Talking about Fasting

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi everyone,
I have a question that has been bugging me for quite some time. Is it ok to diverge away from telling people we are fasting? Like during lunch at work or school when people see you not eating or not eating meat and dairy, If they ask why we are not eating is it wrong to just say im not hungry or something along those lines. I see muslims talk about how they are fasting and they show it off a bit and then people get sympathetic (blughhh). I dont want sympathy! I want prayers! Our Lord told us to not appear to men to be fasting, so how can we balance not telling people but yet keeping our fast without lying?

please pray for me.

Comments

• Don't go out of your way to tell people you are fasting. Don't go out extremely of your way to hide from people that you are fasting in such a way that it becomes a lie. I believe it is as simple as that.

WRONG REPLY: I am REALLY hungry but no thanks. I have been fasting all day and don't want to break it. (Makes you seem self-righteous)

CORRECT REPLY: No thanks, John.

John Doe: Come on man, it's my birthday!

WRONG REPLY: I really am allergic to chocolate cake, John. (In fact, you actually aren't)

CORRECT REPLY: I am trying to lose some weight, John. I don't think I can afford to have a piece of cake. But I really appreciate it! (Not necessarily a lie)

John Doe: Dude, you are in great shape! You have a six pack. You can afford one slice.

WRONG ANSWER: I just ate lunch. Maybe later. (In fact, you didn't eat anything)

CORRECT ANSWER: Forgive me for refusing the cake John. I am currently fasting with the church to prepare for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

John Doe: Okay, have a piece of this non-dairy cake.

WRONG ANSWER: Actually, that contains .1 % nonfat milk. I can't take it.

CORRECT ANSWER: Thanks, John.

You have to look at the person you are dealing with and understand what will edify them.

But their is nothing wrong with telling people you are fasting so long as you don't show off.

• great dialogue.
    that summarises my understanding of the situation too.
    :)
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=12012.msg142789#msg142789 date=1312843733]

I don't know if this was meant to be funny or not but it was. lol. Anyways, your solution is simple and practical. I like it  :D
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=12012.msg142789#msg142789 date=1312843733]
    Don't go out of your way to tell people you are fasting. Don't go out extremely of your way to hide from people that you are fasting in such a way that it becomes a lie. I believe it is as simple as that.

WRONG REPLY: I am REALLY hungry but no thanks. I have been fasting all day and don't want to break it. (Makes you seem self-righteous)

CORRECT REPLY: No thanks, John.

John Doe: Come on man, it's my birthday!

WRONG REPLY: I really am allergic to chocolate cake, John. (In fact, you actually aren't)

CORRECT REPLY: I am trying to lose some weight, John. I don't think I can afford to have a piece of cake. But I really appreciate it! (Not necessarily a lie)

John Doe: Dude, you are in great shape! You have a six pack. You can afford one slice.

WRONG ANSWER: I just ate lunch. Maybe later. (In fact, you didn't eat anything)

CORRECT ANSWER: Forgive me for refusing the cake John. I am currently fasting with the church to prepare for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

You have to look at the person you are dealing with and understand what will edify them.

But their is nothing wrong with telling people you are fasting so long as you don't show off.

I really liked this, good job, it helped way more than just summarizing. I liked that last one too. LOL.
  • thanks for that i really appreciate it