The best of Coptic Liturgy

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hello everyone,

Happy fast of the advent.  I wanted to share a recording that I created almost 10 years ago, while I was first digitizing my cassette collection to create the asaph multimedia section of St. Mina's website.

Like most of you, I love the Coptic Church with all of its hymns and liturgies.  But I also have my 'favorites'.  There are priests, deacons and choruses who chant certain segments of the liturgy so well, it hits a soft spot in your soul.  My friend and I had been talking about creating a 'mix tape' of the best hymns.  Instead we created an entire liturgy that consisted of all the best parts that we both enjoyed.

I recently shared this liturgy which my co-developer of 'icoptic', Michael Hanna.  He absolutely loved it, and I thought I would share it with the rest of the world.  You can find the download link below.  Enjoy and feel free to share it with your family, friends, and whoever else loves the coptic liturgy.  Your feedback is always appreciated.

- Isaac Tawfik

http://copticlibrary.net/the-best-of-coptic-liturgy.htm

Comments

• Dear Isaacht,
    Just a quick question. Is that liturgy in Coptic? Or Arabic as well?
  • MAN THATS ABOUNA YASSA RISKK!!!! (well at least the first priest) This is one of the old priests, but he has a godly voice. His voice is soo similar to the late H.G. Bishop Daniel of Khartoum (who is by the way a SAINTT).

If anyone want the full mass for Fr. Yassa Risk, tell me. I have his gregorian and basil liturgies.

PPFM
  • The Liturgy is in both arabic and coptic.

Abouna Yassa Rizk had an AMAZING voice.  If you listen closely to Abouna Saweiros Marcos's St. Basil Liturgy, Abouna Yassa & Moalem Ibrahim are the Moalemeen leading the chorus.  You can really tell during the responses to the fraction where they chant individually.  Some of these old liturgies are TREASURES!!!
  • Very cool, glad to see you around here Isaac :)

Would it be too much trouble to ask for a list of the priests on the mix ? Or maybe we could just leave as a competition for tasbeha.org members to figure out...
  • One of my personal favourite is Fr Boula Melek (Any of his masses are beautiful), he has an ANGELIC voice!!
    also the late Fr Estefanos Rezk & Fr. Barsoum Shaker.
  • I was digging through some old stuff, and i found some GOLD files! Does anyone know a good way of sharing these audio files apart from megaupload.com, how can i post stuff on tasbeha.org
    Also does anyone know if Higher Institute Of Coptic Studies (HICS) have a copyright on their work, because i know that the only way to get their recordings from the net is through buying it. But i some how got it, so would it be illegal to share it?

Some of the classic stuff i found:
    - Liturgy of St. Cyril in Coptic (Completely Coptic!!)
    - The Divine Liturgy Of St. Basil (by various priests singing different parts, the only priest i could recognise was Fr. Yassa    Risk)
    - The Holy Pascha, the Holy Psalmody and vesper praises (all by HICS)
    - Other recordings by HCOC
    - Asheia and tamgeed (Farik Al- Shahid  Abu- Fam)
    - Agpia Praises (Farik Al- Shahid  Abu- Fam)
    - Fr Boula Melek lituries (St Basil, St Cyril & St Gregory)
    - St. Mary Praises (Boulos Malak)
    - Midnight Praises
    - Anba Youannis- The Divine Liturgy of St Cyril
    - Kiahk Tasbeha (Anba Youannis!!!) 
    - Fractions (Range of Fractions, by a range of Priests and Bishops)
    - Lent Theotokia (Nader Kamal and Ramsees)
    - Monday Tasbeha & Tamgeed for St. Mary (Nader Kamal and Bolous Malak)
    - Mo3alem Ibrahim Ayad (Practically any hymn, melody & chant ever know to the church. Name anything & am 90% sure i will have it for Mo3alem Ibrahim Ayad)
    - Antoun Ayad (some great coptic melodies and chants for St MARY)
    - Other masses

• Mike, its good to hear from you.  You guys have done such a great job with tasbeha.org.  It is in my opinion the best coptic resource on the internet today.  God bless all your efforts.

Some of the priests that are included, just off the top of my head are:

- Fr. Yassa Rizk
    - Fr. Boutros El-Gabalawi
    - Fr. Saweiros Marcos
    - Fr. Abdel-Messih Marcos
    - Fr. Youssef Asaad
    - Fr. Shenouda Tawfik
    - Fr. Pishoy Dimitri
    - Fr. Boula Melek
    - Fr. Isaac Awad
    - HACS

The Moalemeen include:
    - Moalem Ibrahim
    - The Chorus
    - Fr. Yassa Rizk

I have such rare recordings of Fr. Abdel-Messih from the 1970s.  My father was ordained a deacon in Luxor in the church of Fr. Marcos Marcos (Fr. Abdel-Messih's father) and my family had a strong relationship with Fr. Abdel-Messih.  We have almost everything that he recorded.  I was even lucky enough to get an autographed cassette tape from Fr. Abdel-Messih as a kid.  I hope one day to share all these recordings with everyone.

Isaac
  • Don't remind me of Michael Hanna and the other developer, I have been trying to contact you guys and you just ignore me, it's getting ridiculous. I loved the first version of 'icoptic', but the new version that i have now is horrible!

It's slower and more laggy than the first one and the new GUI isn't nearly as good as the first one. It's bad on so many levels, I am sorry for my harshness but in all honesty, it isn't worth the 10 dollars that i paid. Please put it back to the first version or just make two different downloads in the app store, the first version and the last version.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=10221.msg125094#msg125094 date=1292968665]
    Don't remind me of Michael Hanna and the other developer, I have been trying to contact you guys and you just ignore me, it's getting ridiculous. I loved the first version of 'icoptic', but the new version that i have now is horrible!

It's slower and more laggy than the first one and the new GUI isn't nearly as good as the first one. It's bad on so many levels, I am sorry for my harshness but in all honesty, it isn't worth the 10 dollars that i paid. Please put it back to the first version or just make two different downloads in the app store, the first version and the last version.

Mike,

I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the new version of iCoptic.  We spent countless hours trying to improve on the first version, and addressing some of the concerns that we heard from users including the speed issue.

The first version used flat files for data access which made the app take long to load, which we addressed with sqlite support.  We have tested the app on our own devices and seems very responsive.  So I'm surprised to hear you are having problems with speed.

We realize that we are far from having a perfect app, and Mike & I continue to try to make improvements to it.  It's hard right now though with our schedule to push out frequent updates to satisfy ourselves and our users.

Finally don't worry about being harsh.  We can take the criticism so long as it is constructive.  If you want to talk more about this, maybe you can PM me and I'll give you my cell phone number and we can chat.

Isaac
  • [quote author=isaacht link=topic=10221.msg125091#msg125091 date=1292959635]

I have such rare recordings of Fr. Abdel-Messih from the 1970s.  My father was ordained a deacon in Luxor in the church of Fr. Marcos Marcos (Fr. Abdel-Messih's father) and my family had a strong relationship with Fr. Abdel-Messih.  We have almost everything that he recorded.  I was even lucky enough to get an autographed cassette tape from Fr. Abdel-Messih as a kid.  I hope one day to share all these recordings with everyone.

Isaac

Thanks for the very kind comments although there's so much room to grow.

I'd love to hear these recordings and put them on Tasbeha.org. Let me know if you need help digitizing / cleaning up. We have a few talent people that can help.
  • [quote author=mikesl link=topic=10221.msg125117#msg125117 date=1292991354]
    [quote author=isaacht link=topic=10221.msg125091#msg125091 date=1292959635]

Isaac

Thanks for the very kind comments although there's so much room to grow.

I'd love to hear these recordings and put them on Tasbeha.org. Let me know if you need help digitizing / cleaning up. We have a few talent people that can help.

Abouna Abdel-Masseh el-oxory?
  • Sounds like him Mina... would be great to have those recordings on tasbeha.org
  • I'm very interested in recordings of Abouna Yassa Rizk please count me in.
    (other recordings as well, but may be start by Abouna Yassa Rizk's) TIA

GBU
  • The liturgy is fantastic really, awesome, thanks heaps
  • Any recommendations for priests, excerpts that I should include in a future release?  The names that come to mind are:

- HG Bishop Bejamin (1963 Liturgy) --> Low quality recording, SUPERHIGH spirituality
    - Fr. Abdel Messih Marcos --> Rare recordings of 1970s Liturgies
    - Fr. Mikhail Aziz
    - Fr. Dawood Bebawy
    - Fr. Antonius Tanious
    - Fr. Barsoum Shaker
    - Fr. Moussa Ibrahim
    - Fr. Boulos Eweida
    - Fr. Mina Tamer

I would appreciate any suggestions/references.
  • Abouna Antonious Tanios.....mmmmmmmm i like
  • Fr. Boula Melek... really nice
  • Isaac, Abouna Shenouda Halim's son? lol

I love this tasbeha reunion thing :)
  • Love it thanks.
  • Guys,
    I downloaded the mass & it's absolutely fantastic, I absolutely love it,
    does anyone know the name of the priest that prays the part of "Axion Ke Zee Ke Own"?
    & if you know his name, do you know where I can download liturgies for him? he has an awesome fantastic voice
    thanks
  • Anyone please????
  • Anyone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Which mass is this?
  • The mass at the very beginning of the post. Here is the link for it:

http://copticlibrary.net/the-best-of-coptic-liturgy.htm

thanks
  • Thanks!!!

If you plan on modifying this or expanding it, please include Fr. Gabriel Abdelsayed (first Coptic priest in the USA). One of the best voices in the history of our church in my opinion. His liturgy for Great Lent is on this website.
  • Awesome Liturgy. I love it. I think you should definitely add:

HG Bishop Rofail
    HG Bishop Abakeer
    Father Bishoy Demetrious
    Father Mikhail Tobia
    Father Kyrillos Said (I LOVE HIS COMMEMORATION AND FRACTIONS!!!)
    Father Antonious Tanious
  • Hey Isaac, when are you gonna post your recordings on here? You have an amazing voice
  • CopticChurchForever,

You are beyond right in your appraisal of the beloved, and reposed, Very Rev. Fr. and Dr. Gabriel Abdelsayed.  His nickname was the "Angel Gabriel"; because of his voice, his soul, and fatherhood.
  • Yeah, I would love to see more downloads like this one, maybe one in English?
  • So now one knows the name of the priest praying Axion Ke Ze Keon in this mass? Surely some knows........... :(