SNOWWWWW!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I shoveled a lot of peoples snow for money these past 2 days... They payed me to do it though...

Does this count as a "good deed?" I was really trying to help some old people and people with bad backs. That was my intention.

Comments

• Y did u accept the money? This is a good action but I don't know if it is a good deed because u accepted money so that was ur motivation.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=10568.msg128652#msg128652 date=1296193560]
    Y did u accept the money? This is a good action but I don't know if it is a good deed because u accepted money so that was ur motivation.

I suppose that it is ok because he ended up helping those people out whether he was paid or not.  Besides, didn't Christ say that "the laborer earns his wages"?  For me, as a principle, if it's a service for church, I definitely would not want to get paid.  But if it's for someone else, if it's something simple or they are unable to pay anything, then I don't want payment but some things require plenty of time and effort and I think some things it's ok to get paid for...just my opinion.
  • You can donate a portion or all of the money.

There are so many variables.  Only you know your heart.  Only God can judge your heart.
  • Yeah my mom told me to donate the 10 percent. I went to shovel one guys plot and i was thinking to myself "dont accept the money this time, dont accept the money this time." Then the guy came out, gave me a thumbs up and said. "i dont have any money on my right now (he was snowed in obviously) so ill pay you tomorrow. I said "no its ok you dont have too" but he insisted and said ill pay you tomorrow...
  • You're not being Egyptian enough. I assume your conversation went something like this:

Guy: "I don't have any money on me right now, I will pay you tomorrow"

You: "You sure? Nah, it's ok, you don't have to"

Guy: "No really I will pay you tomorrow"

You: "Ok, thanks! See ya tomorrow"

When it should have went like this:

You: "No, don't worry about it"

Guy: "No, really I will pay you tomorrow"

You: "I won't accept it"

Guy: "You deserve it. I'm paying you tomorrow"

You: "No you're not"

Guy: "Yes, I am"

You: "I will sue you"

Guy: "Sue me"

You: "I will.. I just said that"

Guy: "It's no big deal, really. I will pay you and you will take it"

You pull out a gun and shoot him.

That's how we roll.

This is a major issue (I'm thinking about starting a serious thread) that youth aren't being Egyptian enough. A lot of the older Egyptians are getting offended by our lack of "convincingship". For example, when a young lad offers to help an old teta down the stairs, she might really need and want the help, but has to say no because that's rule #1 on being Egyptian. However, she expects the young lad to offer again and again, so she can abide by rule #2: accepting the offer, but acting very sad and humbled. When the young lad doesn't offer after the first "no", the teta will get offended and probably start nasty rumors about his teta.

This is serious.
  • Dude, its a good deed, old people make you take the money regardless.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=10568.msg128691#msg128691 date=1296223659]
    Dude, its a good deed, old people make you take the money regardless.

I know!!! its almost like they dont wanna be indebted to you with a favor so they just pay you.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10568.msg128690#msg128690 date=1296223160]
    You're not being Egyptian enough. I assume your conversation went something like this:

You: "You sure? Nah, it's ok, you don't have to"

Guy: "No really I will pay you tomorrow"

You: "Ok, thanks! See ya tomorrow"

When it should have went like this:

You: "No, don't worry about it"

Guy: "No, really I will pay you tomorrow"

You: "I won't accept it"

Guy: "You deserve it. I'm paying you tomorrow"

You: "No you're not"

Guy: "Yes, I am"

You: "I will sue you"

Guy: "Sue me"

You: "I will.. I just said that"

Guy: "It's no big deal, really. I will pay you and you will take it"

You pull out a gun and shoot him.

That's how we roll.

This is a major issue (I'm thinking about starting a serious thread) that youth aren't being Egyptian enough. A lot of the older Egyptians are getting offended by our lack of "convincingship". For example, when a young lad offers to help an old teta down the stairs, she might really need and want the help, but has to say no because that's rule #1 on being Egyptian. However, she expects the young lad to offer again and again, so she can abide by rule #2: accepting the offer, but acting very sad and humbled. When the young lad doesn't offer after the first "no", the teta will get offended and probably start nasty rumors about his teta.

This is serious.

Wahahahahaha, this is EXACTLY how egyptians are...
    I know where u are talking about, but sometimes you are being a bit shy to ask again and again..
    but you are right: be an egyptian!
  • Its hard to be an egyptian when the guy is flaunting 50 bucks in your face.
  • Honestly nobody can tell you if it is a good deed because you only know your heart (and God obviously), but instead of going and telling them you are going to shovel snow off their property you can go do it without telling them. Just don't jump into their backyard and secretly shovel snow, you might be arrested, lol.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=10568.msg128736#msg128736 date=1296245050]
    Honestly nobody can tell you if it is a good deed because you only know your heart (and God obviously), but instead of going and telling them you are going to shovel snow off their property you can go do it without telling them. Just don't jump into their backyard and secretly shovel snow, you might be arrested, lol.

I went cuz the guy had a bad back and i was hoping he wont see me cuz i knew if he did he would pay me. I was almost finished and he came out...
  • There is nothing wrong with earning money through honest labour.

And I think that the fact that you did not particularly want to be paid, but were rewarded in any case, indicates that you meant it as a charitable deed and God rewarded you for your intent.

Father Peter