Orthodox Consensus of the USA

edited March 2011 in Random Issues
The hartford institute have released their consensus on Orthodox Christianity in the USA. (VERY INTERESTING READ by the way!)

http://www.hartfordinstitute.org/research/2010-USOrthodox-Census.pdf

Apparently, we are only 92,000 Copts going to Church, and 45,000 go regularly??? Is that right? I thought there was around 2 million copts living in the USA?

What do you all think of this news?

Orthodox Churches in the USA are growing a lot.

Comments

• Some churches are seeing growth. All orthodox have over represented their numbers. This is why orthodox must become missionaries in our own western countries.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=11063.msg133626#msg133626 date=1300820324]
    Some churches are seeing growth. All orthodox have over represented their numbers. This is why orthodox must become missionaries in our own western countries.

How do you mean "over-represented"? I see that we are under-representing. I doubt there are just 92,000 Copts living in the USA.
  • I am surprised that we are the second largest church after the greek church. concerning the number of those who go to church regularly, i am not surprised. there are MANY copts we don't know much about. they are just separated.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11063.msg133629#msg133629 date=1300820716]
    I am surprised that we are the second largest church after the greek church. concerning the number of those who go to church regularly, i am not surprised. there are MANY copts we don't know much about. they are just separated.

Mina,

does 92,000 Copts in the USA seem about right to you? I honestly thought you'd be much more than that.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=11063.msg133630#msg133630 date=1300820818]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11063.msg133629#msg133629 date=1300820716]
    I am surprised that we are the second largest church after the greek church. concerning the number of those who go to church regularly, i am not surprised. there are MANY copts we don't know much about. they are just separated.

Mina,

does 92,000 Copts in the USA seem about right to you? I honestly thought you'd be much more than that.

hmmm....well i expect more. but not as much as "2 million"........and like i said, there are many that are simply not counted. on page 3, they state:
    Does US Orthodox Census tell us about all Orthodox Christians living in the United States?
    The answer to this question is “No.” The 2010 US Orthodox Census provided information only on persons
    who are – at least marginally – involved in the Church life and, therefore, are known to the local Orthodox
    parishes. Similarly to many other Christian denominations in America, there can be significant number of
    persons who were once baptized in the Orthodox Church and who still consider themselves as being
    Orthodox Christians, but who do not participate and attend at all. In other words, the 2010 US Orthodox
    Census was Census of members of US Orthodox Christian Churches rather than Census of the entire
    Orthodox Christian population in America.

i have to say that this is a great assumption.
  • Just because someone is a copt doesn't mean they are orthodox. In the same way the Greeks have claimed many millions but only a small minority actually practice their faith. In Russia only 3% of those counted as orthodox actually participate in the life of the church.
  • There are 92K just in Jersey City.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=11063.msg133639#msg133639 date=1300822948]
    There are 92K just in Jersey City.

hahaha.....how did you know that.. :)
  • I told you, I used to be from Jersey City [aka, Shoubra in the USA].
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=11063.msg133644#msg133644 date=1300824201]
    I told you, I used to be from Jersey City [aka, Shoubra in the USA].

hehe.....yeah. i never went to shubra in egypt so when i came to the states, i lived in it.
  • Shoubra is the most glorious place in all of Egypt.  It is the nucleus for the revival of the Coptic Church in the 20th ceentury leading into th 21st century.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I can't tell if ILSM is joking or not. I'd believe him if he said he knew the number of Copts in America (or Jersey City alone), but I think 92K was a joke.. maybe.
  • Apparently, there are 50,000 Coptic Christians in France (according to abouna there).
    So, I doubt there's only 92K in the USA.
  • The number in the USA is far in excess of the amount stated 92K.  However, there is no easy or legitimate way of ascertaining the full amount.

If you take the total number of full churches, mission churches, Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, the number cannot be as little as 92K.  I have a reasonable number in mind that I have conservatively estimated in my own mind, but I would not venture to expound for fear of being quoted with any relevance.

Jokingly, if you add the ego for each Egyptian, you would get a number in excess of the entire population of the USA of 300mb.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.