Heavenly Doxology- Trinity

2»

Comments

• + Irini nem ehmot,

[quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=12160.msg144978#msg144978 date=1316630014]
    Just like the word "hierarchy" can imply a sense of superiority, so do the words "First, second and third." As I said in my initial post, the doxology specifically says "Michael is the first", not "Michael is one of them (archangels)". The simple use of "first, second and third," means Michael is different than Gabriel and different than Raphael in some sort of fashion that allows us to mention Michael first. If it is not a difference in nature, and it's not a difference in superiority, then why go out of the way to say "first, second and third" rather than "one of them"?

If we look at your analogy of the CEO, CFO and COO, I think of 'first, second and third' as follows:
    Presenter: Welcome ladies and gentlemen. Today we would like to welcome three guests who will give us a better look at what their company has to offer. First is the CEO, second is the CFO and third is the COO.

In this type of scenario, the use of first, second and third is just for ordering purposes. That's how I read it in the hymn as well. But that's just me.

[quote author=Biboboy link=topic=12160.msg144993#msg144993 date=1316639514]
    Agape,

Interesting discussion and it's difficult to answer it. However, perhaps I may add that there are two additional traditions that, perhaps through further research, could shed more light on this doxology's words.

First, there is Pseudo-Dionysius' Celestial Hierarchy, where he talks about the hierarchy of the heavenly beings, where there are 3 choirs with 3 kind of beings each, all together "imaging" the God the Trinity, as they are "images of God": the first choir consists of the thrones, cherubim, and seraphim; the second choir consists of the authorities, dominations, and powers; and the third choir consists of the angels, archangels, and principalities.

Second, there's the Russian iconography of the "Council of Archangels," which is an icon of the Archangels Michael, Gabriel, and (perhaps) Raphael. According to the theologian Bulgakov, there is a trinitarian structure of the Archangels since they each serve one of the Persons of the Trinity. So, he explains that Michael represents the truth, so he is in service of God the Word; Gabriel represents beauty and serves the Holy Spirit, proven in creation of life and the Incarnation; and Raphael represents the good, and serves God the Father who is good. This can be found in Bulgakov's work titled Jacob's Ladder.

Thanks for the information. Is this the icon you were referring to:
    If so, then yeah, I think it is Michael (M), Gabriel (Γ) and Raphael (Ρ).
  • Does anyone know the names of the remaining four archangels and their role in serving God?