God Give God Take

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I have a question, why, when God gives you something that you have wanted for a long time, does he just take it away shortly afterward?
This could be anything from a job, to a friend, to a relationship, to even a character trait.

Forgive me my ignorance.

Comments

• Your question assumes that it was God who gave and it was God who took.

This is not usually the case. Sometimes, we force ourselves in situations that may seem to us good and let our emotions control us, but what we chose may not be the best for us "There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death".

So, sometimes it is our faulty choice that may lead God, through His mercy, to steer us away from our bad choices.

We may also be a factor in losing whatever God bestows on us; through our behavior. For example, one may be blessed with a good job and really deserves it. But through bad behavior (i.e. poor performance, lack of ethics, ...) would lose it.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks, that does help.
    But what about this, what if we are talking about  something God has given us to steer us away from bad choices, for instance, more knowledge/ a more mature personality/ a better relationship with Father of Confession, anything of the sort that strengthens our relationship with God.

And lets assume that out of our bad behavior these things are taken away from us; does that not contradict the fact that God is merciful, forgiving, and loving? Why would he take away something that has brought us closer to him in the first place?

Unless, it is not God that takes away these gifts, but if not him, who? Because only through him we can get them...
  • Well, no offense, but this thread is not going to lead to anything good. We can't just sit around and make up hypothetical situations and try to think like God the person who made us. WE AREN'T GOD. If we could have the same wisdom that God has and knowledge like God, what would be the purpose of there being a God?

The truth is God is good. Just because something seems good to us, it doesn't mean that it is good. God, in all His knowledge, love, and wisdom, knows what is good for us. Sometimes we just can't figure out the answer to why God did something, but we must be assured that He knows what is better for us than we do. God bless.
  • I understand where you're coming from, but as a human, I feel the need to know my religion better. Sorry for any blasphemy or anything.
    Regardless, as said in the point above, how do you explain the taking away of something that was actually beneficial to your spirituality?
  • +Even if we ask God for good things, things that will bring us closer to Him.. like wisdom/knowlegde for example, God will give it to us, only if we are humble. Humility is the key.
    If we do not have humility and God gives us wisdom then obviously we will fall into the sin of pride. God cares more about our salvation than giving us things.
    Say we are humble, will God give us these things? - from what i have seen around me - yes.
    The person who is humble considers these gifts as blessings from God that they do not deserve them because they deserve the worst on account of their sins, but God out of His mercy has given. He lifts up the lowly and gives grace to the humble.
    But in saying this, are we seeking the Giver or the gifts? "But seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added to you." Matt 6:33

“My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Cor 12:19
  • [quote author=liftmyheart link=topic=11891.msg141728#msg141728 date=1311307049]
    I understand where you're coming from, but as a human, I feel the need to know my religion better. Sorry for any blasphemy or anything.
    Regardless, as said in the point above, how do you explain the taking away of something that was actually beneficial to your spirituality?

Why do you question something that we can't ever answer. There is no way you will know what God knows, and you will never be able to think like Him. He knows what's good for us. Whatever you claim is helping your spirituality, maybe it isn't, or maybe it is but by with-holding it from you for a little while it will help you more in the long run. Again, I would like to emphasize that these questions you are asking are hypothetical. I don't like giving hypothetical answers especially to these kinds of useless questions, but I gave you a hypothetical answer because you are relentless. I hope that someday you will realize that asking hypothetical questions about God's actions is wrong and won't get you anywhere.
  • thank you ilovejesus
  • And lets assume that out of our bad behavior these things are taken away from us; does that not contradict the fact that God is merciful, forgiving, and loving? Why would he take away something that has brought us closer to him in the first place?

The way I understand your argument is like this:

God gives you something good, then you do something bad, then you lose what God gave you. So you blame god for taking it.

This is twisted logic.

You assume that you are complacent in all of this and assume also that God id not fair. The scenario you presented is exactly what took place with Adam and Eve. God gave them the paradise, they were close to God in the paradise, they lost the paradise because of their bad behavior and with it the closeness they had with God.

Losing paradise was not God's fault but was Adam's. Yet God prepared a way so that Adam may return.

We are responsible for losing God's blessings. We, through our actions, reject God's mercies.

Hope this helps.
  • the closer you get to God, the more you realise you want God Himself, not His gifts.
    maybe God is bringing you closer to Him.
  • God this year gave me something that got my spirituality few step forward... Later as time was passing, don't know what changed or what happened, this exact thing ruined my spirituality and took me away from church and God... Be thankful for what is given AND taken from you, cause you can't imagine how bad it can go.