Creamer use during lent

A lot of people in my chruch consider the use of non dairy creamer okay to be used during lent. But all creamers contain a milk derivative called sodium caseinate. I was wondering what your opinions are about this? I am a college student and I really need coffee because it helps me stay up late and study but I find it really hard to swallow coffee without creamer. Do you consider the use of creamer okay during lent?

I know lent is not just about food but I was wondering about the use of creamer during lent and would like to hear people's opinion. Thanks

Comments

• sorry, i just realized that i posted it in the wrong category
  • I don't drink coffee, but everyone I know, including abouna, uses creamer during the fast.

I really don't think it's a big deal. If we become THAT picky with food, then we can even say some bread and pasta are not fasting  ;)

Just don't compromise with yourself and substitute it with milk.
  • Fasting isn't just about us substituting the foods we normally eat with "fasting" variants e.g. milk for soya milk or whatever. It's supposed to be deeper than that, an opportunity for us to discipline our bodies in order to elevate our spirits towards God. If we're at the point of arguing over whether a certain food substitute is suitable, then we are missing the point.
  • You mean coffeemate?

Is that non siamee???

Darn!! Its gonna be a long, hard, arduous lent this year. Isn't it??!

When does lent start peeps?
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=10758.msg131106#msg131106 date=1298109042]
    When does lent start peeps?

A week Monday.
  • [quote author=JG link=topic=10758.msg131104#msg131104 date=1298107556]
    Fasting isn't just about us substituting the foods we normally eat with "fasting" variants e.g. milk for soya milk or whatever. It's supposed to be deeper than that, an opportunity for us to discipline our bodies in order to elevate our spirits towards God. If we're at the point of arguing over whether a certain food substitute is suitable, then we are missing the point.

Thank you JG for saving me being rude again. you put it really gently. well done!
  • Nevertheless the foods we eat DO matter as well since our aim is to reduce and even eliminate all animal products during this period when we are seeking to allow our spirit to dominate and rule our bodies. The fasting rules are there for a reason, not just to make things difficult but for our salvation. An obsession with food at this time is not healthy, but nor is a laziness about the fast.

As ever we must seek to be firm with ourselves without being obsessive.

May the Lord grant me the grace to at least begin to fast as I should.
  • yes, don't obsess over the details, but also don't fill your fast with dairy substitutes so that you are not really giving anything up.
    also try a more balanced llfe with the right amount of study, prayer and sleep and plan your study well so you don't do it all at the last minute. limit the time you spend on the internet or staying up late chatting with friends around exam times, then you can enjoy these activities for a few days after the exam, and cut down on them again as you prepare for the next exam.
    we all need sleep. also too much coffee gives you palpitations and terrible abdominal pain (as i found out in my first year of study!)