Pope Shenouda III--39th Anniversary of His Papal Enthronement

2»

Comments

• May the Lord grant him to live as long as St. Shenouda the Archmandrite!
  • Man, I love watching the people celebrate HH's anniversary  ;D
  • [quote author=Andrew link=topic=9995.msg147494#msg147494 date=1321292782]
    May the Lord grant him to live as long as St. Shenouda the Archmandrite!

But that's only 30 more years  :'(
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9995.msg122249#msg122249 date=1289809068]
    The Coptic Orthodox Church says the following at the end of each and every liturgy (at the end of Amen Alleluia)

You inherited the grace of Moses and the priesthood of Melchisadek....and the wisdom of Solomon
    You forgot the "the old age of Methuselah" in that hymn.
    George
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=9995.msg147505#msg147505 date=1321300057]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9995.msg122249#msg122249 date=1289809068]
    The Coptic Orthodox Church says the following at the end of each and every liturgy (at the end of Amen Alleluia)

You inherited the grace of Moses and the priesthood of Melchisadek....and the wisdom of Solomon
    You forgot the "the old age of Methuselah" in that hymn.
    George

969 days.......
  • The Lord is at your right hand, our saintly father, the patriarch, Papa Abba Shenouda III. May the Lord keep your life. Alleluia!
  • Mina,

Stop being a pessimist.
  • OMG.....i am sorry. what i said was wrong:
    it's 969 YEARS
  • I thought it was the 40th Anniversary of Pope Shenouda III's Papal Enthronement???
    GOD BE WITH HIM ALWAYS!!!
  • It is.

This thread was posted a year ago, so I keep changing the title when I post.
  • Hey Guys,

Congratulations to our Father Abba Shenouda.
    I wanted to speak about something posted earlier in this thread last year being that someone said that they fear for what will happen to the church after Pope Shenouda. I feel that this is incorrect. We have no fear. Pope Shenouda can do nothing were it not by the help of Jesus and his guidance. Pope Shenouda was not chosen by men (he had received the least number of votes in the synod) but by God (through the altar draft). Therefor, the same God who chose to act through Pope Shenouda will chose the best successor (when the time is right of course), and will act through him.

I just want to make sure that we are more keen on thanking God for taking care of us under the guidance of H.H. and remember that God is the true father. Regardless of who the revelation of this guidance comes from.

Again, Congrats to H.H. and may God do what He sees is right for the church and H.H. We trust in the master.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=9995.msg147540#msg147540 date=1321373881]
    It is.

This thread was posted a year ago, so I keep changing the title when I post.

Yes, someone posted this link about the Anniversary. Very encouraging
    http://allafrica.com/stories/201111150942.html
  • The Father of the Fathers

Do you see the happieness, do you see the smile on this monk's face?

His prize is Heaven, his focus is God, truly he's an elevation to the human race

Oh how I wish to be like you, no matter what happens always at peace

Even though around you, wars and fights from the devil do not cease

But you always stay with Christ, thinking only of what He wills

Your actions teaching us all, everyone, even little boys and little girls

Your name is Shenouda, Patriarch, the father of the fathers

From you leaders fear, and try to keep us farther and farther

Maybe its because by your side, is Christ the king, the almighty Creator

Or maybe another reason, but in the end their actions are just like Judas the traitor

All I know is close to my heart you will always be, and your words will always guide me

Your wisdom is beyond a human being, your knowledge is beyond what an eye can see

Your eyes are filled with God's fear, your strength is beyond that of a lion

Loving your church and your children, just like David did with Zion

Patriotic, loving your land, a new Mark teaching God's commands

Loving unity between everyone, making Egypt strong as it stands

When the unity was broken, your eyes sprang as a waterfall

Each drop was as a mountain, causing tears in our eyes to crawl

Pope Shenouda, some stand against you with anger and hate

But I'm sure soon, God they will taste, and regret ever being so irate

Everyday and night I thank God for putting a father like you for us

But one more thing I pray, "please keep him for many more years, my beloved Jesus"
  • Aw, your poem is almost as good as ILSM's OP.

Hehe, just kidding. I love it!!!!!!

I wish I had the gift of poetry.

Roses are red, Violets are blue
    I love Baba Shenouda
    And so do all of you

Do I qualify?
  • It's very haram and I'd even say "3ab" to respond to "Obal meet senna" with "Well, actually, science tells us otherwise." If the Lord wants to keep HH for 100 more years, then His Will be done. And I pray that this is His Will. I can't possibly state my admiration and love for HH any better than our Fathers did when they wrote this hymn:

May the God of heaven confirm you on your throne for many years and peaceful times. And humiliate all your enemies under your feet speedily. Pray for us your Holiness. We love you!
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9995.msg122241#msg122241 date=1289789708]
    ...  He is already in the top 10 of longest reigning popes.

Who are the top ten longest reigning popes?
  • The longest reining Pope was H.H. Pope Cyril the 5th. 53 YEARS AS PATRIARCH!

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • I feel like David Letterman.

#1: Cyril V, 1874-1927, 53 years
    #2: Athanasius I, 328-373, 46 years
    #3: Demetrius I, 189-232, 43 years
    #4: Gabriel 8th, 1526-1569, 43 years
    #5: John 16th, 1676-1718, 42 years
    #6: Peter 7th, 1810-152, 42 years
    #7: John 12th, 1483-1524, 41 years
    #8: Shenouda 3rd, 1971-current, 40 years
    #9: Benjamin, 622-661, 39 years
    #10: Damian, 569-605, 36 years

Just so you can conceptualize this, the average patriarchate is around 20 years. In the See of Constantinope the average patriarchate is 5 years (because they are allowed to retire from the office).
  • It's like there was a vote in Heaven as to who would be the best person to serve us at this time as Pope, and the whole heavenly orders unanimously voted for Pope Shenouda III......such a gift from Heaven, A gift from GOD!!!
  • Woops forgot to reply here...

[quote author=Michael Boutros link=topic=9995.msg147550#msg147550 date=1321383962]
    It's very haram and I'd even say "3ab" to respond to "Obal meet senna" with "Well, actually, science tells us otherwise." If the Lord wants to keep HH for 100 more years, then His Will be done. And I pray that this is His Will. I can't possibly state my admiration and love for HH any better than our Fathers did when they wrote this hymn:

May the God of heaven confirm you on your throne for many years and peaceful times. And humiliate all your enemies under your feet speedily. Pray for us your Holiness. We love you!

I didn't say "science tells us otherwise", I said "it's haram for a christian to live that long", but that was last year. I was a baby last year. I've changed my mind and now I want my pope to live 438902439032 years.

Remnkemi,

Thanks!! I was trying to calculate them one by one, and gave up after pope #5.

Pope Shenouda is #8!! What a coincidence, 8 is my favorite number! That must mean something...  ;)

elsi70x7,

I agree! :)

• And next year, he will be 7th. That must means something too!