Why do we eat this in Epiphany?

Hi all,
So I've been going to every grocery store around my area and at this time, I see oolaas. And everybody tells me they eat it for Epiphany. However, i do not know why its a big tradition, can anybody help me?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I know right, but i do not know what's its english word.  ???
  • Ol-as gets cooked by being soaked and boiled in water.
    Asp that is sugar cane is planted into a lot of water.
    Both remind us of baptism.
  • Oh thanks, but do you know what's the english term for it?
  • I think of olas as green potatoes.

Before cooking the olas, one would have to peel off the dark brown outer layer, resulting in a white vegitable (purity). After peeling the olas, one would clean it really really well under water (baptism), then cook it. Some cooks finish off by dunking the olas in tomato sauce (myron).

Warning: this information was not passed down to me. I made it up using my mother's recipe and common sense.
  • Thank you TITL, i totally get it now!
  • We eat our Kolkas with green sauteed kusbara (green coriander leaves).  We don't use tomato sauce.
    The reason we eat Kolkas is so that we wake up with our Ra's (head, calvarium, skull).
  • TITL,

I think that was a bit of stretch with the tomato sauce equating with the myron.
  • in english it is called, "Taro-root"
  • What's a Taro?  What does the actual plant look like?  Does it look like a turnip plant?
  • Kolkas is grown underground. It is slightly poisonous before it's cooked and then becomes purified when it's boiled. It's also white from the inside. This relates a lot to baptism if you connect the dots.
  • That's the ticket, Kirolies.  Thank you.
  • To be honest with you ilovesaintmark, I also felt like I was pushing it with the Myron. I was hoping no one would notice.
    Thank you for noticing. Next time, just nod and smile.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10496.msg127463#msg127463 date=1295493092]
    We eat our Kolkas with green sauteed kusbara (green coriander leaves).  We don't use tomato sauce.
    The reason we eat Kolkas is so that we wake up with our Ra's (head, calvarium, skull).

hahahaha!
    As a child I grew up thinking "am I really going to wake up without my head??" and I would actually lose sleep over it! I dont like olas and my parents have always tried to make me eat it by telling me that. For my own safety I used to eat one piece to guarantee the existence of my head in the morning lol... oh how I miss my innocent, simple years...
  • I think you need a bit more garlic in the sautee.  It makes it better.  There's also the difference of aldente and mushy.  I like it both ways.

I don't know how I am able to type because I did not have kolkas.  I was away from my family and I am like the Headless Horseman.  I haven't been able to get anything done in the last two days.

• [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10496.msg127602#msg127602 date=1295552995]
    I think you need a bit more garlic in the sautee.  It makes it better.  There's also the difference of aldente and mushy.  I like it both ways.

I don't know how I am able to type because I did not have kolkas.  I was away from my family and I am like the Headless Horseman.  I haven't been able to get anything done in the last two days.

hahaha me too!!  :D
    My mom does put garlic and it tastes good,  I only eat the sauce. It tastes a lot like molokheya.
    I just dont like how the olas is mushy.
  • Honestly, I never liked it, but I ate it out of tradition until this year. I actually ate some yesterday,
    and liked it. I thankfully DID wake up with my head.
    I think i'll have some now.
    Anyways, here is a video, about 2min that explains exactly the religious point of view for eating this.
    I highly think that pope Shenouda approved it. It is arabic, but even I understand it. (I don't know arabic)
    Either way, here it goes http://www.christian-dogma.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68736.
    Cyril
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I KNOW, RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
  • Was anyone able to detect the genders of the two vegetable beings?  Was one male and the other a female?
  • The one with the retarded voice is male (Asab) and the pretty, nice Olas is female. A two-year old could figure it out.