Using the Lord's name in Vain

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
well, a lot of people consider stuff like "Oh my G-d" is using the Lord's name in vain and I personally considers it the same, but what about stuff like "God Bless you",, is it the same because i simply don't have the power to do so??

Comments

• Hi Tenacpi esna onkh,

I think those people, the moment they say oh my God, they weren't thinking of God at that time but things weren't happening to their own expectations. Do their own expectations involve God? Only if your doing his will might it be close. So the expectations are vainity.

God bless you I feel is ok because it involves God's love and compassion and this is part of his will.
  • My FoC told me that whenever you say OMG, remember God in the process.
  • I honestly think this commandment is broken more than any other commandment in the entire Bible.

(Except for the ones telling is to love.)

I think you have a "voice" to tell you whether or not it's in vain. I think it's something the Holy Spirit reveals to us. If it's not a cry for His help and if it's not praising him, then you at least want to think twice about it.
  • What exactly does "in vain" mean?
  • Vain : without real significance, value, or importance; baseless or worthless.
    It is mentioning God, without true purpose that pertains to God. A person is not truly referring to God when he/she mentions God.

Correct me if I'm wrong though. :)
  • [quote author=drilago99 link=topic=12558.msg147425#msg147425 date=1321108695]
    Vain : without real significance, value, or importance; baseless or worthless.
    It is mentioning God, without true purpose that pertains to God. A person is not truly referring to God when he/she mentions God.

Correct me if I'm wrong though. :)

Oh ok! Thanks drilago. Then this commandment is actually broken very often as George said. Like all the times people say "Jesus Christ!" or just trivialize the concept of God. Going back to the original question what about when you say "God bless you" to someone who sneezes?
  • [quote author=drilago99 link=topic=12558.msg147405#msg147405 date=1321060307]
    My FoC told me that whenever you say OMG, remember God in the process.

I'm guessing, so whenever you use God's name, remember God. If one says "Jesus Christ," remember the Lord and actually pray it in your heart. Correct me if I'm wrong again. :)
  • I think what it comes down to is "intent to offend."

If you use Gods name with the intention to offend the Lord himself -  it is without a doubt "in vain", and no doubt a lot worse (the sin would vary from instance to instance). Or, if you use his name with intent to offend his followers, you are being completely uncharitable.

However I do think if you say "oh my god" with no intent to offend it cannot be wrong, for God knows and judges us on our intentions and heart. If in the process you are offending people through ignorance or carelessness, then you are simply displaying bad manners.

I think the same applies with general swearing to be honest, but this is just my thoughts and not based on any real theological research.
  • I can agree with that to a certain extent, Luke.

However, we need to keep in mind that others will hear our words and unlike our Lord they can't tell our intentions.
  • [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12558.msg147473#msg147473 date=1321239644]
    I can agree with that to a certain extent, Luke.

However, we need to keep in mind that others will hear our words and unlike our Lord they can't tell our intentions.

Which is why I never condoned it :)
  • [quote author=Coptic Soldier link=topic=12558.msg147478#msg147478 date=1321252540]
    [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12558.msg147473#msg147473 date=1321239644]

When saying: God Bless You, You are simply blessing someone u arent using Gods name in vain AT ALL! atheists say God Bless u this is for when someone sneezes, not like sayin OMG that uses Gods name in vain :(
  • [quote author=Coptic Soldier link=topic=12558.msg147478#msg147478 date=1321252540]
    [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12558.msg147473#msg147473 date=1321239644]

Yeah, I never said you did. I was just trying to make the point that it doesn't simply come down to intentions.