A question about a vow

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
I need to ask you a question please:

My mother vowed to give money to our lord Jesus Christ on the name of the Mother of light Saint Mary. Does this mean she must put this money in a church built on the name of Saint Mary? Or can she give this amount to a poor family on the name of Saint Mary?

Thanks

Comments

• [quote author=baladoos link=topic=11785.msg140878#msg140878 date=1309817948]
    I need to ask you a question please:

My mother vowed to give money to our lord Jesus Christ on the name of the Mother of light Saint Mary. Does this mean she must put this money in a church built on the name of Saint Mary? Or can she give this amount to a poor family on the name of Saint Mary?

Thanks

She didn't vow to give to a church, also you said she vowed to give money to our Lord Jesus, so please read this passage from Matthew 25:34-40
    34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’
    37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

P.S I haven't heard of vowing like this, and I'm not sure if this is a correct practice because of what our Lord Jesus says in Matthew 5:33-37, so someone please explain the church's view on vowing on saints to me.
    33 “Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’ 34 But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.
  • anymore answers?
  • It is a vow to St. Mary.  She will know how to take care of the money.
  • it is generally a good idea to understand what you are vowing when you vow! asking afterwards is a bit late.
    i don't know what was in your mum's heart when she made this vow but God does. so she should pray and ask His guidance and give without pride and joyfully.
  • Vows, or a nadr is not wrong. No where in the bible does it state so. In fact i know many ppl who have done it and my priest supported me once when i did it.

A nadr or vow is a deal with a saint so that they help you in a certain situation (in simple terms). The nadr has to be clear so the person knows what they owe the saint because this is a very big deal.

In this case your mom promised to give to Christ in the name of Saint Mary, I would suggest she go talk to the priest and he will guide her on how to repay St. Mary, whether it must be to a church or to the poor in her name. I don't think it matter either way but ask to make sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong

God Bless
  • [quote author=Christrules link=topic=11785.msg142982#msg142982 date=1313039904]
    Vows, or a nadr is not wrong. No where in the bible does it state so. In fact i know many ppl who have done it and my priest supported me once when i did it.

A nadr or vow is a deal with a saint so that they help you in a certain situation (in simple terms). The nadr has to be clear so the person knows what they owe the saint because this is a very big deal.

In this case your mom promised to give to Christ in the name of Saint Mary, I would suggest she go talk to the priest and he will guide her on how to repay St. Mary, whether it must be to a church or to the poor in her name. I don't think it matter either way but ask to make sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong

God Bless

Nobody said that making a vow was wrong, but in the Wisdom of Sirach, it talks about how dangerous it is if you don't fullfil the vow.