Hymns for ordination of a new priest

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hi everyone,

Next Saturday, we will have a new priest ordained for our church. I've never attended a priest ordination before. I am the leading deacon at our church, so I'd like to get ideas from everyone of what hymns need to be said. I think it will be a little bit tricky because it will be the Feast of the Cross. The more detail you give me, the better, please.

Comments

• [quote author=mechaiel link=topic=10963.msg132793#msg132793 date=1299937617]
    Hi everyone,

Next Saturday, we will have a new priest ordained for our church. I've never attended a priest ordination before. I am the leading deacon at our church, so I'd like to get ideas from everyone of what hymns need to be said. I think it will be a little bit tricky because it will be the Feast of the Cross. The more detail you give me, the better, please.

there is nothing special hymn-wise. you'll end saying an "axios" for the priest in khen efran.
  • What are you talking about Mina? There is a special vesper service that is found in the Powerpoint presentation.

Additional hymns include the Verse of Cymbals for the 24 priests, the doxology of the 24 priest, Niethnos tiro in the procession. Also Piepnevma is said too. That's what I recall from memory.
    George
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=10963.msg132820#msg132820 date=1299988183]
    What are you talking about Mina? There is a special vesper service that is found in the Powerpoint presentation.

Additional hymns include the Verse of Cymbals for the 24 priests, the doxology of the 24 priest, Niethnos tiro in the procession. Also Piepnevma is said too. That's what I recall from memory.
    George

that's for the welcoming ceremony but not the ordination itself. i have a book and a presentation for it (For Fr. Daniel Abdelmaseih's when he was ordained a couple of years ago). I didn't wanna bring this up to not confuse people.
  • Thanks, everyone.

Here is what I think will happen:

The Ordination Prayers will start after the Prayer of Reconciliation, and just before the deacon says, "Geet one another..."

I assume that once the ordination is finished we would say:
    "Axios (3), penyot (...) pi epresviteros."

Now, on a side-topic:

If there are two bishops attending, is it necessary to mention both of their names in the hymns or is it acceptable to say: "..Pope Shenouda and the bishops attending with us.."? (nenyoti en episkopos ni etki neman)
  • I thought that the pope had to do priest ordinations. Is he comming to your church to do it?
  • Bishops ordain priests. The Pope is essentially one bishop among many others in the Holy Synod, of course he is the president of the Synod, and the Bishop of Alexandria, which gives him a seniority. But he may not ordain priests in another bishops see. He is not in the same position as the Pope of Rome. He ordains priest for some places in the West both in partnership with the local diocesan bishop whose jurisdiction it properly is, and because in some areas he IS the diocesan bishop, because the local congregations are presently under his care.
  • [quote author=epiphania link=topic=10963.msg132827#msg132827 date=1300030405]
    I thought that the pope had to do priest ordinations. Is he comming to your church to do it?

Most churches in the US (all of Anba David's churches which are most the Northern US) are part of the Archdiocese so usually HH ordains them. Churches in the Southern US and California are ordained by Anba Serapion (California) or Anba Yousef (Southern US)
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10963.msg132822#msg132822 date=1299992057]
    [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=10963.msg132820#msg132820 date=1299988183]
    What are you talking about Mina? There is a special vesper service that is found in the Powerpoint presentation.

George

that's for the welcoming ceremony but not the ordination itself. i have a book and a presentation for it (For Fr. Daniel Abdelmaseih's when he was ordained a couple of years ago). I didn't wanna bring this up to not confuse people.

My mistake. That is why Mina is pidiakwnon enernishti encabe and I am piatcabe enatemi.

If you want to know what that means, look up Epchois nai nan's lessons.
  • oh come on....don't say that.