Horoscopes

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
What do you guys think about Horoscopes? Are they against our religion, I feel they are, but I don't know, forgive my ignorance.
If not, do you guys believe them? Some are SURPRISINGLY accurate.

Comments

• + Irini nem ehmot,

Astrology is against Orthodoxy. Don't bother with it. The 'advice' is so generic it can apply to virtually anyone.
  • Glad you did  ;D
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=12405.msg145307#msg145307 date=1317179083]
    Here is a nice horoscope for you.

Great Horoscope EVERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
  • I'm sure the passages below should clear up why:

[quote=Deuteronomy 4:19]And take heed, lest you lift your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun, the moon, and the stars, all the host of heaven, you feel driven to worship them and serve them, which the LORD your God has given to all the peoples under the whole heaven as a heritage.

[quote=Isaiah 47:13-14]13 You are wearied in the multitude of your counsels;
          Let now the astrologers, the stargazers,
          And the monthly prognosticators
          Stand up and save you
          From what shall come upon you.
          14 Behold, they shall be as stubble,
          The fire shall burn them;
          They shall not deliver themselves
          From the power of the flame;
          It shall not be a coal to be warmed by,
          Nor a fire to sit before!
  • Nice one George!! ;D
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=12405.msg145307#msg145307 date=1317179083]
    Here is a nice horoscope for you.
    I love the horoscope!  What other ones do you have?
  • I wouldn't necessarily say that horoscopes are bad. When you say that they are surprisingly accurate, it's because writers have a trick. They predict something very vague, but at the same time, you feel that it specifically has to do with you.

Of course, it is against Orthodoxy to believe what the stars tell you, but it is not wrong to read horoscopes. Just as long as you don't take them seriously.
  • yes it is wrong.
    we should not follow the temptation to 'force' God to reveal the future to us.
    when we are ready to know it, He tells us in His own way.
    the Bible is clearly against fortune telling as those who 'tell the future' outside of God's permission are proud, self-seeking and rebellious.
    pride is always wrong.

better not to know and to be surprised by God's love and humbled by His mercy.
  • If horoscopes were true, then twins would have the same fate. It is obvious that twins, no matter where they live, will not have identical lives nor fates.

We have a great example of this in the Bible: Jacob and Esau were twins, yet they lived very different lives, had different interests, and their lives went in two opposite paths.

• [quote author=Biboboy link=topic=12405.msg149393#msg149393 date=1324506604]
    If horoscopes were true, then twins would have the same fate. It is obvious that twins, no matter where they live, will not have identical lives nor fates.

We have a great example of this in the Bible: Jacob and Esau were twins, yet they lived very different lives, had different interests, and their lives went in two opposite paths.

great example  :)
  • Astronomy  :)