Summer Holidays

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
HI all. I was just wondering if any of you had any ideas of what a person like me (notice I am on in mid High school) can do in the Summer Holidays that will not neccessarily kill my eyes and turn my brain to gloop (like playing on the computer all day or on the DS or anything like that). Something that my parents would let me do (so don't say anything like going on holidays with a friend somewhere or anything that protective parents wont let me do) so like doing a jigsaw puzzle or something like that. Something that is fun and interesting. Is there anything to do for the Xmas season such as making gingerbread houses or something like that. Maybe something that will get me a bit closer to God and such. I will accept anything you send my way, I don't mind what you give me. Thanks

Comments

• What gets me really occupied is reading. When summer comes, I go to the library and get many books that I can to read. You can make arts and crafts that you get online, you can learn a new language (french, spanish, indian, german, dutch....). You can study :z but I don't know who would do that when your on a break, unless of course, you have SATs and stuff. You can take your camera and take pictures of God's work(nature). SO MANY POSSIBILITES!

But why spend time by yourself when you are lucky enough to have two parents (I think) that God gave you? During the summer you can spend a wonderful time together. Mabey your Mom can teach you cooking or sewing or whatever you don't know. And your dad can help with mechanics and stuff. You can walk or ride your bikes together on a normal day. You can go to church and ask your parents to help you get closer to God more (I know mine have!).

Or you can spend a lot of your time at church learning about God and getting closer to him. This is my favorite thing to do in the summer. You can worship him all day at church. You can go to , sunday school, bible study, ...ect. But other than worship him at church, you can do many other things like clean the church, help with lunch, lead kids, help the old get where they need, lecture, ect.

There are too many things you can do but what I learned in sunday school is that there are theives of time and things you can benefit from time. The bad things are such as taking too much time on your phone, computer, facebook, T.V., and bad thoughts.

So enjoy God's creation, his gifts that he gave you, and most importantly, enjoy learning about him. I know I will.

• hahahaha, u know what, i am an only child too. haahha thanks. I was also thinking of getting sum arts and crafts or sumthing kits and doing those. yeh. soo thanks. anymore???
    CYA
  • u r obviously in australia or somewhere like that  :)  here in the northern hemisphere, it is very cold, the coldest in uk in 17 years! we have lots of snow.
    so i agree, do stuff with yr parents/family like cooking and fixing the car/bike. u can also grow vegetables and flowers. find out who is near u who is old or disabled and offer to do some tidying in the garden or cleaning. tidy up in church, or plan some craft activities for younger kids. get a newspaper delivery job and earn some money (in uk we can do this job from age 13, don't know about where u are). sit outside and study the Bible with friends in a park.
    just a few ideas.
    :)
  • There's always some sort of community service you can involved in. You can go to a soup kitchen, a retirement centre and visit those that have nobody to remember them, ask your church what services they do in the community. I know my church has something for everyone! I think that will be very rewarding for you!

Good for you for wanting to be productive :) God bless you!

mary
  • I think it would help if you made a schedule for yourself, thats flexible but also helps you keep your time wisely. I tried doing this and it was very nice when I stuck to it. You could for example learn hymns for an hour, read for half an hour, watch saint movies etc. Another thing is, if you have an ipod, you can download HH Pope Shenouda's sermons at http://www.copticpope.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=11. The great thing about them is you could be walking etc. and still benefit spiritually.
    I found through making a schedule that it was much easier to get alot done and still have free time on the side.

Please pray for me.
  • Try and suggest outings with your sunday school servants and your friends... It's much easier that way at your age lol. I can't remember what I used to do in those holidays... I think it's coz I was always overseas... like I am now LOL. How is the summer going by the way??
    Start by writing a list.
    I'd suggest going to the beach is pretty awesome... If you just go with friends, for a walk or just read a spiritual book... a lot of my friends do this but alone because we all drive... but you can go with friends and read books, hang out etc.
    Watch the new Narnia 3D :P I remember the 1st had some Christian symbolism... but I really can't remember.
    We all know, it's never too early to start serving... Maybe you can ask Abouna if there's anything that needs to be done with church service... such as cleaning the church etc.
    You may want to re-discover Asheya and Tasbeha..... Best things to do in any holidays.
    At your age, my suggestions need assistance from your sunday school servants and Abouna.. btw Father Matthew and Father Rofail are probably of the best priests yet... take advantage of them being your church priests.
    Cheers
  • OOOOHH!! Summer holidays... Australia... I get it!

Sorry.

Wait, so do you guys get July and August off from school? When does your school year begin?

This is all coming to me now. I understand why you said "summer holidays". I'm proud of myself.

So, note to self: Barbie in Australia is a barbecue, not a girl doll and December is summer time.

Is there anything else I need to know before I embarrass myself again? Do you have kangaroos in your houses? Do supermarkets sell kangaroo food? Is today, tomorrow in Australia.. or is today yesterday? Does an American accent sound weird to you guys?
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10066.msg123205#msg123205 date=1291322102]
    OOOOHH!! Summer holidays... Australia... I get it!

Sorry.

Wait, so do you guys get July and August off from school? When does your school year begin?

This is all coming to me now. I understand why you said "summer holidays". I'm proud of myself.

So, note to self: Barbie in Australia is a barbecue, not a girl doll and December is summer time.

Is there anything else I need to know before I embarrass myself again? Do you have kangaroos in your houses? Do supermarkets sell kangaroo food? Is today, tomorrow in Australia.. or is today yesterday? Does an American accent sound weird to you guys?

Mabrook lol *clap clap*

If I remember correctly, school students usually get 2 weeks in July as a Winter holiday.... Uni students range from 3 week to 2 whole months in Winter.... I usually get 6-7 weeks off, and usually a week extra from myself :P
    In summer, schools get 6 weeks off, whereas I get up to about 3 months :D... and that's why nobody has clashes with study and Christmas :) The school year starts on a thursday or friday around the week of 31st of January... whereas uni's usually start from mid-febuary or a week into march depending on the uni and sometimes in January for those studying medicine/dentistry or pharmacy (half our youth, really lol)

lol don't worry we still have Barbie dolls too..

Yeah there is Kangaroo meat sold at certain places, I never seen it at a supermarket before except for in a dried meat packet... "Kangaroo Jerky" I remember my bro had a packet of that snack for studying... really weird. Apparently it's an expensive meat... and not many of us have even tried it before. They say it's nice but chewey lol... but don't take my word for it.

Yes, today would be yesterday in Australia.. lol But i'm overseas now, so I'm behind just like the rest of the world :(
    It's great to see that you acknowledge that there is an American accent and we don't :P

Cheers
  • I meant food to feed the kangaroos (like dog food, cat food)-- not eating the kangaroos!

I'm not acknowledging that there is an American accent. Americans have no accents. The rest of the world does. We're an ego-centric country :P

That's really interesting how the school system works there. I just can't see the whole "sunny hot christmas" thing. Do you guys have your own christmas carols relating to your weather (eg: instead of "oh the weather outside is frightful and the fire is so delightful, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow"--to "oh it's a sunny bright christmas, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!").

Last question: When Aussies tell jokes, are the Americans the stupid saedis?
  • Man... u guys are sooooooooooo (etc. etc.) funny. hahahaha. Again with the Barbie (which was also on another of my forum posts) hahahah. and btw i ate kangaroo sausage a few weeks ago at school. It didnt really taste that much different from normal sausages but that might have been coz they were sausages and not real meat. ahhhh yeh it was also very soft and squishy but i am also not so sure if that was just because it was cooked funny or not. Yeh well sumtimes santa is portrayed as a guy in his shorts and singlet drinking beer in Australia (wooohooo go AUS) soorry bout that hahah. its very funny. But i dont think any of the songs are changes for us thats soooo sad. i have never seen snow. And i dont know about any one else but i dont think we use americans as saedies in jokes, we usually say saedi if it is with coptic people or blonde or just a dumb person. i have a joke if any one is interested. hahaha. ohhh and also btw i have neva seen a kangaroo up close like only on tv. hahah (maybe in the zoo or sumthing tho, but not in the city. ohhh yeh i also btw cant go to the beach coz my parents are now against it coz a couple of years back we went there and got sunburnt so now they only open to going to pool (which i wanna do in the next couple of weekends oorrrr since the holz are coming soon in the week or sumthing weneva i have time and can be bothered and wen its hot. yeh soooo yeh cya.

p.s. good work with figuring out i live in Aus hahahah
  • ok, so we are waiting for the joke...
    :P
  • Well, joke is..
    that there are two dumb sisters that own a farm and need to get a bull for their farm. One of them says "I will go and check out a bull and if it looks good I will tell u to come and check it out" so the other one said ok. So she went to the place with the bull and checked it out and found it to be very good. Only problem was that this was before the mobile so she couldnt text her sister to come check the bull out, so she asked the man that owned the bull if she could use his phone to call her sister but then she realised that they dont have a phone working at the moment at home. THen the man told her that he could do telegrams but the only problem with that is that she didnt have much money with her that she could spare to spend on the telegram, she only had $1.65. The man told her that each word was $1 to send. So she thought really hard and came up with one word she could send to her sister to make her come. She sent the word "comfortable". Later on when the man asked her why she sent comfortable she said because her sister is so slow and so dumb that by the time she reads the word then it would mean com-for-tha-bull. hahahah u get it. hahahah. (this is not meant to offend any slow readers or dumb people out there, otherwise i would b offending myself haahah i can b pretty dumb sometime ahahah) well cya
  • Thanks for sharing a nice joke ;)

In case you want to visit China during the summer holidays, here is a brief guide how to catch a subway in china,allegedly the rising superpower ::)

• [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=10066.msg123513#msg123513 date=1291579220]
    Thanks for sharing a nice joke ;)

In case you want to visit China during the summer holidays, here is a brief guide how to catch a subway in china,allegedly the rising superpower ::)

LOL  ;D
  • Well hmmm.... ill think about visiting China some other time hmmm (cough cough) hahaha, sorry tho i cant watch youtube on this computer so ill have to watch it someother time. well thanks any way. cya all
  • [quote author=I belong to Jesus link=topic=10066.msg123524#msg123524 date=1291580250]
    Well hmmm.... ill think about visiting China some other time hmmm (cough cough) hahaha, sorry tho i cant watch youtube on this computer so ill have to watch it someother time. well thanks any way. cya all

Talking about China... China is part of our diocese (Sydney)... Apparently the pope is visiting the church there to consecrate it in February I think... does anyone know anything about this btw?
  • What are Egyptians doing living in China? Egypt wasn't crowded enough for them?
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10066.msg123545#msg123545 date=1291591391]
    What are Egyptians doing living in China? Egypt wasn't crowded enough for them?

China is part of our diocese.... doesn't necessarily have to be Egyptians there to establish a church... We have a fully Chinese Coptic priest there and many converts. I believe China is in need of service like the rest of the world... Bishop Daniel has worked so hard to start the service in all of Asia... it's amazing really to know the extent of service in these countries... you have to see it to believe it. I think I saw so much more than I expected when I went to Thailand with our church youth group... it was probably the best trip ever in my Summer holidays... considering I haven't seen a good full aussie summer in 4 consecutive years now :(
  • very seriously cool.
    will pray for the church there
    :)