Coptic culture

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
:) :)

I know the main purpose of this forum is spiritual but since it is also Coptic I was wondering if perhaps people here might share some information with me about Coptc life and culture.I would be quite interested in learning more about Coptic life;anything you might wish to share I would really enjoy hearing about.I sometimes watch the food network and was wondering what favorite foods do copts like?Does your culture have any specialty foods that are unique?Just general things like that would be most interesting to learn about in my attempt to understand the Coptic people better.

Comments

• I can tell you that coptic is like greek i think. Oh, they speak coptic!!lol
    Why don't you [glow=red,2,300]search the web [/glow] for some info.Good luck and god bless

[move]Tenoosht[/move]
  • :D

I can tell you that coptic is like greek i think. Oh, they speak coptic!!lol
    Why don't you search the web
    for some info.Good luck and god bless

I can find alot of information on the web about Coptic Orthodoxy but very little about everyday life.I would like to hear from the primary source itself...living and breathing Coptic christians themselves...lol
  • well our favorite food would far out be: MOLOKHEYA and BAMYA ;D

somebody translate blease ;)
  • Molokhaia and Besilla

[move]Tenoosht[/move]
  • Some food would be
    [glow=red,2,300]Molokaia [/glow] Green soup
    Besilla Peas
    Bamia ??????
    Fasolia Stringed peas
    Batatis Potaoes
    Taamia ????????
    Foul Black beans i think

That is what my mom makes.

[move]Tenoosht[/move]
  • Bamia = okra
  • whats up with you guys and vegtables...eww :-X (jk)
    no the best stuff are the deserts..(ok and i guess some vegetables are alright...)

-basbooosa..(some cake-like desert..made from sesame flour..etc...cant explain it in english... ::))
    -baklawa (baklava which i guess is greek but umm egyptians think its egyptian )
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -macarona pishamal (which is simillar to lasagna but better :) )
    -mahshee wara2 3eneb, (stuffed grape leaves) are good too

im really getting hungry now ;)
  • :D

Wow!Sounds like you guys really eat well!Do you guys have any special bread?Here in New Mexico we really like tortillas,either corn or flour.Fresh made are best,the ones you buy in the store arent very good!I'm getting hungry too...lol
  • Well Coptic Culture must be the best. Copts comes from the Arabic word "Kubt" which we have been first called when the arabs invaded and means Egyptian Orthodox Christians. We DO eat a lot and sometimes it goes to a point when it's not funny anymore....We are know to be VERY RELIGIOUS, and we are very strict. We also have the funniest sayings, e.g. typical father's saying: "Son, u be back by 7:00, u hear? u cant just come go, this is a house not a hotel...."

Mike
  • We also have the funniest sayings, e.g. typical father's saying: "Son, u be back by 7:00, u hear? u cant just come go, this is a house not a hotel...."

That is pretty funny!...lol... ;D :D ;)

we are very strict.

It's good to be strict if it keeps you pure before God!
  • lol, I know, I like my culture being strict. Hey, you should visit Egypt one day...

Mike
  • Wow it's so nice to see people besides oursleves interested about Coptic life! Well there's so much to know I don't even know where to start. We have so many traditions it's not even funny. The most thing I love about Coptics though, besides the food, is how close we are with each other. Like we all just love each other so much. I love the fact that I can go kiss my bestfriends on their cheeks without someone thinkin I like girls. We just love each other soo much! Everyone is there for each other every moment of the day. I also love our traditions. I love fasting! The feeling of fasting for fifty-five days and then rejoicing at the end with alll your friends and family eating everything possible. It's such a refreshing feeling. It's also nice to see youre friends happy when you are happy and with you trying to make you happy when your sad. That's one of my favorite things. "Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep." It's just so beautiful. Hey JFranklin why don't you tell us some stuff about your culture I love hearing about stuff like that! :D
  • lol, I know, I like my culture being strict. Hey, you should visit Egypt one day...

I actually passed through there once on my way to Nepal{we stopped there to refuel the airplane}.As we had to stay in the plane I never set foot on eygptian soil.I came close though,didnt I...lol...Maybe next time...

The most thing I love about Coptics though, besides the food, is how close we are with each other. Like we all just love each other so much.

What a blessing!To live in such a community as this is truly to have the favor of God on your life.The world is a harsh place;so to have many people who love and genuinely care for you is something money cant buy;it is the gift of God.It's the work of the Holy Spirit.

Hey JFranklin why don't you tell us some stuff about your culture I love hearing about stuff like that!

Well,since Im an American you probably know quite a bit about my culture already{many of you probably are Americans...lol}.But I'll tell you a little about the area I live in and some of our history and customs.First off I live in the state of New Mexico{yes it's in the United States...lol...You would be suprised how many Americans think New Mexico is part of the country"Mexico"...lol}.Our state is called "the land of enchantment" because we have such diverse and beautiful{in our opinion...lol}landscape;snow capped mountians,deserts,the great plains{grassland}etc....We have many different cultures living here;Indian{Native American},Spanish,Mexican,etc,and we have had a wild,wild history.Where I live the Apaches,Commanches,Kiowas and other Native American tribes use to roam freely{we still find many artifacts such as arrowheads}.The land once belonged to these mighty peoples especially the Commanches "the lords of the Southern Plains" who were considered the best horsemen in the world.I also only live a few miles where the famous outlaw Billy the Kid use to live, and where he was eventually killed.Part of my family are "Cowboys",my dad was the world champion calf roper 3 years back in the sixties.My brother,Shawn Franklin also is a professional rodeo cowboy{you might have have seen him on ESPN sports channel if you watch many sports}.I myself was more into football,basketball,and other such activities.They live the "cowboy" lifestyle while I am more "normal"...lol...Yes,many of my family{on my dads side}are ranchers and "cowboys";it's a lifestyle that's dying out;there are'nt many true cowboys left.It's a way of life that will never come again and in the end share the same fate as the American Indians;a fate destined to pass away into the history books and into legend!It kind of makes me sad...lol...
  • WOW, what an awesone family.

God Bless.

Mike
  • JFranklin:

I could not agree with Mike more - what a very interesting family you come from, and yes, New Mexico in the Land of Enchantment. Photographer's haven I hear!
  • WOW, what an awesone family.

God Bless.

Mike

I could not agree with Mike more

Thank you both very much! :) :) :)

God bless you.

• are not the copts the original gypos then the arabs came and took ova egypt? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

• Yeah something that EVERYONE should know is that the copts are the original descendents of ancient egyptians! the arabs aren't descendents, they just took over. Imagine how different life would be in egypt if the Brits were still there...
  • ::) ::) :D

Imagine how different life would be in egypt if the Brits were still there...

Or if the muslim arabs never came and invaded...lol...Eygpt and all of North Africa would now be all christian as they were in the past{or at least the majority}
  • [quote author=NotOfThisWorld link=board=1;threadid=717;start=0#msg13498 date=1098745617]
    The most thing I love about Coptics though, besides the food, is how close we are with each other. Like we all just love each other so much. I love the fact that I can go kiss my bestfriends on their cheeks without someone thinkin I like girls. We just love each other soo much! Everyone is there for each other every moment of the day.

i dont mean to be rude, but where do u live. im assuming ur a guy.
  • LostEgPrincess, she is actually a female living in new Jersey....

God Bless..

Mike
  • lol, no problemo...

;)

Mike
  • I HATE FOOL...YUK YUK YUK
    macarona beshamel and wara2 3enab is the maddest and boftik is even better....
    GBU ;)
  • ya i hate fool too......(yuk^infinity)
    some1 agrees with me finally!
    ya boftek is good too, ! :)
  • i ate boftik today :D...yum
    + + +
    Coptic Life is all about carrying the cross, and learning our ways to live.
    Often we are tempted to do many many sins, A typical christian or Coptic should be strong, and say NO to the devil, and doing the right thing, go in the right way, to enter the kingdom of Heaven.
    we r on Earth to be tested if we are faithful and strong enough, to be worthy to Enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
    Therefore A Typical Copt should humble themselves before God.

that the most beautiful thing i have ever wrote in my whole life :'( :D
    hehehehe
    GBU ;)