Fasting after midnight

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I know its Noah's fast right now, but i've been wondering, and this is a common problem i have.
When i'm staying up late studying, and the time passes midnight, and a "fast" is technically over, is it okay to eat non-fasting food?

For example, I'm up at night on a Wednesday, and then the time changes to 12:01am on Thursday. Is it okay for me to go downstairs to grab a glass of milk? or should i wait until the next day starts (like i fall asleep and wake up again). That's an extreme case, but what about 1:30am or so?

Comments

• It's funny you ask because I was thinking the same thing just now. Also, it is Jonah's fast!
  • oh derp! that's what i meant  8)
  • [quote author=bmw335i link=topic=10749.msg130901#msg130901 date=1297929236]
    I know its Noah's fast right now, but i've been wondering, and this is a common problem i have.
    When i'm staying up late studying, and the time passes midnight, and a "fast" is technically over, is it okay to eat non-fasting food?

For example, I'm up at night on a Wednesday, and then the time changes to 12:01am on Thursday. Is it okay for me to go downstairs to grab a glass of milk? or should i wait until the next day starts (like i fall asleep and wake up again). That's an extreme case, but what about 1:30am or so?

I think it was ok to drink milk, or fatari food then. It's already feast,
    happy feast GB!
  • I guess it would be okay, if you kept the same rule in the opposite direction, e.g., midnight between a tues/wed or thurs/fri.
  • What if your watch says 12:01, but it's actually 11:59? Lol, I don't think we should think that way. A fast isn't over until you sleep and wake up next day. That's what I have been taught.
  • It ain't over til the fat lady sings lol

What about starting to fast after 12:00am or in the morning when you wake up?

Usually when we start a fast I usually start when I wake up the next morning... but when I break it, it's usually after 12 :)

Dowatchalike

Cheers
  • [quote author=*Bride of Jesus* link=topic=10749.msg130913#msg130913 date=1297939252]
    [quote author=bmw335i link=topic=10749.msg130901#msg130901 date=1297929236]

I think it was ok to drink milk, or fatari food then. It's already feast,
    happy feast GB!

the day ends with us sleeping......12:01 12:10 you still live in the same mental span of the same day. a priest taught me that once and thinks we just take advantage. if fasting is that hard for us that we wait for a minute after 12 to break it, it's not worth it than.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10749.msg130958#msg130958 date=1297963587]
    the day ends with us sleeping......12:01 12:10 you still live in the same mental span of the same day. a priest taught me that once and thinks we just take advantage. if fasting is that hard for us that we wait for a minute after 12 to break it, it's not worth it than.

Totally agree with this.

"True fasting lies is rejecting evil, holding one's tongue, suppressing one's hatred, and banishing one's lust, evil words, lying, and betrayal of vows." - St. Basil the Great
  • If that's the case, then I have to admit, I go to bed early at around 6 or 7, so I can wake up around 1 am to eat and study. I find it easier to study  at that time. Is that okay?
  • [quote author=JG link=topic=10749.msg130963#msg130963 date=1297964153]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10749.msg130958#msg130958 date=1297963587]

Totally agree with this.

"True fasting lies is rejecting evil, holding one's tongue, suppressing one's hatred, and banishing one's lust, evil words, lying, and betrayal of vows." - St. Basil the Great

I agree.
    But I have a question!
    Especially after the Christmas Liturgy in the evening and also the resurrection, people always go to home then at about 13:00/13:30 and then they start eating fatari food, to celebrating it's already feast. We also do this. Is that wrong?
  • [quote author=*Bride of Jesus* link=topic=10749.msg130970#msg130970 date=1297966467]
    [quote author=JG link=topic=10749.msg130963#msg130963 date=1297964153]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10749.msg130958#msg130958 date=1297963587]

Totally agree with this.

I agree.
    But I have a question!
    Especially after the Christmas Liturgy in the evening and also the resurrection, people always go to home then at about 13:00/13:30 and then they start eating fatari food, to celebrating it's already feast. We also do this. Is that wrong?

no. in this case, the general fast, like Lent for example is broken by the liturgy. for the 9 hours fast (abstaining from food), that is for communion and is broken by it.
  • For me, I just try to make sure that it is not less than 24 hours fasting regardless of when I sleep or when I wake up. So I started fasting at 12 am, then I will eat fitari at 12:01 am next day but If I start fasting at 2 am, I have to stay till 2 am next day.
  • what's important is your relationship with God, not the minutes fasting.
    but i do look at the clock when i am working nights, as i spend a lot of the night awake (and eating!)