The answer to your problems

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,

We've been debatting about the future of our Church's hymns and the impact of changing Coptic/Arabic hymns to English hymns or English-translated coptic hymns.

I believe that our faith transcends or should transcend cultural/language barriers. We cannot keep on being stuck on language as a pre-requisite to actually understand and participate in Orthodox Worship.

I would like to post a link of a Coptic Orthodox Choir that have proven that our Coptic Orthodox hymns are amazing in English (if not even better than Coptic).

Please listen to this... PASTE THIS ON YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE, pass it around.

Its amazing.

Comments

• Listen to the Alleluia at the end.. the 2nd Allelulia ... its PERFECT.

Its really the best version i've ever heard.

If you love your Coptic Church, if you love your Coptic hymns and u want to let people know about it... please post this link to your FB pages.

Thanks
  • I still love Coptic (and English, and Arabic) and don't think it needs to be done away with completely to appeal to converts, but anyway this is beautiful and thank you for sharing! If I used Facebook I would definitely share this! I usually direct people to the Midnight Praises recording made by the monks of St. Antony in California (since it is my favorite recording of Coptic chant in English), but I like the style of this one too. Thank you, Zoxsasi.
  • [quote author=dzheremi link=topic=11239.msg135759#msg135759 date=1302465589]
    I still love Coptic (and English, and Arabic) and don't think it needs to be done away with completely to appeal to converts, but anyway this is beautiful and thank you for sharing! If I used Facebook I would definitely share this! I usually direct people to the Midnight Praises recording made by the monks of St. Antony in California (since it is my favorite recording of Coptic chant in English), but I like the style of this one too. Thank you, Zoxsasi.

I used to turn this song off after the 3rd blessed whenever i had it on tape, and it was in Greek. (Actually, its a Greek hymn, not Coptic) - but the way they have done the 1st and 2nd Alleluia is just perfect. Its a pleasure to hear.

READ THE comments! Protestants are asking for the CD!
  • Guys, we are NOT stuck on ANY language. We do not need to re-invent hymns for our own mother tongues. No!

We can keep our Coptic hymns - all we need is ONE thing:

a BRILLIANT CHOIR!! That's it.
  • Singing in the Coptic Orthodox Church is SERIOUS business. There's even a rank for it. That's all we need. We need people talented in singing and able to produce brilliant Oriental Orthodox hymns in ANY language.

• Haha. Yes, I noticed the Protestant asking for the CD. I think that's a great thing. Maybe after that they will ask "Where can I find a Coptic church to visit"!

While searching for hymns in other languages that use the Coptic melodies doesn't bring anything up (there are lots of hymns that are in other styles), there are other things. I am definitely biased, but to me things like this are just incredible...I am at a loss for words:

Coptic Orthodox Church of Bolivia: Prayers in Spanish at the Cathedral of St. Mary and St. Mark

"O Lord, our Lord, how wonderful Your name became in all the earth!" :)
  • i like Coptic better!! Coptic is such a beautiful, musical language, its amazing!! nothing beats Coptic!! lol
    to be quite honest i hate it hate it hate it when Coptic Hymns are sung in English! it just kills it for me. you may call me a Coptic fanatic... but i dont mind really  ;D

anyway thanks for sharing!
  • Zoxasi, I don't mind doing the little hymns in English but the big hymns like Meghalo, Tai Shori(believe it or not) and things of the like should be done in coptic.
  • As I have indicated before, ethnic Copts, whether they are born in Egypt or abroad, should preserve their heritage. Converts should be accommodated through having parishes that tend to their culture within the Coptic rite.

As converts have their language and culture they are proud of, so too Copts should be proud of their own heritage that their fathers had gave up their lives to hand down to their children.

Thanks.
  • Generally I prefer the Coptic/Arabic version of hymns like this.

But Zoxsasi, this sounds AMAZING.

How can I get the audio out of this so I can put it on my mp3 player?
  • edit: not appropriate site.
  • I found the cd on amazon. You can download download the individual tracks for a buck each.

So worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Ill-Live/dp/B001P3QCK8
  • I guess my site would be cheating then, huh?
  • People on tasbeha are always making me feel guilty for my actions :P

I'll remove it.
  • Ah I was only kidding! You didn't have to do that  :-\