Islam: ideology or religion?

Hi all,

Not sure if there already has been a tread about this..
But I would like to know, is the islam an ideology or a religion?
Could u also explain why do u think that?
Some people they say it's an ideology, but I am not sure it's a religion or not.

Thank u in advance.

Gb

Comments

• Seems to me it's both. In fact, Muslims have bragged about that to me, apparently in the assumption that Christianity is somehow deficient because we stand by the principle that we are to render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and unto God that which is God's. They say that Islam is better or more "complete" because it is a full system of religious AND earthly law, all wrapped into one religion. It's hard to argue with that characterization (i.e., that Islam has both of those elements), but how that makes it better or more complete I don't know...then again, a lot about Islam doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me. I respond to those Muslims that it's not hard to see why Islam conflates the spiritual law and the earthly law since Allah in Islam often behaves an awful lot like Caesar...!  ;D
  • yup Islam is a religion with its ideologies

[These definitions is captured from Wikipedia] 
    Religion is a cultural system that creates powerful and long-lasting meaning, by establishing symbols that relate humanity to truths and values.
    An ideology is a set of ideas that constitutes one's goals, expectations, and actions.

There is many religions in the world,but is is ONLY One leads to God. That's gives the man the Salvation.
    and i would like to say that Christianity is a LIFE we can not say it is only The Religion.
    GBU 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Islam asks:
    to kill non-Muslims
    to rule over others via the state
    to levy taxes (Jizya).

Yes it's a political ideology, and an aggressive one.
  • Islam has a book, charismatic preachers, shared beliefs and a sense of Dogma, it is a religion.

It has political ideologies attached, such as a faith based state system, but does not require someone to  live in a Muslim state to follow the religion. It even tells them to follow the laws of that country (though many forget this and try to turn the country muslim.)

But it is definitely a religion at the heart of it
  • Well, from my view and experience Islam seems to be the perfect religion to capture people and nations.  look at some of its aspects

- "it is not a religion, it is a way of life"
    - scheduled prayers
    - Laws
    - Governments
    - disdain for the non muslims
    - a call for a eradication of non muslims
    - Fatwa for leaving or not accepting islam
    - a vision of a completely islamic dominated world
    - big families = growing influence

All these elements make it so easy for people to be trapped in Islam, and even nations that then in effect implement it on the people.

However, i would not suggest going around bashing people and their religion/culture but rather pray for them and lead by example etc etc. 
  • It cannot be a religion because what religion has kill all non-muslims or take out as many as you can of coptic orthodox.  It may catch the attention of people all over the world but that doesn't mean that it is a religion
  • according to the definition of a religion which is :
    re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
    Noun:
    The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

Islam is a religion...
    if what ur asking is is it legit...
    ...no comment cause if i started...
  • “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?"
    Matthew 5:43-46
    Whether Muslims follow an ideology or a religion, God commands us to love them. That's not suggests, that's commands. What should it matter then?

As a humorous post-script;
    “Love your enemy— it will scare the hell out of them.”
    –Mark Twain

AshSofEnnoub
  • Abouna Zakaria goes as far as saying that Islam is a cult. And its so true.
  • cult/kəlt/
    A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

Abouna Zakaria goes as far as saying that Islam is a cult. And its so true.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?"
    Matthew 5:43-46

Compare....
  • [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=10792.msg131315#msg131315 date=1298327445]
    Hi all,

Some people they say it's an ideology, but I am not sure it's a religion or not.

Thank u in advance.

Gb

Islam is a complete way of life.. when I say "complete" i mean, it has its own political system (Sharia) - it has its own tax system, it has its own legal system, and even cuisine.

Christianity is a bit more "personal" - Christianity focuses on "me" - Islam focuses on "you".

For example - for a muslim to be a good muslim and to live in "purity of heart" - every woman around him must be veiled - so he doesn't have any lustful thoughts.

In Christianity, the problem is never other people, its our hearts. I can't tell a priest, during confession - "Abouna , I sinned, I raped a woman because she was wearing a mini-skirt, its NOT my fault abouna".

The examples are endless. Is it an ideology? Sure! Muslims don't deny that. But its hardcoded in the religion to be dominant.

For example - the god of Islam is meant to be "just" right? He CANNOT, for the life of him, treat a muslim and a non muslim equally. HE CANNOT. He's just not up for it. So, this has to be manifested in many ways.

For example: a muslim can pay Zakat (a small tax). A non muslim or kafir can pay Jizya (a hefty fine for not choosing Islam as his/her religion). During an interview with the MB, they clearly said that they would RE-INTRODUCE the Jizya again if they were elected. Why? BECAUSE GOD IS JUST.

The interviewer said: "But why don't both pay the same taxes?? ". The MB spokesman said "NO! ITS NOT POSSIBLE" ... lol.. of course on national TV he can't appear to be intolerant, but the fact of the matter is that he cannot also deny the basics of his faith.

I thought this was so obvious.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=10792.msg147963#msg147963 date=1322166058]
    [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=10792.msg131315#msg131315 date=1298327445]
    Hi all,

Thank u in advance.

Gb

Islam is a complete way of life.. when I say "complete" i mean, it has its own political system (Sharia) - it has its own tax system, it has its own legal system, and even cuisine.

Christianity is a bit more "personal" - Christianity focuses on "me" - Islam focuses on "you".

For example - for a muslim to be a good muslim and to live in "purity of heart" - every woman around him must be veiled - so he doesn't have any lustful thoughts.

In Christianity, the problem is never other people, its our hearts. I can't tell a priest, during confession - "Abouna , I sinned, I raped a woman because she was wearing a mini-skirt, its NOT my fault abouna".

The examples are endless. Is it an ideology? Sure! Muslims don't deny that. But its hardcoded in the religion to be dominant.

For example - the god of Islam is meant to be "just" right? He CANNOT, for the life of him, treat a muslim and a non muslim equally. HE CANNOT. He's just not up for it. So, this has to be manifested in many ways.

For example: a muslim can pay Zakat (a small tax). A non muslim or kafir can pay Jizya (a hefty fine for not choosing Islam as his/her religion). During an interview with the MB, they clearly said that they would RE-INTRODUCE the Jizya again if they were elected. Why? BECAUSE GOD IS JUST.

The interviewer said: "But why don't both pay the same taxes?? ". The MB spokesman said "NO! ITS NOT POSSIBLE" ... lol.. of course on national TV he can't appear to be intolerant, but the fact of the matter is that he cannot also deny the basics of his faith.

I thought this was so obvious.

Thank you zoxasi, that is very clear explained! So, it is a idelogy AND a religion. Sa7?
  • Thanks to everyone who replied!

God Bless you all
  • hi..

i would recommend u watch this.. it answers your questions: