Rules for Kai

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
What are the rules for pronouncing the coptic Letter Kai (the one that looks like an X, I don't know how to use coptic here)? Can I only have the current, widely used pronunciations, not what you think is the right way (OB v GB) etc. I also don't want to erupt a coptic fight on this thread. Thanks

Comments

• [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12614.msg148088#msg148088 date=1322533720]
    What are the rules for pronouncing the coptic Letter Kai (the one that looks like an X, I don't know how to use coptic here)? Can I only have the current, widely used pronunciations, not what you think is the right way (OB v GB) etc. I also don't want to erupt a coptic fight on this thread. Thanks

The rules you are seeking will depend on who you ask and their preference. As an example, the word eu,y is pronounced evshi, or evki.

In any language, it is the word that determines the sound of the letter and that is why we end up with different sounds for the same letter. So, the best way to know what a letter may sound is to study the language not made up rules.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12614.msg148090#msg148090 date=1322536654]
    [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12614.msg148088#msg148088 date=1322533720]

The rules you are seeking will depend on who you ask and their preference. As an example, the word eu,y is pronounced evshi, or evki.

In any language, it is the word that determines the sound of the letter and that is why we end up with different sounds for the same letter. So, the best way to know what a letter may sound is to study the language not made up rules.

So if I were to teach kids Coptic letter by letter, what am I supposed to tell them for this letter. Every other letter is pretty clear.
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12614.msg148105#msg148105 date=1322596718]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12614.msg148090#msg148090 date=1322536654]
    [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12614.msg148088#msg148088 date=1322533720]

So if I were to teach kids Coptic letter by letter, what am I supposed to tell them for this letter. Every other letter is pretty clear.

Well, there are four sounds to the letter and it depends on the word which will determine the sound.

Hope this helps