is Numerology a sin? what about palm reading?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Thank you

Comments

• What do you think? :)
  • when I was in high school my mom bought palmistry book. I read it very much. I used to read horoscopes from news papers. I kept on reading numerology which my friend brought to our house. For about many years I read a lot of related stuffs and now my mind is stuffed with it.
    When I ask this Q I was not trying to joke. This is a serious matter which I and the others many are falling into.
    I want verses and real sermons on this topic and I need your advice how to pluck this filthy things out of my mind.
  • If you have repented then destroy everything to do with these errors which you own, and then confess to your spiritual father.
  • my beloved, it is weird because I was just having this conversation with a priest...

the devil is pretty tricky, and I know you know that... what the devil does through reading the palms, or reading the cup (fingan) and numerology, is he will tell the reader many things, anything from relationships to career to childhood, and so on, everything from the past... now the person trusts what is being said, or what he finds out.

the devil does not stop there... now the devil does not know the future, but knows the present... so lets say I send out a letter to you today, and you are to receive it on Tuesday... I never told you about it, but the devil will know something like that... so he will mention the present as the future just because he knows a little of what happened before you. so you receive that letter on Tuesday, you trust the reading/reader, and you think this person will know all future... 

the devil still does not stop there... the devil does not know the future, but now has your trust, just because he told you your past, present, and you limited future. now he will tell you what you should do, which will set you up for failure, but you will have full trust in that being correct, and pursue it.

by now you have sinned by, not trusting God, following the devil, seeking to know past future present, which is trying to be like God which is a blasphemy... the list can go on... see how a little thing is more than you actually make it to be?

I had a friend who dealt with black magic, when the great "bambooie" or bamboo or whatever he called himself, pressured her to pay him money, and threatened to cast God knows how many spells, I took the liberty to email him, and I remember I mentioned the angels and the saints... and through their help this person never contacted her ever again, after harassing her at least three to four times a week by phone and email.

so the best way to pluck these things out of your mind is seek the angels and the heavenly orders, who fight the devils, seek the saints, who through their lives trampled on the devil. whenever you think of something like this tell them, "fight the devil quickly, because I'm about to fall"... and keep calling on them, "saint Bishoy, yalla attack the devil quickly before I fall, oh Archangel Michael, the devil cant overcome you, help me fight this battle" and etc... by this you are not only beating the devil, but even growing a relationship with the saint, and keep doing this until you pass the battle.
  • Hey,

Now we are talking about magic I have got a question.

I know it is bad (like any magic), but despite that I am just interested in your opinion.

Is it true that activities with a voodo doll can influence someone psychical? Like hurting someone?
    I read this and it seems very weird: http://howtodovoodoo.com/real-magic-spells/

This woman is having pain by someone who controls a vodoo doll:

Now I would like to know, does magic like this really exist? And if it does, is it possible that magic like these  vodoo stuff, can influence Christians as well? Ya3ni, e.g. a copt is being the "protagonist" of the vodoo show, could he be hurt? Personally I think that if the Copt is close to God, it is impossible, because God is stronger and mightier than everything and God can exorcise satan.

But what do u think? The idea that with a weird voodoo doll a human can being hurt is kinda lunatic.

Forgive me again if I offended anyone.
  • the devil does lots of horrid stuff. remember the saints in the desert used to have a hard time from the demons so we could as well.
    the response is not to check to see who is trying to do magic on us and get them to stop, but to live a holy life, confess often (the 2 go together!) and flee from all evil and from all lies of the devil.
    submit to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you.

remember u are not resisting the devil if you are fondling your boyfriend, engaging in palm readings, saying wicked things about yr friends, denying your faith, getting drunk (oh how the devil loves to tempt drunk people, it's so easy!) and hitting your neighbour.

also u r not submitting to God if u are rebellious, full of rage, determined to get your own way no matter who is hurt, refusing to pray, neglecting Bible study and ignoring the liturgy.

so, pray often, study the Bible often, learn to know and love God through the teachings of the church and soon you will not only have no interest in the ways of evil, but you will not be at all afraid either.
    neither hight nor depth nor any power in heaven or under the earth can separate us from the love of God.
    so draw near to God and He will draw near to u.
    :)
  • now there are different kinds of magic...

there are illusionists, who are the known "magicians" the ones you would find in Vegas, who just have quick hands and do tricks with cards and what not... these are not considered workers of the devil, but just mere entertainer who do tricks, and play with your mind, they consider themselves as entertainers, and they are nothing more than that.

now there is another which is explained through psychology, and as you mentioned you are into the psych field, here is a video for your entertainment, now be careful because darren brown is one of the most known atheists because of his ways of disproving miracles. what a person like this does is he will speak to people, reading their body languages, understanding their train of thought, even to the extent of putting thoughts into their heads by mere hand gestures, or choice of words. through him and others who are like him we see the same exact video you put about voodoo on stage you posted, remade by random people, but are tricked into feeling these things... I wish I can find the videos but I've been searching them, but was unable to find them, the closest thing I found was called "invisible touch trick" but watch on your own discretion. but all these things we are taught to believe it, but in reality its our minds playing tricks on us.  some of them will use their ability to just take people's money, as you see in the link you posted, which is very sad, and wrong.

the last, and the worst is those who actually make spells, and involve satanic energy... they usually will leave it as "energy" nothing more. this is the bad one. now those who actually do that usually go back to black magic, and will be able to make a contract with the devil to help them with what they want, this contract many times will have quranic verses mixed with biblical verses, and through these contracts, the person littarly kicks God out of their lives, and pretty much God will not intervene due to Him being a Just God, the devil will overtake the person through possession and whatever the devil desires, and these are usually the people that priests have a hard time exercising.

believe it or not, these spells can hurt people... and since Copts are humans and are people, they CAN get hurt... but when you have the Body of Christ in you, how can you be overtaken by an evil spirit? when you befriend the one who gives them the permission to continue the action, do you think He will allow them to attack your spirit? as long as you are close to God have no fear.
  • Consulting the devil is a sin because one puts his trust in him instead of our loving God and a foolishness because the devil is the father of lies and is the killer of humans.

The verses explain that God's power protects us, so follow these advices:

Ephesians 6
    10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints

Like Father Peter replied: repent and burn anything that could be a link to the devil.

GBU
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=12714.msg149420#msg149420 date=1324542735]
    If you have repented then destroy everything to do with these errors which you own, and then confess to your spiritual father.
      I have already destroyed everything I had but it is not easy to destroy what you have in your mind. It is my advice for all that never even to read anything of such devilish works. It will ruin your whole life both in this world and the world to come.
  • edited July 2019
    It is not a sin for sure, you aren't doing anything bad, at least I think so, and that is not written anywhere that this is a sin. In case you think this is better read by yourself what is written here about numerology and lucky numbers like mine https://www.sunsigns.org/angel-number-222-meaning/ this is my lucky number, it is saying sor, if you know how to discover it.
  • It is a sin since someone is consulting the devil. Continuing such an act may lead to future possession.
    As soon as you can; repent, confess, and destroy the physical reminders. As for the mental reminders, engulf yourself in prayer and the reminders will be kicked out.
    If you feel tempted to go back, resist and flee to prayer. And remember what Saint Isidore said: “Just like the sun does not banish the darkness instantly, so does Christ banish our sins and passions slowly; until he finally fills up our being with light.”