Pride vs Self confidence

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
What's the difference between being prideful and having self-confidence? Can one be confident yet still humble?

Thanks.

Comments

• Of course you can be self-confident and humble, though I don't think the term "self" confident is quite right, because the key is recognizing that it is God who gives you confidence (if GOD is with us, who can be against us?), as after all it is God who gives you the abilities you have, and so there is nothing inherent to you that is not given by God for which you could even feel proud. Pride only comes in when you leave God out or minimize His work in you and His blessings in favor of giving vain glory to yourself. Do you understand the difference now? Pride is human-centered: "Look at ME and what I did! Aren't I great?" Humility is the exact opposite. God blesses us and sustains us. Without God we are nothing and have nothing. All praise is due to God, and our "self-confidence" rightfully comes from God.

So it is good to be confident! With the right mindset, it shows a great and admirable trust in God.  :)
  • "I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who [a]infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency"- Philippians 4:13