did God create evil?

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
God did create everything, as i know, but isn't evil something that's created? So did God create evil? if so why? is it to give us the will to choose his way and not the evil way?

Comments

• God did not create evil. Evil is the negation of good. Death (and by default, evil) came into the world by the envy of the devil  and man's own will. (Prayer of Reconciliation - St. Basil Liturgy)

You cannot create evil. It is merely a departure from good. God is good. Good cannot do evil or else He would not be good.
  • To expand on what Unworthy1 said, we all know that the devil used to be an Angel. He was a creation of God.

Before the creation of Earth, when God created the heavens and the angels, the angels were on a trial period. That was their time to repent for any wrong they did. When Lucifer put himself above God (in his mind), he had a chance to repent, but then his time was over and the time of repentance for Angels came to an end. He was condemned to hell forever.

So, even at the roots of evil, it was pride (the negation of humility :P) that started it all.

I learned of this in Sunday school this past Sunday from the other servant who was giving the lesson, that's why I mention it :P

is it to give us the will to choose his way and not the evil way?

I guess now you are asking why did God not destroy the devil? Why did he not make Lucifer disappear rather than create the tormentor and tempter of our lives? Well, I think that is to give us the will to choose his way. Now, we are in our trial period and our period of repentance. If we sin, we can repent. Once we die, and once judgement day comes, our time to repent will be over and our future (in either heaven or hell), will be eternal.

If it wasn't for Pride, we would still be in the garden of Eden, eating of every fruit except the one.

I know I go into tangents alot, but this really gets my mind thinking :D
  • [quote author=tenoosht link=topic=11621.msg140023#msg140023 date=1308670941]
    To expand on what Unworthy1 said, we all know that the devil used to be an Angel. He was a creation of God.

Before the creation of Earth, when God created the heavens and the angels, the angels were on a trial period. That was their time to repent for any wrong they did. When Lucifer put himself above God (in his mind), he had a chance to repent, but then his time was over and the time of repentance for Angels came to an end. He was condemned to hell forever.

So, even at the roots of evil, it was pride (the negation of humility :P) that started it all.

I learned of this in Sunday school this past Sunday from the other servant who was giving the lesson, that's why I mention it :P

is it to give us the will to choose his way and not the evil way?

I guess now you are asking why did God not destroy the devil? Why did he not make Lucifer disappear rather than create the tormentor and tempter of our lives? Well, I think that is to give us the will to choose his way. Now, we are in our trial period and our period of repentance. If we sin, we can repent. Once we die, and once judgement day comes, our time to repent will be over and our future (in either heaven or hell), will be eternal.

If it wasn't for Pride, we would still be in the garden of Eden, eating of every fruit except the one.

I know I go into tangents alot, but this really gets my mind thinking :D

thank you so much and i don't know what tangents means, could you tell me?

[quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11621.msg139476#msg139476 date=1308084592]
    God did not create evil. Evil is the negation of good. Death (and by default, evil) came into the world by the envy of the devil  and man's own will. (Prayer of Reconciliation - St. Basil Liturgy)

You cannot create evil. It is merely a departure from good. God is good. Good cannot do evil or else He would not be good.

thank you so much
  • Wow, you guys know your facts!

Also, God does have the ability to control the devil, due to the fact that God only allowes the devil to give us as much temtation as we can handle. But submit to God, and he will draw closer to you, therefore all temptations will become less tempting, but there will be more temptations.
  • I've never heard about that idea that angels were on a "trial period" to repent. For them to repent, that means they must have done something wrong, and if this is true, why didn't God punish them as He did with the third of the angels that followed Satan and become demons themselves?!
  • About this question, if the devil was condemned to hell forver, what if one day he realized what he did was wrong and he asked GOD for forgiveness, would GOD give it to him?
  • [quote author=Farah Hafazalla link=topic=11621.msg142757#msg142757 date=1312807623]
    About this question, if the devil was condemned to hell forver, what if one day he realized what he did was wrong and he asked GOD for forgiveness, would GOD give it to him?

No. The devil and his companions are condemned forever.
  • I love this video, I hope it helps :)

• I was given an analogy.

You cannot see darkness or coldness. Darkness is the absence of light. Coldness is the absence of heat. You cannot see darkness, you just don't see light. You cannot feel coldness, you just don't feel heat.

The same is with evil.  Evil is the absence of God. God obviously is not in Satan and that is why he is evil.  People that are evil do not have God in them, they are dark and they do not have light.

Evilness was not created, it is just anywhere that God is not.

I hope you understand.
  • [quote author=Knowledge That Glows link=topic=11621.msg139473#msg139473 date=1308084082]
    God did create everything, as i know, but isn't evil something that's created? So did God create evil? if so why? is it to give us the will to choose his way and not the evil way?

In the liturgy the priest says "Evil entered into the world by the envy of the devil" (or something like that).
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=11621.msg142796#msg142796 date=1312855992]
    I was given an analogy.

You cannot see darkness or coldness. Darkness is the absence of light. Coldness is the absence of heat. You cannot see darkness, you just don't see light. You cannot feel coldness, you just don't feel heat.

The same is with evil.  Evil is the absence of God. God obviously is not in Satan and that is why he is evil.  People that are evil do not have God in them, they are dark and they do not have light.

I hope you understand.

Hahaha I think you'd really like the video I posted  :P
  • [quote author=Tishori link=topic=11621.msg142841#msg142841 date=1312910761]
    [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=11621.msg142796#msg142796 date=1312855992]
    I was given an analogy.

I hope you understand.

Hahaha I think you'd really like the video I posted  :P

Wow. I really have never seen that video before. But I have gotten many emails about stories like this where the teacher says something the student completely destroys them. For example, "God does not exist because we cannot see him"...I love that one!
  • Thank you for responding to my question.  :)