Muallem Fahim recordings - how to obtain them

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hi everyone,

For years I have been trying to acquire a complete collection of the recordings of the late Muallem Fahim Girgis, who used to serve in St Mark's Cathedral, Azbakeya, Cairo. I find his recordings are very comprehensive.

This is what I currently have:
-Vespers, Matins & St Basil's Liturgy: 11 cassette tapes
-St Gregory Liturgy: 3 cassette tapes
-Tasbeha: 32 cassette tapes
-Church "occasions" (Nairooz, St John the Baptist, Feast of Cross, St Mark, etc) - 7 cassette tapes (INCOMPLETE COLLECTION).

It is that last category that I wish to complete. I have only 7 tapes. The 7th tape is for "Nativity, Circumcision and Epiphany." There are obviously more tapes because it seems that he had recorded the hymns in order from the start of the Coptic year (Nairooz) onwards.

Does anyone know where or how I can get them?

Regards,

Mechaiel

Comments

• Why are you so interested in him, specifically?
  • there are separate lice occasions tapes that i know ppl brought from the old cathedral in egypt.

[quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9918.msg121435#msg121435 date=1288202493]
    Why are you so interested in him, specifically?

why wouldn't he be?! yes he's not like the other old cantors.....but he was the pope's deacon......like Ibrahim Ayad.
  • I was just curious as to the interest.

You may get all of the tapes (i do not know if they are available on CD or mp3) at St. Mary & St. Antonious Coptic Orthodox Church, Queens, NY.

I believe Fr. Samuel of the Archangel Michael & St. Mina in Staten Island, NY had a website for this Cantor when he was a layman (prior to entering the priesthood).

I hope the information is helpful.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9918.msg121443#msg121443 date=1288206975]
    I believe Fr. Samuel of the Archangel Michael & St. Mina in Staten Island, NY had a website for this Cantor when he was a layman (prior to entering the priesthood).

really....wow. i'll have to ask odsoh about it than.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9918.msg121435#msg121435 date=1288202493]
    Why are you so interested in him, specifically?

Allow me to explain:

Many years ago, and before currently available sources were made (eg HCOC, Ibrahim Ayad etc), it was difficult to find a recording from a fairly trusted source that taught church rites. By that I mean that Muallem Fahim explained the rites in a logical and systematic way, then chanted the hymns, respectively.

I'll give an example:
    In Nairooz, you would say:
    (1) Vespers Praises:  Watos or Adam Psali for Nairooz (in Joyous tune)
    (2) Vespers: Joyous tune, Verses of Cymbals for Nairooz, Nairooz Doxology, Psalm response, Gospel response, Concluding prayer phrase (Amen alleluia zoxa Patri .. Ezmo e pi-eklom...).
    (3) Midnight Praises: Joyous tune, Nairooz Doxology, Psali for Nairooz
    (4) Matins: Same as Vespers
    (5) Mass: Joyous tune, Alleluia Fai pe pi, Tai shori, Acts response for Nairooz, Psalm response, Gospel response, Adam Aspasmos, Watos Aspasmos, Psalm 150, Communion Hymn for Nairooz, Concluding Prayer phrase.

Nowadays, there are many useful sources of these rites & hymns, but I have not found any single source that has recorded all church occasions in this comprehensive approach. HCOC is excellent but they have not yet recorded everything. Muallem Ibrahim Ayad is fantastic but, again, he has not recorded everything. Muallem Fahim is the only one I know of that has. That is why I am so eager to complete my collection of his recordings.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9918.msg121439#msg121439 date=1288204323]
    there are separate lice occasions tapes that i know ppl brought from the old cathedral in egypt.

Hi Mina,

I am interested in getting copies of those live recordings as well. If they were in a format that could be emailed to me, that would be great (eg mp3). If they are old cassette tapes, I would be happy to pay for any costs, eg, cost of copying onto another cassette, then sending it to me by post.

Regards,

Mechaiel
  • [quote author=mechaiel link=topic=9918.msg121888#msg121888 date=1289312315]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=9918.msg121439#msg121439 date=1288204323]
    there are separate lice occasions tapes that i know ppl brought from the old cathedral in egypt.

Hi Mina,

I am interested in getting copies of those live recordings as well. If they were in a format that could be emailed to me, that would be great (eg mp3). If they are old cassette tapes, I would be happy to pay for any costs, eg, cost of copying onto another cassette, then sending it to me by post.

Regards,

Mechaiel

Hi guys,

I think it might be worthwhile if these liturgies could be made available on this site. Provided, of course, that the necessary people agreed to that...

Cheers,
    Andrew
  • [quote author=andrewtanios link=topic=9918.msg122010#msg122010 date=1289443811]
    [quote author=mechaiel link=topic=9918.msg121888#msg121888 date=1289312315]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=9918.msg121439#msg121439 date=1288204323]

Hi Mina,

Regards,

Mechaiel

Hi guys,

I think it might be worthwhile if these liturgies could be made available on this site. Provided, of course, that the necessary people agreed to that...

Cheers,
    Andrew

pray that we get the time.
  • umm so i've never heard anything by Cantor Fahim..... anyone have a random mp3?
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=9918.msg122015#msg122015 date=1289444918]
    umm so i've never heard anything by Cantor Fahim..... anyone have a random mp3?

i like this: Palm Sunday exposition/commentary (mashenak)
    or one of these:
    http://www.alhan-youthbishopric.com/alhan/hr/hymns/index.asp