His Divinity did NOT Depart His Humanity

1235»

Comments

• In the Name of the FATHER+ and of the SON+ and of the HOLY SPIRIT+, The One True God. Amen.

Theosis: It's a doctrine of the Orthodox Church based on Christ's words found in St. John 17:22-23 (that's right, pick up that Bible! Lol.). Most Christians believe that the virtuous life consists of going to church, observing the Commandments and doing good for others. Yet these things are only the means to an authentic Christian life. The true aim of Christian life is "Deification/Theosis", or union with Almighty God by acquiring the HOLY SPIRIT. Our call in living is not just to be "good", but to be perfect, to be 'gods by grace".
    Now before anybody jumps on me let's clarify this. The Scripture tells us,

" that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. (2Peter 1:4 NKJV- I picked up the Bible...lol! )".

In Eastern Orthodoxy there's a distinction between God's ESSENCE and His ENERGIES.The word " GOD" in the Scriptures refer not to the divine nature/essence, for that is unknowable. "GOD" refers to the divine energies-the power and grace of GOD we perceive in this world. The Greek word for "GOD" (THEOS), comes from a verb meaning "run", see", or "burn". These are energy words, so to speak, not essence words. This is found in St. John of Damascus' writings. What does it mean to be "deified"? We are to become like GOD by His GRACE and truly His adopted children, but never become GOD by nature. GOD's essence/nature is INIFINITE and ours is FINITE. Thus, we can never be like Him in essence since His essence is so inifinitely greater than ours. We participate in GOD's energy by reading Scripture (prayerfully with a patristic mind), praying,the Sacraments,  especially through the Holy Eucharist (the Sacrament par excellance). This is a synergistic relationship which means cooperation with GOD (James 2:14-26).

Again, St. John of Damascus gives us the example of the sword in the fire. The sword in a fire aquires the PROPERTIES OF FIRE (HEAT AND LIGHT) but it can't never aquire the ESSENCE/NATURE of fire (it can never become fire itself).

I hope this helps and please forgive me if I have confused anybody more. May GOD bless Egypt!  

P.S. Thank you for your prompt reply, Fr. Peter. I will ask for your prayers that the Lord may guide me more.   
  • I tend to agree with you, Fr. Peter and thank you very much.
  • hey, welcome back boricua orthodox, long time no see!
    i hope you write some more, i find your posts very interesting.
    :)
  • Thank you Mabsoota....I miss this forum  ;D!