with all the Protestants I have met and won't achieve anything.
    [quote author=servant33 link=topic=12798.msg150348#msg150348 date=1326424266]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12798.msg150336#msg150336 date=1326408807]

ReturnOrthodoxy

Yes, We have posted it. Many of us have, and we have almost convinced everyone whom we saw had repost it. I recommend that you post it. Open up a discussion.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • Alright posted. Lord have mercy  :P
  • And remember if you ever get stuck in a middle of an argument you always have your secret weapon: tasbeha.org members lol
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12798.msg150362#msg150362 date=1326428859]
    And remember if you ever get stuck in a middle of an argument you always have your secret weapon: tasbeha.org members lol

Thanks. I hope this is the right thing to do. The video was bothering me a lot, and I have 9 friends who shared it.

1 like so far (from a Copt). Hehe anyone want to friend me on facebook and like the post  ;)

• This guy thinks he is cool and thinks he is making a good point, but fails on all levels.
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=12798.msg150364#msg150364 date=1326429346]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12798.msg150362#msg150362 date=1326428859]
    And remember if you ever get stuck in a middle of an argument you always have your secret weapon: tasbeha.org members lol

Thanks. I hope this is the right thing to do. The video was bothering me a lot, and I have 9 friends who shared it.

1 like so far (from a Copt). Hehe anyone want to friend me on facebook and like the post  ;)

Sigh I can't do this. I have to remove the post. I'm part of the Campus Crusade in my college and this year I'm serving in it and leading a Bible Study in the dorm with mainly all Protestants. There are better ways to help share the Orthodox view than attacking this video. I can't do it. Lord have Mercy  :-[
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=12798.msg150369#msg150369 date=1326431080]
    [quote author=servant33 link=topic=12798.msg150364#msg150364 date=1326429346]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12798.msg150362#msg150362 date=1326428859]

Sigh I can't do this. I have to remove the post. I'm part of the Campus Crusade in my college and this year I'm serving in it and leading a Bible Study in the dorm with mainly all Protestants. There are better ways to help share the Orthodox view than attacking this video. I can't do it. Lord have Mercy  :-[

Wait actually another girl I know just shared the link too!
    Dude I am so messed up and so waivering. Someone please pray for me  :-[
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=12798.msg150370#msg150370 date=1326431204]
    [quote author=servant33 link=topic=12798.msg150369#msg150369 date=1326431080]
    [quote author=servant33 link=topic=12798.msg150364#msg150364 date=1326429346]

Wait actually another girl I know just shared the link too!
    Dude I am so messed up and so waivering. Someone please pray for me  :-[

What do you mean?
  • How are you part of Campus Crusade? That's a Protestant movement.
  • quite frankly i like the video, i don't hate the church nor do i even have an ounce of dislike for it but i do see what he means toward the idea of religion, i think maybe the message was missed or maybe i am the one who missed the message, most of the time people just like the idea of religion cause they get to be a part of something and stand up and be a believer of something and yet have no clue of what they say they are convicted of, saying i'm a christian and yet not living by it is the same as someone who drives a prius but litters, furthermore i do believe Christ didn't come to start a religion He came to establish a Church and give us His grace, no one is perfect or without sin, what is faith without works but are works without faith? just because i was baptized and take communion every Sunday doesn't mean anything if i don't live by the Word, i LOVE the Church and NEED the Church and loved that God has blessed me to be part of a CHURCH, not religion, that administers the Sacraments but there is a difference between the CHURCH and the PEOPLE of the church, Protestantism is not infesting our Church the doctrine remains the same but it is infesting those who believe the Church is a religion rather than a lifestyle and devotion.
    God bless and may we walk His path :)
  • [quote=Fr. Moses Samaan, Presbyter at St. Demiana's COC in San Diego, CA]I am very surprised to see Coptic Orthodox Christians sharing this link throughout Facebook. While the video may be artistic with a clear message, it represents the heresy of Christ without His Church. As such, we should stop sharing and encouraging it.

Any attempt to divide Christ from His Church is heresy. Christ is the Head of the Church and She is His Body. The Body of Christ is normally connected with the divine Eucharist, because it is in the Eucharist that the Body is revealed and realized. In the divine Eucharist we have the whole Christ, the Head, and the Body, the Church. It is the Lord Himself Who is manifested as He gives His one Body to all, so that in partaking of it they may all become one with Him and with one another. “For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread” (1 Cor 10:17 NKJV). As St. Athanasius explained, "For we all, partaking of the same, become one Body, having the one Lord in ourselves." Those who divide Christ from the Church do so at the expense of the Eucharist, which they deny. How can they preach Jesus while ignoring the fact that He Himself instituted the Mystery of the Eucharist? It is heresy.

Moreover, this person speaks of our Lord Jesus Christ as though He never established the Church, which is inconsistent with the Holy Scriptures and passages such as the Great Commission in which He sent out the Apostles and said to them, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age” (Matt 28:18–20 NKJV).

Brethren, it is easy for us to be moved by artistic videos with clear messages that seem to be in favor of Jesus, but we have to be careful to safeguard our minds and hold fast to the Holy Orthodox faith, which the Apostles handed down and the Fathers preserved. In our Creed, we proclaim, "We believe...in One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church." If this is our faith, then what is in this video cannot be our faith, because the two are opposites. Let us be careful.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12798.msg150408#msg150408 date=1326497520]
    There is a nice article I read responding to this video:
    http://roadsfromemmaus.org/2012/01/12/why-i-love-true-religion-because-i-love-jesus/

Hey Mina, I posted the article above. But I would also like add that the author (Fr. Andrew Damick) is an author of another great book Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy. I have ordered my copy on amazon, and can't wait to read it. You can listen to the podcast

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • [quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=12798.msg150409#msg150409 date=1326499183]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12798.msg150408#msg150408 date=1326497520]
    There is a nice article I read responding to this video:
    http://roadsfromemmaus.org/2012/01/12/why-i-love-true-religion-because-i-love-jesus/

Hey Mina, I posted the article above. But I would also like add that the author (Fr. Andrew Damick) is an author of another great book Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy. I have ordered my copy on amazon, and can't wait to read it. You can listen to the podcast

ReturnOrthodoxy

sorry didn't see your post. I actually just watching the video yesterday even though it was on my wall on facebook for a while. i only like the article because he keeps it brief and concentrates on every line of the lyrics. there are other articles out there that go more in depth. It's like what abouna told me today, if we can tackle the guy's biblicaly, than we don't have to bother with anything else he says. 
  • If you are using my video to bash "the church" be careful. I was in no way intending to do that. My heart came from trying to highlight and expose legalism and hypocrisy. The Church is Jesus' bride so be careful how you speak of His wife. If a normal dude has right to get pissed when you bash His wife, it makes me tremble to think how great the weight is when we do it to Jesus' wife. The church is His vehicle to reach a lost word. A hospital for sinners. Saying you love Jesus but hate the Church, is like a fiancé saying he loves his future bride, but hates her kids. We are all under grace. Look to Him.

This is his response to the Criticism. I think that this clears up a lot of what would have been considered heretic. Any thoughts?

ReturnOrthodoxy