Shout-Out Box on the Forum

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Alright, I've asked the Admins about this a year ago, they said they would take it into consideration and put it on their "to-do" list.

I personally think they forgot.

Maybe if enough people are in favor of this, the Admins will re-consider the Shout-out box :)

Comments

• There would be a lot more spamming if we have a shout box.
  • What exactly is a "shout-out box"? What's the function/purpose?
  • There should be a way to manipulate the answers on this poll :P

Unworthy1,

I'll explain when I get on later... but for now, click "yes".
  • i think it's a way of saying 'hi' to people.
    let's just have a 'shout out' thread instead.
    i wanna say 'hi' to my new friend ophadece, who i have actually met!
    :o
    i was so star-struck i couldn't think of anything coptic to say to him.
    next time, i'll be prepared, brother!
    ;)

i also wanna say 'hi' to everyone in egypt.
    God bless u and give u peace.
  • This is what I told one of the Admins a year ago:

I have noticed that copticheritage.org has a "shout out" box and it allows members on the forum to communicate with each other without creating threads. I thought this might be useful on tasbeha for members to announce/comment/remind/celebrate other members in a short and easy way without having to PM or create an entire thread. These threads, as you know, take up a lot of space and Tasbeha Admins have to pay regularly for more space. This could save a lot of space on the forums, as well as benefit the members on here. I also think it would be a lot of fun!
  • A shoutbox is a box at the side of the webpage in which users who are currently online can all have like an instant messaging session.
  • Geomike,

Besides spam, name another reason you're against this.

My reasoning for yes is:

-saves space on the forum hence it..
    -saves money for Admins and..
    -saves useless posts and threads which..
    -saves time for posters and..
    -saves energy for Admins.

It can be used for:

-announcing a reminder of a topic
    -announcing a birthday
    -asking a quick question
    -"Shouting out" to other members
    - 53483289 other things

Copticheritage doesn't seem to have a lot of spam? They have a Shout-out Box.
  • It's pointless because the threads here need a response with thought and not just something you can think of in one second while you're instant messaging. Also, it gets a lot more annoying when there are 5 people who are asking about 5 different things (there' s obviously going to be more than 5). I am talking from experience and not theoretical inventions of the mind. The admins can make it, but you will see what i am saying. It will get very annoying. Instead of spiritual talk, secular vocabulary will take root in the forum and the spiritually driven forum will cease to exist. People will be in the shoutbox saying things such as, "So what did you eat today?", "how's your day?", "it's hot today", "that tam3eya was really heavy", and so on....

Trust me it will happen. And if a shoutbox is created mark my words, all that i have stated above will happen.
  • I'm afraid that Geomike will be right. Not necessarily because all of those things will happen, but because I don't know what a shout box is, but it sounds scary and I fear change.
  • IT'll be a good idea for someone looking for a hymn, or a song... no need for an entire thread just for that
    Oujai
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12460.msg146024#msg146024 date=1318467965]
    It's pointless because the threads here need a response with thought and not just something you can think of in one second while you're instant messaging.

A shout-out box isn't going to replace answers to threads. It will replace comments in threads like "someone hasn't answered my question yet in X thread!" or "ophadece, I'd like your input in the Coptic thread" or "today is Geomike's birthday!!!"...etc.

[quote author=geomike link=topic=12460.msg146024#msg146024 date=1318467965]
    Also, it gets a lot more annoying when there are 5 people who are asking about 5 different things (there' s obviously going to be more than 5). I am talking from experience and not theoretical inventions of the mind.

We're Egyptian, we're used to it ;)
    But seriously, walk into any Egyptian environment and you'll see 9 conversations taking place at once... by 6 people.

Instead of spiritual talk, secular vocabulary will take root in the forum and the spiritually driven forum will cease to exist. People will be in the shoutbox saying things such as, "So what did you eat today?", "how's your day?", "it's hot today", "that tam3eya was really heavy", and so on....

What makes these threads spiritual and not secular? Because the Admins regulated rules on the forum and we get disciplined for not following them.
    I doubt they will leave a Shout-out Box without a tight leash. Once people are aware of the rules, I don't think it's going to be a big deal.

Trust me it will happen. And if a shoutbox is created mark my words, all that i have stated above will happen.

We're more disciplined that CopticHeritage posters :P
    It should be a little different than what you're used to.
  • Trust me Tittl, don't think that everyone is going to follow the rules. Plus, if you are messaging someone in the shoutbox to answer your hymns discussion thread real quick it's pointless because if someone had the answer they would do it anyway if they were online, so dead end there. Plus, I am not talking from experience from the CopticHeritage forum, i never had an account there, i talk from experience from other various websites. They each have many people.

Plus, has anyone ever heard of a spammer? It is a program that will continuously post messages in the shoutbox for the user so it will be spamming. Many people will have it since it's so easy to make.
  • But you can create a program to get rid of them, right? :)

I don't think it should be used to answer hymn questions. People search these forums for previous answers, especially hymn related ones.
    I think it will be useful in other aspects though.

[quote author=geomike link=topic=12460.msg146039#msg146039 date=1318516091]
    Plus, I am not talking from experience from the CopticHeritage forum, i never had an account there, i talk from experience from other various websites. They each have many people.

Are they Coptic sites with an Admin named Maged who locks up everything?
  • No, they are programming websites that have over 50,000 members. Plus I can't make a program to stop spammers because i need access to the tasbeha.org server or have control of the site code, so in case you didn't realize yet it's illegal because i am not the owner haha. ;D
  • Kay, we'll get it for you. Is that all you need? :)
  • Hahaaha, no i don't need anything else, but make sure you send it to me through my secret service email.  ;D
  • All I need from you is a program that will create 9.7 million tasbeha accounts in 2 hours, have them all vote "yes", and we have a deal.

I'll work on, first, trying to figure out what a secret service email is, then finding out who's hiding the site code and I'll send it to you ASAP.

This will work :)
  • And what happens when you get 50 000 memebrs to vote yes?!
  • Boosted self esteem.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

A vote? When did this forum stop being a dictatorship and become a democracy?
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=12460.msg146079#msg146079 date=1318565175]
    + Irini nem ehmot,

A vote? When did this forum stop being a dictatorship and become a democracy?

exactly my point......
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12460.msg146076#msg146076 date=1318558226]
    Boosted self esteem.

That wasnt very nice, BUT  i do agree witth ur post it will hav spam and ppl not truly thinking about their responses, Geomike

Mary
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12460.msg146076#msg146076 date=1318558226]
    Boosted self esteem.

Hey!!! I asked the Admins and they said it was a good idea and they'd take it into consideration!

Egypt was (is) a dictatorship, and the population got rid of Mobarak on their own.

I'm not saying we can get rid of Maged, but enough votes will tell them something.
  • [quote author=Mary E link=topic=12460.msg146089#msg146089 date=1318577212]
    [quote author=geomike link=topic=12460.msg146076#msg146076 date=1318558226]
    Boosted self esteem.

That wasnt very nice, BUT  i do agree witth ur post it will hav spam and ppl not truly thinking about their responses, Geomike

Mary

Why wasn't that nice? I am pretty sure you would have a huge amount of self esteem if you got 50,000 yes's. Lol, i don't know how it's offended, but sorry if i offended someone.
  • Am I forgiven now?! :P