I am angry that my church doesn't offer some things that others do

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
so to begin with i feel that my church isn't really helping me to get closer to god
the specific scenario on why I'm mad is that today i went to the youth meeting to hear abuna speak(we NEVER have abunas speak it is always the same people) and the meeting starts at 430 i showed up and waited with abuna till 515 and no one came so we canceled it and went to the college youth meeting. i was so bummed that we couldn't hear abuna speak then at 530 my friend came and he is always late but i felt so insulted that he cared so little about this.
no one else from the high school meeting came
this is why we don't have good speakers it is because no one shows up we have a huge group of kids in the high school but they all hate the meeting. i argued with my dad about going to a different meeting an hour away with another coptic orthodox church but he says no.
im a senior and a servant at this church and it kills me to see the kids in my fathers sunday school curse and do such other terrible things in high school as soon as they leave the church.  i feel so lonely and deserted because i made a decision to not surround my self with bad people any more(i used to be a very "bad" kid but now i just want to be "gods" kid) and now i can't even look to my church for good friends. i try so hard to make the meeting more fun and i tell the servants in charge and were all killing ourselves trying to bring people but we can't.  and i just got into a fight with my father trying to tell him that his kids are not were they should be and he got offended and yelled at me. i honestly feel sad, and alone i want to learn so bad but no one else in church does. i guess what I'm asking is is it ok to leave this church and go to one that can help me ? or is this disloyalty

Comments

• Dear Benjamin,

Your post was a bit confusing but I will attempt to offer a response that can benefit you.

Not all churches are blessed to have great servants, good youth and successful activities. Those churches that are blessed in these areas are so because they were diligent and persistent. Many tears and efforts lead to fruits.

So, be diligent and persistent in your own church. If everyone that felt the situation was bad just left, who would help find a solution? Be a part of the solution. Don't solve a problem by creating another problem.

I strongly encourage you to read this short article: Stick Around and You Will be Saved, by Andrew Youssef

I think it will answer your question.

Many people have thoughts about leaving their church. Some go through with it, others don't. I think those who stay will receive a greater reward. 
  • thank you that answers my question perfectly do you have any ideas asa to how i could help?
    and i apologize it was probably confusing because i literally just vented on a forum haha but your advice is extremely helpful thank you so much
  • First: Please read the article. It helped me when I had thoughts of leaving my own church, in the past. If you do not understand it, I can summarize it for you.

You can help by going to every meeting and always being positive. Others will follow, in due time.

I have had the blessing in participating as a leader in one of the youth meetings at my church. For so many months only one or two people would come. I was frustrated but I kept on coming. As one servant told me: If no one comes, thank God that He has given you another opportunity to sit in His house and enjoy His company. Thank God, about 10 people are coming every week now and I have a feeling that this will grow. But it is never about the number. I was always happy seeing that one person was benefiting. Our Lord Jesus Christ had only 12 followers! We should be content if even one person comes :-)

Start bringing more young people, one by one.

Read your Bible daily so you can add valuable words to the topic in the youth meeting.

Pray for the church, the servants and the youth. But have faith and rest assured that the Lord will not leave His flock without a shepherd.

Talk to your FOC about this.

Be obedient to your father and those older than you. Understand that they want to see the church service succeed just as you do. They try and it may seem that they don't care but they do. Be patient with them and understand that we are all humans and have weaknesses. Ask them what you can do to help.

Do the small things that help the meeting. Set up chairs, get the books ready, etc.

[quote=Luke 16]"He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much."
  • Just some ideas: (Most of them my church does)
    1. It's open discussion - anyone can talk.
    2. We usually have soccer/sports after youth mettings.
    3. Usually is on thursday night.
    4. Call people when they dont show. (Very important & not only you but the youth at the meeting should also call.)
    5. Sometimes make games to make it more interesting.
  • [quote author=Abanoub737 link=topic=12541.msg147157#msg147157 date=1320691659]
    Just some ideas: (Most of them my church does)
    4. Call people when they dont show. (Very important & not only you but the youth at the meeting should also call.)

Abanoub, how does your church manage to have it on Thursday nights, what with school, afterschool activities, hw, and sports?

for me, my church holds the youth meeting on Friday nights at like 9, after Asheya. but people always come much earlier to hang out. Our youth meeting is always packed, but sometimes i feel like people don't come to benefit spiritually, in other words, sometimes our church is likened to a community club. (and i do it too, but ive been trying to come to Church now with a more spiritual motive). anyways, i guess my church is lucky to even have people attend these meetings.
  • [quote author=ForeverYours link=topic=12541.msg147166#msg147166 date=1320708603]
    [quote author=Abanoub737 link=topic=12541.msg147157#msg147157 date=1320691659]
    Just some ideas: (Most of them my church does)

Abanoub, how does your church manage to have it on Thursday nights, what with school, afterschool activities, hw, and sports?

for me, my church holds the youth meeting on Friday nights at like 9, after Asheya. but people always come much earlier to hang out. Our youth meeting is always packed, but sometimes i feel like people don't come to benefit spiritually, in other words, sometimes our church is likened to a community club. (and i do it too, but ive been trying to come to Church now with a more spiritual motive). anyways, i guess my church is lucky to even have people attend these meetings.

I forgot to mention that was during the summer, but since school started we just have the meeting on Friday from 5:30 to 8 or something I forgot (It's been like three weeks since we've had one)