Animal Slaughter/offering

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Many Hindus (and many western people) say that the Old Testament religion was very corupt with much animal slaughter/offering. Most Hindus, I think, don't practise animal offerings although they may have done that in the past. They say that the animal slaughter/offering reffered to in the Vedas are only to be understood in a spiitual way. They of course admit that some Vedic people ate meat but that's not our discussion right now. I personaly, do beleive that Hinduism may have come from Jews who travelled to India but I don't know. I must admit that vegetarianism was one reason why I had a tough time accepting Chistianity.
My question is: What do you say to the people who don't become Christians because of the animal slaughter/offering in the Bible?

Comments

• The animal offering started in the garden of Eden after the fall and before God expelled Adam and Eve from the garden.

The animal offering, therefore, comes from God Himself as a way to remind man that no forgiveness without the shedding of blood.

Animal offerings were a type of the offering of the Son on the cross.

How would you evangelize the shedding of the blood?

I would start with how forgiveness can be attained (Justice of God vs His Love). Then explain how an innocent must suffer for the guilty so that the guilty may escape the suffering.
  • [quote author=henrik.hank link=topic=12411.msg145382#msg145382 date=1317323053]I must admit that vegetarianism was one reason why I had a tough time accepting Chistianity.

Can you explain this statement? Christianity is neither for nor against vegetarianism.
  • [quote author=Michael Boutros link=topic=12411.msg145385#msg145385 date=1317325317]
    [quote author=henrik.hank link=topic=12411.msg145382#msg145382 date=1317323053]I must admit that vegetarianism was one reason why I had a tough time accepting Chistianity.

Can you explain this statement? Christianity is neither for nor against vegetarianism.

Orthodoxy is against vegetarianism if it is based on the notion that eating animals is immoral.
  • but you can be vegetarian and orthodox Christian.
    you just eat eggs and cheese at easter.
    actually eggs and cheese taste better than meat as far as i am concerned.

and many monks eat only fish, no meat, so i think it's not a big deal.
    the big deal is giving yourself to God and being willing to do His will.
    He loves you and wants you to know Him better and serve Him.
    :)
  • Can I add THAT there are specific reasons for the animal slaughtering for example:
    - Cain and Able the animal sent by Able was a BURNT OFFERING to them!!
    - Back in the Old Testament- at their times, it was like giving moneyyyy to the Lord, The Animals were worthhhhh  ALOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT/HEAPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    So yehhh!
    Hope I helped.
  • [quote author=Michael Boutros link=topic=12411.msg145385#msg145385 date=1317325317]
    [quote author=henrik.hank link=topic=12411.msg145382#msg145382 date=1317323053]I must admit that vegetarianism was one reason why I had a tough time accepting Chistianity.

Well, I just don't like killing. Animals doesn't seem to happy when they a being killed. Just look at some videos of animals that die a natual death and some that are being slaughter. you will see the difference. hat was one of my big problems with christianity.
    [quote author=Mary E link=topic=12411.msg146146#msg146146 date=1318663005]
    Can I add THAT there are specific reasons for the animal slaughtering for example:
    - Cain and Able the animal sent by Able was a BURNT OFFERING to them!!
    - Back in the Old Testament- at their times, it was like giving moneyyyy to the Lord, The Animals were worthhhhh  ALOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT/HEAPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    So yehhh!
    Hope I helped.

I always thaught that Adam ad Eve in the Garden of Eden was a vegetarian but Satan made them meat eaters.

I very much like this quote fom Shenouda III: "The wild creatures at that time used to eat
    grass (Gen.. 1: 29), they did not hunt down animals that were
    weaker than themselves or prey upon a creature of a different
    species such as Adam. There was not that 'wildness' in them
    which was to earn them the name of wild beasts. They were
    peaceful, and so was man.
    The amazing thing is that man lost his peace while he was still in
    the Garden of Eden, which happened after he sinned.
    When he sinned he was afraid, and he hid behind the trees.
    When he sinned he felt ashamed of his nakedness and sewed fig
    leaves together to cover himself. And God banished Adam and
    Eve from Paradise." http://tasbeha.org/content/hh_books/Calmness/index.html
    and I always liked this song about Adam and Eve: Do you think this song is for or against Christianity? Is it a good song for us Christians?