Why isn't HH getting involved?

Why isn't HH Pope Shenouda getting involved with the events in Egypt? Why doesn't he make a statement or talk to the government or talk to foreign leaders?  There are many leaders that are in love with him and they would probably listen to what he asks.  Or why doesn't he ban the attendance of government officials to the Christmas/Easter liturgies until something good happens?

Comments

• I don't have an answer and I doubt others will (unless they spoke to HH directly on this matter). But rest assured that HH has reasons.
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12437.msg145761#msg145761 date=1317947462]
    Why isn't HH Pope Shenouda getting involved with the events in Egypt? Why doesn't he make a statement or talk to the government or talk to foreign leaders?  There are many leaders that are in love with him and they would probably listen to what he asks.  Or why doesn't he ban the attendance of government officials to the Christmas/Easter liturgies until something good happens?

How is he not involved? How involved you want to see him?
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12437.msg145761#msg145761 date=1317947462]

...because like a carricature picture I recently saw says: "A3shan mafeesh Masr!" translated to "because there is no Egypt!" Which government officials exactly will he go to? If he speaks to them, to whom are these government officials going to go with such instability and lack of leadership in the nation right now?? Plus, H.H. the Patriarch is as old as my geddo (Allah yerhamo) and they both went to school together in El-Minya and he's doing an awesome job for his age. Keep up the good work Baba Shenouda!
    Why isn't HH Pope Shenouda getting involved with the events in Egypt?

H.H. Pope Shenouda should not get involved in politics. His office is strictly spiritual and above the level of politics, specially the post-Mubarak politics. It would be a shame to descend to the level of the Muslim brotherhood or the military council.

? Why doesn't he make a statement or talk to the government or talk to foreign leaders?

The Egyptian government is made up of Muslim brotherhood members and the military council does not care. The foreign leaders do not give a rat's leg about the Copts unless there is something in it for them. Generally, Satan does not contradict himself and the world of politics is his domain, and everything works out smoothly within his camp.

There are many leaders that are in love with him and they would probably listen to what he asks.  Or why doesn't he ban the attendance of government officials to the Christmas/Easter liturgies until something good happens

Nobody cares. One should not project the ideals of the West on this part of the World.

• Why would anything good happen by getting involved, especially with the political situation of Egypt and the wider region right now. Isn't that poverty of leadership, except for insane Islamic parties, the reason why all the "revolutions" and tumult in the Middle East spell disaster for the Christians in every country? Looking at that, it is not the least bit surprising that HH or any other Christian leader does not become directly involved. Politics are not the power of the church. Prayer is.
  • Yes, like the latter two posts... Church is not a place of politics. There shouldn't be any interference of the church in the country's politics... that especially applies with VERY BOLD LETTERS to Egypt.
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • The holy synod decreed the next three days to fasting and prayer for all Copts around the world starting tomorrow.

http://www.copts-united.com/Arabic2011/Article.php?I=952&A=45101
  • HH is involved.  He is not only talking, he is begging.

You cannot negotiate with Muslims in the Government.  They patronize you as they are slitting your throat (and also burning your church down).
  • Yes, what is going on now is very sad. I just saw on cnn footage of army personel carriers intentionally running over Coptic Christians in a peaceful protest.

I have complete faith in H.H. because he is a wise person and one who has God first in his life is going to be successful in everything he does, as Psalm 1 says.

I don't think he should talk to any leader in Egypt. They don't deserve the attention and they won't do anything anyways. They are Muslims and close minded. I am not trying to be prejudice, but let's face the truth. There have been 167 incidents involving violence against the Christians since 1972 in Egypt, you would think they would know when to stop. This just shows how far they are from the True Light and I feel disgusted for anyone who believes that Islam is a religion of peace or anything of that sort. Islam's filth has been manifested for the 167th time in Egypt (just in Egypt not including any where else, not even infinity can describe the amount of times).
  • 167 times that came to light without a single culprit prosecuted. Do you have any idea how many other incidents that weren't counted, or deliberately thrown away from public view?
    OUJAI
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12437.msg145904#msg145904 date=1318303092]
    167 times that came to light without a single culprit prosecuted. Do you have any idea how many other incidents that weren't counted, or deliberately thrown away from public view?
    OUJAI

Exactly. That's a great point. Bottom line is it's sad and they have had too many chances to get themselves in check and it never happened. I believe that America should get involved instead of being in Libya where everything is fine, the people are choosing to seek their ruler and kill him, it's totally less import than what's going on in Egypt. It's straight up discrimination and it needs to be stopped.
  • Yes geomike, but why should America stop the discrimination in Egypt? Seriously, is America on some loose ends, and finished dealing with their own problems? Or because they are the biggest secular state defending the minorities' rights all over the world? Don't get me wrong - I by no means am trying to belittle your words, but I see it from another angle - it will be taken to make things worse, and what is happening now is not necessarily without (and I say it again WITHOUT) their involvement...
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • The U.S. will get involved when ITS interests are jeopardized. Do you they care about Libyans? They care about the OIL.
  • I won't say that you're wrong, Unworthy1, but I will say that it is very interesting that this charge gets often repeated specifically against the USA with regard to Libya when it is mostly European nations that are primed to benefit from access to Libya's oil, and the rebel-controlled oil company has no problem with this.

Just something to think about. Libyans may hate imperialists (and Qaddafi), but their interim governments like money.