New English language Orthodox mission in London

God willing, the English language Orthodox mission in central London will begin in 2012. This mission has the blessing of Metropolitan Seraphim of the British Orthodox diocese of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate.

It is planned that it will begin with a monthly celebration of the Liturgy in English on a Saturday morning, with a monthly mid-week meeting for prayer and study.

If the mission gathers enough support then the frequency of these meetings might increase in the will of God.

Those who are interested in receiving news about the development of this mission, and who might wish to attend, should email [email protected]

Comments

• This would be a great documentary to watch! Or better, I was recently talking with a monk, one of the organizers of the Coptic Youth Channel, and he was looking for new (English) ideas to broadcast. He has a camera crew and everything. What do you think? :)

I have his contact information, if anyone is interested.
  • most people who go to this kind of thing don't want to be filmed!
    but u will find further info here, and u can do a doumentary of u reading tasbeha.org and getting the information if u like...
    ;)
  • haha umm.... I don't think so!  ;D

Yeah, most people don't like to be filmed in general (including myself.. which is why I'm trying to get myself out of CYC Broadcasting by finding alternatives for this monk!), but I think this will really benefit the viewer and inspire more Copts to do missionary work. :)
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12657.msg148637#msg148637 date=1323274877]
    haha umm.... I don't think so!  ;D

Yeah, most people don't like to be filmed in general (including myself.. which is why I'm trying to get myself out of CYC Broadcasting by finding alternatives for this monk!), but I think this will really benefit the viewer and inspire more Copts to do missionary work. :)

YA! MOVIE!

Woohoo! Father Peter, Ioannes, and GodLovesMe all post back in Tasbeha in the same week! And its the first week of Kiahk! What a great week!
  • This week is missing a Shoutbox.
  • I have created a Facebook Group called Orthodox London..

http://www.facebook.com/groups/259654414094395/

and I am trying to gather a network of friends who will pray for this mission, and will encourage those who are in the London area to be involved.

Please share information about this group if you are on Facebook. I would like to quickly get up to 100 members in the group so that I can start gathering a core team of local supporters, but also a wider, and international team of prayer partners.

I hope to have firm news about a location shortly as I am presently discussing this with the minister of a church who has offered their facilities.

May God bless all those who support this ministry
  • You have my prayers, Father.
  • I have also created a Facebook page here...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Orthodox-London-mission/120962741353666

I am trying to gather 100 people who will commit to pray for this mission, and at least 10 local people who will commit to attending and helping to organise it.

I am close to having a location to celebrate the monthly liturgy and hold a monthly mid-week fellowship meeting for prayer and study.

Are their 100 people around the world who will pray for this ministry? Are there 10 people in London who will practically support it?
  • can i pray without having a facebook page?
    i don't have time to sift through all the status updates of my 'friends' ('joanne gained 50 points on red farm', 'boutros is wishing it would rain', 'aisha is washing her hair' etc. etc.) looking for the tiny bits of facebook that actually are interesting!

if not, i'll be your 101st prayer person.
    :)
  • Of course you can pray without facebook. Lol! I am creating a website as well.

But you can join facebook and only have serious people as friends. I don't play any games or respond to any requests to play games, and I don't post irrelevant notices about what I am eating or watching. If you just made friends with me you'd only get serious messages!
  • I'm also off Facebook, but I'll certainly pray for this service :)
  • while it would be lovely to have you as my only facebook 'friend', father peter, i really don't have the time to sift through all the 'friend' requests from random people i've worked with (moving house most years and working in large organisations means this is a lot of people!), also i don't want to hurt people's feelings by not wanting to be their 'friend'.
    also 'friends' posted some rude stuff on my wall when i was on facebook, and i was a bit embarassed as it took me a while to notice...
    :o
  • I will be meeting the minister of the Anglican church I hope to use for this mission on Wednesday.

Do please pray for me, and for this meeting, so that God's will becomes clearly known and it becomes possible to move forward with firm plans.
  • The diocesan Synod of the British Orthodox Church in the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate met on Saturday under the presidency of His Eminence Metropolitan Seraphim. The Synod discussed the proposal to establish and English language Orthodox Mission in London and gave formal approval to the project.

I have now formally requested the use of the Anglican church which I have already described and if that is positive then we will organise a mid-week evening meeting as soon as possible for prayer and a description and discussion of this mission to which anyone and everyone who would like to support and contribute to this mission is invited and welcome.

Two or three Saturdays after this prayer and planning meeting we will celebrate the first English language Orthodox liturgy of the Orthodox London mission.
  • praying and watching this space!
    :)
  • Dear friends,

Thank you for your continuing support of our prayerful plans to develop an English language Orthodox mission in London. We have now been able to fix a firm date and location for a preliminary meeting to share in Orthodox prayer, hear descriptions of our plans and vision for this ministry as God wills, and to discuss with other interested supporters how best to help this mission move forward.

The meeting will be held at St George in the East, Anglican Church, Shadwell, London, E1 0BH

http://www.stgite.org.uk/

There is some parking at the Church, and it is only a 4 minute walk from Shadwell DLR station.

The meeting will begin at 7:30 pm on Monday 20th February. Our bishop, Metropolitan Seraphim will preside at our prayers and lead the meeting. If you are able to confirm your attendance it would be helpful.

The provisional date for the first Saturday Liturgy is 3rd March. We would expect to begin at 10:00 am.

Do please continue to pray for this ministry, that it might develop as God wills.