Oswald Chambers

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Am I the only one who isn't a fan of OC?  ::)

Comments

• who is he?
  • same I have never heard of him
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12577.msg147654#msg147654 date=1321545632]
    Am I the only one who isn't a fan of OC?  ::)

Well, can u give us background on who he is, and what you like about him?
  • I don't like anything about the guy. He's overrated by all the Coptic youth (but obviously not the ones on this forum).

Here is the site everyone is going goo-goo ga-ga over: http://utmost.org/

Warning: his "inspirational" quotes are life-changing, jaw opening, and super spiritual.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

I just threw up a little in my mouth.
  • Besides being protestant, how heterodox is he exactly?

He doesn't look too out of the ordinary. At first glance, he seems like a typical protestant.

+++
  • I've never heard of him. . .why do you say the Coptic youth are attracted to him?
  • Wow, I can't believe no ones heard of him!  :o

We have youth here (not just in my state, but in my side of the country) who are going to name their children 'Oswald' in honor of his holy and o-so-spiritual being.

I don't know much about him except that he died doing missionary work in Egypt (which makes him equivalent to St. Mark, I think), and his quotes should be in the Bible, because they're super spiritual and uplifting.

So far a day hasn't passed by where at least 3 people post one of his quotes (from that utmost site) as their status, 50 people reply and 843 people "like" it.

If I posted any one of those replies, you would all throw up a little in your mouth. Its ridiculously stupid how Copts are treating him.
    They're going to protest soon to have his name added to the Commemoration of Saints.
  • That's nice.
    Did he write the lyrics for Kumbaya?
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

[quote author=TITL link=topic=12577.msg147684#msg147684 date=1321630139]
    They're going to protest soon to have his name added to the Commemoration of Saints.

Pfft! Like that's going to happen. If Origen isn't a saint, this guy certainly won't be.
  • ilovesaintmark,

No. We sing Kumbaya in church in honor of him. With our nasally voices. And a microphone too.

Cephas,

Just wait.
  • Hey Guys,
    This guy seems to add nothing to what the Orthodox fathers speak about. I see nothing special with him, but I do see something that may be the reason for the youth being attracted to him. The reason that a lot of us did not like this is because we have something to compare it to. Cephas, you said that you threw up in your mouth, and I believe the reason you did that is because you have a deep knowledge of church fathers, and so, this guys is nothing more than a cheap imitation of them in your eyes.

The fact that he is not Orthodox worries me. He may later on say something that is theologically incorrect (I havent looked through all of his writings so he mat have already done so) and because the youth have placed uneailding trust in him, they follow him in his deceit. so I think that beyond the fact that he is nothing special, and really just a petty excuse for a preacher, comes with the possibility of theological error, and this raises a necessity to get the youth to get out of their excessive love for him.

So how do we do that? Well, as Orthodox Christians, we have a deep wealth of amazing fathers. Chrysostom, Athanasius, Cyril, Gregory, and many others. We need to encourage the youth to read on those fathers. However, to read on fathers is not a very prominent concern in the minds of the youth. That is why I recommend church book clubs to read the fathers, Sunday school lessons to include many sayings of the fathers, and another thing (which I see wavering a lot these days especially in my home church) is the use of fathers in sermons. All of these will give the youth a desire to read the fathers, who will teach them secure teachings in a way the OC could never ave done, and then, they will turn around and vomit in their mouths when they see OC.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • I just realized... he is dead, so there is nothing more that he can say. My bad  :-[
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12577.msg147684#msg147684 date=1321630139]
    Wow, I can't believe no ones heard of him!  :o

We have youth here (not just in my state, but in my side of the country) who are going to name their children 'Oswald' in honor of his holy and o-so-spiritual being.

I don't know much about him except that he died doing missionary work in Egypt (which makes him equivalent to St. Mark, I think), and his quotes should be in the Bible, because they're super spiritual and uplifting.

So far a day hasn't passed by where at least 3 people post one of his quotes (from that utmost site) as their status, 50 people reply and 843 people "like" it.

If I posted any one of those replies, you would all throw up a little in your mouth. Its ridiculously stupid how Copts are treating him.

Lol TITL where are you? And how much are you exaggerating haha?
  • Southeast.

And you're crazy. I've never exaggerated in my life. What do I look like to you? Egyptian?

Btw, update on the number: this many people "like" it and reply.
  • Haven't heard of OC either..

Take only the edifying parts and leave the wrong ones in God's hand. If he was wrong then be assured his teaching will not survive. If he had attacked our COC in any way, may God forgive him and produce a servant to refute it. Do not worry about it, do not divide.

GBU