Orthodox Name Days

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,

As you all probably know, the Greek Orthodox Church, and their faithful, celebrate 2 birthdays:

* The day they were born, and
* The day they were baptised on.

Do we do this in the Coptic Orthodox Church?

If not - why not? Surely our baptism is important!? No?

Is there any chance of us restarting this??

I think the Greek Orthodox Church, what they do is they even call it a Name Day - i.e. the name of the saint whose feast it is on the day you were born.

Finally, can someone tell me where I can find the Coptic Saints feast days??

Thanks

Comments

• i think it was a tradition that started fairly late in the church history, so we don't have it.
    but we can certainly celebrate our name days if you like  :)
    i became orthodox on the feast day of saint matthias (according to the eastern orthodox calendar).
    i didn't know this when i chose saint matthias as my icon!

so i celebrate saint matthias' feast day, but obviously i can't take his name
    ;)
    i do happen to have a good orthodox saint's name (venerated all over the orthodox church) so i celebrate my name day as well. it was nice of my parents (who were atheist at the time) to give me a saint's name, so i am happy to keep it. my eastern orthodox friends congratulate me on my name day, i might not remember it otherwise (i am not good at remembering birthdays at the best of times)!

this is saint matthias' feast day on our (coptic) calendar:
    it is in may.
    http://www.copticchurch.net/synaxarium/7_8.html#1
  • i think it was a tradition that started fairly late in the church history, so we don't have it.
    but we can certainly celebrate our name days if you like  :)
    i became orthodox on the feast day of saint matthias (according to the eastern orthodox calendar).
    i didn't know this when i chose saint matthias as my icon!

so i celebrate saint matthias' feast day, but obviously i can't take his name
    ;)
    i do happen to have a good orthodox saint's name (venerated all over the orthodox church) so i celebrate my name day as well. it was nice of my parents (who were atheist at the time) to give me a saint's name, so i am happy to keep it. my eastern orthodox friends congratulate me on my name day, i might not remember it otherwise (i am not good at remembering birthdays at the best of times)!

this is saint matthias' feast day on our (coptic) calendar:
    it is in may.
    go to the tasbeha.org main page and go to 'our faith', 'lives of saints' and search with the name 'matthias' or look at 8th baramhat.
    i did try to post the link, but it was flagged as spam!
  • I was baptized on the 24th of November.

Very few people have any idea of their day of baptism.  At about 11 years old, I made my father dig through piles of paperwork to find my baptismal certificate.  I have it framed.  It hangs in my house where ever I have lived.
  • Baptized on sept 9
  • ilovesaintmark - abib 28 is the departure of mary magdalene. i guess we can't call you mary, but u can learn a lot from her life.
    minatasgeel -  nasie 4 is the departure of saint leparius, bishop of rome and the departure of saint poimen, the hermit.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=11988.msg142541#msg142541 date=1312456812]
    I was baptized on the 24th of November.

Very few people have any idea of their day of baptism.  At about 11 years old, I made my father dig through piles of paperwork to find my baptismal certificate.  I have it framed.  It hangs in my house where ever I have lived.

Excellent idea!! I was baptised on the same day of my birthday because my mother didn't want me to forget the day - and so that when I celebrate my Birthday, I'm indeed celebrating the fact that I'm a son of God.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=11988.msg142545#msg142545 date=1312464701]
    Excellent idea!! I was baptised on the same day of my birthday because my mother didn't want me to forget the day - and so that when I celebrate my Birthday, I'm indeed celebrating the fact that I'm a son of God.

wait so you were 1 yr old when you were baptized??
  • [quote author=Marenhos Epchois link=topic=11988.msg142554#msg142554 date=1312495180]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=11988.msg142545#msg142545 date=1312464701]

i was about to ask that question too
  • [quote author=Marenhos Epchois link=topic=11988.msg142554#msg142554 date=1312495180]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=11988.msg142545#msg142545 date=1312464701]

I know, I was asking the same question myself.
  • The reason is why my mother decided to baptise me 1 year after my birth was because she wanted me to never forget my baptism day and so made it on the same day as my birth.

I'd have been happy if she just baptized me earlier and wrote the day down on a piece of paper.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=11988.msg142586#msg142586 date=1312537866]
    The reason is why my mother decided to baptise me 1 year after my birth was because she wanted me to never forget my baptism day and so made it on the same day as my birth.

I'd have been happy if she just baptized me earlier and wrote the day down on a piece of paper.

was this in egypt?
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11988.msg142587#msg142587 date=1312542501]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=11988.msg142586#msg142586 date=1312537866]
    The reason is why my mother decided to baptise me 1 year after my birth was because she wanted me to never forget my baptism day and so made it on the same day as my birth.

was this in egypt?

yes
  • You just want two cakes  :D
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=11988.msg142589#msg142589 date=1312551393]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11988.msg142587#msg142587 date=1312542501]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=11988.msg142586#msg142586 date=1312537866]

was this in egypt?

yes

very interesting......